Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackstone analysis for early IMS failure detection on CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blackstone analysis for early IMS failure detection on CPO?

I have a 2005 997 with 10 months of CPO warranty remaining. I'm debating on a Blackstone oil analysis to detect early signs of IMS failure before my CPO ends. If all signs point to failing IMS, will Porsche replace this prior to failure? If not, will a failing IMS cause engine damage prior to failure (i.e. should I wait until the end of the CPO to perform the upgrade or will that take an unnecessary toll on the engine?)

Last edited by zer026T; 03-07-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I would wait until end of CPO to upgrade. If the old bearing goes (unlikely) before CPO is up you get a new engine.

I also do Blackstone analysis on my oil every change just to check the general health of the engine.

Edit, I'm not so sure you can use oil analysis to convince the dealer to fix the engine while under CPO. That sounds like an uphill battle.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Never heard of a preemptive IMS putback to Porsche. Good idea.

IMS failures seem to begin with larger chucks in a not so gradual process. Might be tough to catch by the intervals of oil analysis. That said, oil analysis would be worth doing and certainly right before the CPO expires. The breakdown of the nonmetallic seal might show up.

I'd be proactive with them. If they don't do anything, I'd replace the IMS after the warranty.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Most likely they won't... I will wait another 6-8 months, if all is well, do an analysis, get a report then take it in to try. If you're unlucky (lucky), your IMS may fail by then, if not, then you're lucky?

All is not lost if nothing happens, if all is well, and you go through CPO, just upgrade IMS after CPO and do your clutch at the same time and then sleep easy!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i would get the analysis anyway - it's only about 40 ducats incl. UPS. i get mine done after every change (more frequent since i track) and it def gives me peace of mind.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

One Blackstone UOA will tell you very little. It's the cumulative data points over several tests that can start to give you some (limited) insight about the engine's true health.

Porsche is NOT going to do anything pro-active based on a downward trending UOA.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you considered the IMS Guardian: http://www.imsretrofit.com/ims-guardian/ BTW, has anyone tried this device?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 PM
colombiano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zer026T
I have a 2005 997 with 10 months of CPO warranty remaining. I'm debating on a Blackstone oil analysis to detect early signs of IMS failure before my CPO ends. If all signs point to failing IMS, will Porsche replace this prior to failure? If not, will a failing IMS cause engine damage prior to failure (i.e. should I wait until the end of the CPO to perform the upgrade or will that take an unnecessary toll on the engine?)

There is a place in Burlington that does them. I did one test before on my BMW to ensure all was okay do to high km's but all was good. I was concerned about Head Gasket going as I saw lots of white smoke but was not the case.

Let me know your findings.

Quick Reply: Blackstone analysis for early IMS failure detection on CPO?