Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for that crackle, gurgle and pop...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Start with the center muffler crossover pipes (shark, I have AWE). It's easily reversible. if you want more go for the gundo/fister hack or different side cans. I opted for AWE side cans with the crossover pipes and it is not loud until you get up around 4k. It does have a nice burble and pop and has a much deeper sound than stock. I think it sounds sweet. Wife doesn't think it is loud either. 997.2 sounds a bit wheezy w/o a little exhaust work or PSE.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:54 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
I think some, especially those that have no experience with it, misunderstand Tubi. It's really an amazing system: it is relatively quiet at idle and low RPMs, but comes to life at 4k+ RPMs. You get the character, the prerequisite crackle, gurgle and pop, and, above all, like PSE, dual character. But, unlike PSE, your switch is activated/deactivated by your right foot, instead of some silly button on the center console.
I like the "silly button on the center console."
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gripster
So:

1) Center muffler bypass = louder sound, same character (not much gurgle, pop, crackle)
2) Gundo/Fister = louder sound, more character (gurgle, pop, crackle)
3) Center muffler bypass + Gundo/Fister = much louder sound and more character

I will probably just do #2 right? I guess, I'm just striving for PSE experience on the cheap....
In order to get the PSE experience of a 997.1 in a 997.2, you will have to replace the center muffler with straight pipes. The center muffler "pre-silences" the exhaust before it reaches the side mufflers. So if you don't get the sound you are expecting from the Gundo/Fister, just add the Sharkwerks pipes.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocco07
I'd also recommend incremental changes. I started with the Sharkwerks and it's all I need for my 997.2 with stock mufflers.
I didn't want the hassle of using my mufflers or sourcing used ones to support the Gundo mod. as a first step. The Sharkwerks replaces the center muffler and if I didn't like it, I'm sure it wouldn't last ten mintes in the For Sale section. If the Sharkwerks didn't make me smile, then maybe I'd add the Gundo. But, I like how it sounds now with just the Sharkwerks.
Originally Posted by PHX 911
The nice thing about first eliminating the center silencer with a straight pipe is that you can incrementally increase the sound by doing the gundo later, if that's not loud enough for you. It's also very cost effective.

+997.2 These posts are spot on. I did the Gundo first and wish I would have done the Sharkwerks first. First thing you have to do on a .2 car is get rid of that center muffler. Rocco07 is correct. If you don't like it center muffler by-pass pipes sell in about 30 seconds here.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the TUBI ...
Smooth gurgle.. And not overly loud.. Transforms to a beast at >4k Rpm
Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,178 Likes on 773 Posts

I have Sharkwerks centre bypass and Cargraphic sides, enjoying the sound it delivers!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:13 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It wasn't available on the early 997.2 cars. The exhaust on those is quite lame. You need to spring for the PSE. Much improved. The 991 with PSE is incredible--and roughly the same engine as the 997.2
Right on Dan, I can't express enough how pleased I am w/ my PSE and I get plenty of compliments from others. As far as the "button" I think it looks great on the console. If you don't want to play with it, you simple pull the plug in the engine bay(like I did) to keep it always on. If you join the PCA, you are entitled to a decent discount on parts and labor at the dealership. I think it's 15% on parts and 10% on labor. Can't recall right now, but you can inquire at your dealership. Some give more or less than others.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Looking for that crackle, gurgle and pop...