Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving with the climate control module removed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013 | 02:11 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Default Driving with the climate control module removed?

My climate control module had the typical fan and temp button wear issues. So I removed it to have the buttons redone. I didn't have 6 mm Torx wrench (ah, the Torx bites me yet again...) so I just sent the whole module in. It should be back sometime mid-week. Meanwhile, my daughter just asked if we could go for a drive today. Being a sucker for cute little blond girls, it's hard to say no. However, I do know if you replace the module, you'll need a PIWIS or one of the durametric pro diagnostic tools to get everything to work right. So, anyone know if I can simply go for a drive without the module and not need a durametric to fix any issues when it comes back in?

Also, do your really need the Pro version to fix the climate control problems? I'm going to get a durametric in the near future and would rather pay $287 for the enthusiast rather than $785 for the pro. I only have one 997 and don't see myself exceeding 2 additional cars in the next half-decade. However, the closest dealership to me is over 100 miles away, so I'm pretty much it when it comes to fixing the car. I'd probably opt for the pro if it meant I could fix stuff that needed fixing.
Old 03-10-2013 | 03:11 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

I had my buttons fixed and sent out the whole module as I didn't want to open it myself. I didn't need any tools to have it working again once I got it back. I didn't drive the car the three days the unit was removed from it, so I don't know if you'll have any issues by driving the car without it. Anyways, if you remove the unit to have the buttons refinished, you don't need any tools to get it to work again. I believe that only matters if you were replacing the unit itself by another one, as far as I know.
Old 03-10-2013 | 06:27 PM
997C2
Advanced

How do you re-finish the buttons? I need that done too but was looking on EBay for a replacement, but they are quite expensive. Who does that kind of work and how much does it cost? Thanks!
Old 03-10-2013 | 06:45 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

I paid about $150, if I recall correctly by sending them to the guy from stickynomore.com. I think that was the price but it was about 9 months ago. That price was because I sent the unit out assembled - it is less than that if you disassemble it prior to shipping.

Last edited by cibergypsy; 03-10-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2013 | 06:53 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

I'm using Sticky No More (www.stickynomore.com). I think they originated in the Ferrari market, basically they specialize in refinishing interior buttons. They're based in Waldorf, MD. In my case, the turn around on my part was like 1 day. I don't have the module back yet, so I can't tell you about the quality, but the photos I've seen look so much better than the worn buttons.

Price was $90 if I just sent in buttons and $160 if I sent the whole module. If you decide to disassemble the module, you'll likely need a Torx 6. That's a really small Torx...I couldn't find one in town (although I live in a small town).

Do a google search on "refinishing climate control buttons 997" and you'll see several threads showing results. Also a good thread on how to remove the module and disassemble to remove the buttons. Oddly the thread I read suggested the Torx screws were Allen. Maybe they are for very early 997s? I have a 2005 997.1 and I certainly don't have Allen. Not only that, but I couldn't find an Allen that would come close to fitting Torx 6. (Yea, you probably shouldn't use Allen for Torx, but i was wondering if the original author didn't realize they were Torx and just jammed an Allen in there).

In my case, clouds have rolled in during the afternoon and some flakes have fallen. So my girl is still sitting buttoned up in the garage in her car cover. Too cold out for her. I'll just wait till the module gets back in a couple of days before I bother to take her for a drive.

Quick Reply: Driving with the climate control module removed?