Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for that crackle, gurgle and pop...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Looking for that crackle, gurgle and pop...

Loving my 997.2 C2 so far. It's a just few weeks into ownership and just a couple hundred miles (it's not my DD) and my only complaint is like so many others. The exhaust note is too tame for a Sports Car.

I'm not looking for superloud. The car has to appeal to the Mrs, if it is going to get driven on weekends. The sound I'm looking for is that gurgling, popping sound like in this video

Now I know that this is PSE on a 991 so I'm not going to get that exact sound, but that is the goal. PSE seems great, but I'm struggling to justify the $4k+ that it's going to cost to add PSE. The on/off functionality seems great, but really, that's a bit much to just add a sound track.

The two other options are Gundo Hack and Sharkwerks bypass. Which of these would be closer to that sound I'm looking for? I've searched and looked on youtube extensively, but nothing seems to answer this specific question.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 AM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some posters have indicated that gundo hack sounds very similar to pse.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

As above, I recommend getting a Gundo/ Fister mod to your side mufflers $400, then getting a Sharkwerks center muffler bypass $800...substantial savings and will give you great exhaust note.

After some time if the car is still quiet to you, sell the side mufflers and get a Tubi system 3k for the side mufflers...you won't go wrong with either..

Personally I have the first set up on my 997.2 and love it.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vg247
As above, I recommend getting a Gundo/ Fister mod to your side mufflers $400, then getting a Sharkwerks center muffler bypass $800...substantial savings and will give you great exhaust note.

After some time if the car is still quiet to you, sell the side mufflers and get a Tubi system 3k for the side mufflers...you won't go wrong with either..

Personally I have the first set up on my 997.2 and love it.
+1 on that ^. Two weeks after getting my '10 C2S with stock mufflers, I added the Sharkwerks pipes, which added some volume to the sound. 6 weeks later I added PSE. Beaftiful music, burbles, and pops! You could go with the Gundo mod instead of PSE.

If you do just one or the other of the two, I think you will be disappointed that the sound is not what you were looking for. IMO, doing both options will give you what you want.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

The Gundo on my 997.1 is awesome! I love the extra character without it being over the top sounding. I know the 997.2 has some extra work to get the same sound, but the Gundo is pure value for the $ in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:51 AM
PTParks
Instructor

+1 on the Gundo. Cheap thrills for sure!!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
+1 on that ^. Two weeks after getting my '10 C2S with stock mufflers, I added the Sharkwerks pipes, which added some volume to the sound. 6 weeks later I added PSE. Beaftiful music, burbles, and pops! You could go with the Gundo mod instead of PSE.

If you do just one or the other of the two, I think you will be disappointed that the sound is not what you were looking for. IMO, doing both options will give you what you want.
So Sharkwerks just makes it louder and you need PSE/Gundo for the burble/pop stuff? I might start with Gundo then do Sharkwerks. I'm not especially looking for loud, I just want more character. The stock exhaust feels like my E90 sedan right now!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM
mr.precision
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a used Tubi for my 2007 C2S. Sound is quite tame unless you push the car hard. I was surprised that the muffler cans were not near as loud as some other Tubi systems I've heard on non-Porsche cars.

The used cans had virtually no miles on them and I paid $1400 delivered to my door. Installed them in 2 hours with the help of a friend and a lift.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I think some, especially those that have no experience with it, misunderstand Tubi. It's really an amazing system: it is relatively quiet at idle and low RPMs, but comes to life at 4k+ RPMs. You get the character, the prerequisite crackle, gurgle and pop, and, above all, like PSE, dual character. But, unlike PSE, your switch is activated/deactivated by your right foot, instead of some silly button on the center console.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd also recommend incremental changes. I started with the Sharkwerks and it's all I need for my 997.2 with stock mufflers.
I didn't want the hassle of using my mufflers or sourcing used ones to support the Gundo mod. as a first step. The Sharkwerks replaces the center muffler and if I didn't like it, I'm sure it wouldn't last ten mintes in the For Sale section. If the Sharkwerks didn't make me smile, then maybe I'd add the Gundo. But, I like how it sounds now with just the Sharkwerks.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Gripster
Loving my 997.2 C2 so far. It's a just few weeks into ownership and just a couple hundred miles (it's not my DD) and my only complaint is like so many others. The exhaust note is too tame for a Sports Car.

I'm not looking for superloud. The car has to appeal to the Mrs, if it is going to get driven on weekends. The sound I'm looking for is that gurgling, popping sound like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUFjEwsGqYI

Now I know that this is PSE on a 991 so I'm not going to get that exact sound, but that is the goal. PSE seems great, but I'm struggling to justify the $4k+ that it's going to cost to add PSE. The on/off functionality seems great, but really, that's a bit much to just add a sound track.

The two other options are Gundo Hack and Sharkwerks bypass. Which of these would be closer to that sound I'm looking for? I've searched and looked on youtube extensively, but nothing seems to answer this specific question.
It wasn't available on the early 997.2 cars. The exhaust on those is quite lame. You need to spring for the PSE. Much improved. The 991 with PSE is incredible--and roughly the same engine as the 997.2
Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Bullseye7
Instructor

I have Fister mufflers on my 997.1 and find them to be plenty loud. I've noticed that a lot more people walking on the streets now turn around to see what's coming up the road now than before. As for the sound I get a lot more of that crackle and pop that you're looking for, especially when the engine is cold.

You should give Darin a call at FD Motorsports to discuss how to get that "997.1 with Fister sound" on your 997.2. He was really helpful with me.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullseye7
I have Fister mufflers on my 997.1 and find them to be plenty loud. I've noticed that a lot more people walking on the streets now turn around to see what's coming up the road now than before. As for the sound I get a lot more of that crackle and pop that you're looking for, especially when the engine is cold.

You should give Darin a call at FD Motorsports to discuss how to get that "997.1 with Fister sound" on your 997.2. He was really helpful with me.
+1 - Same exact experience. If you want your wife to stay happy, don't go beyond Gundo/Fister. IMO, it'll be too loud.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The nice thing about first eliminating the center silencer with a straight pipe is that you can incrementally increase the sound by doing the gundo later, if that's not loud enough for you. It's also very cost effective.

I have the Tubi system which eliminates the center silencer and replaces the side cans with their mufflers, and as some have said, it's not loud at moderate throttle, but you hear music past mid-throttle position. I get a burp both on upshifts and downshifts with a PDK in Sport mode with the Tubi.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

So:

1) Center muffler bypass = louder sound, same character (not much gurgle, pop, crackle)
2) Gundo/Fister = louder sound, more character (gurgle, pop, crackle)
3) Center muffler bypass + Gundo/Fister = much louder sound and more character

I will probably just do #2 right? I guess, I'm just striving for PSE experience on the cheap....

Quick Reply: Looking for that crackle, gurgle and pop...