Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My water pump failed at 9,000 miles.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:11 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
My water pump failed at 9,000 miles.
Wow, that's the lowest mileage failure so far. Did the p-dealer provide an explanation. Just one of those freak failures I hope...
Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

No. In fact, it was leaking before then--only after repeated visits did they finally break down and order a new one.

Porsche--was always an air cooled company. They still have no clue about what to do to move liquids around an engine...
Old 03-10-2013, 05:53 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Hmmm... I wonder if it was a WP component failure or a factory installation oversight... ie someone at the factory didn't torque all the bolts down properly - crisscross torquing the bolts and then recheck all bolts to double check for proper torque setting. Did the p-dealer happen to mention if it was an impeller or bearing failure? If an impeller failed then they should have disconnected and inspected all the coolant hoses for any impeller debris which may obstruct the coolant system or travel into the engine block down the road. On a bearing failure it's just a WP replacement. Improper torque settings from the factory would still require removal of the WP and replacement of the gasket... they could reuse the WP but they likely replaced it JIC.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
No. In fact, it was leaking before then--only after repeated visits did they finally break down and order a new one.
My water pump was leaking as well, which is why I decided to replace it. Oddly, the car sat parked in the garage for a week before it just randomly leaked a cup of coolant on the floor. Kinda looked like a large dog that had gone wee all over the floor. I think she was embarrassed frankly, having accidently gone wet 'em.

In my case, there was 65K on the motor. I *think* my pump was original because the connection points in the multi-gasket for the water pump had never been cut. The impeller blades looked fine, for whatever that's worth.

Quick Reply: Water pump failure..........how mine got identified