Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asking too much from dealership service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:39 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Asking too much from dealership service?

I have an 06 997 cab with 38k miles, bought it last year when I sold my 993, it's Porsche certified.

Monday, the battery died on me, down the street, literally two blocks (2 minutes) away from the dealership where I have the car (and my Audi Q5 and Mercedes CLK 500) serviced. I called and was instructed to call Porsche Roadside Assistance for a jump.

I was surprised, as I know they are always jumping their lot vehicles with those small battery chargers, and they certainly could have had the courtesy vehicle or a lot kid whip over to me. I would not expect them to come to my house, or really anywhere farther away, but two blocks down the street? Two minute drive in traffic according to Google Maps.

I did not buy this car there (I called but they did not have a car for me when I was looking), but I have bought two 911s in the past, the first one back in 2002. I called my sales guy next, but got his voicemail and wasn't sure if he was in, so I waited in the parking lot for Roadside to show. Ironically, their trucks were out, so they sent someone over less than an hour later in a 6 series BMW with the little portable jump starter, he fired it up (I had to show him where the battery was) and I drove the two blocks to the dealer where they pronounced the battery dead, not covered under warranty, and charged me $460 for a new one. I got the car back Wednesday. No loaner, either, but that's not a surprise.

I don't expect the service advisor to know me by name (although he does recognize me). I don't buy a new Porsche there every year, so I don't expect white glove service or people falling all over me when I walk in the door. But still. Two blocks?

Or am I expecting too much? What do you think?

The car was getting balky a couple months ago on the starting and I drove it by there, they said the battery tested fine and told me to put it on a trickle charger (it already was for the winter). It had been better lately. Turns out it was the original battery from 2005. Surprised they didn't replace it when the car was certified. Would have been a nice gesture to cover it since I've had the car less than a year and driven it more than 6000 miles a year, which is their benchmark. That's another story, I suppose.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could have come down to who exactly you talked to. There are only a couple of people at my dealership who know me.
If neither happened to answer the phone, I'd expect everyone else to be apathetic to my issue. But I'd sure try and get one of them first.
ANY salesperson who thinks you may be a potential future customer should have assisted you.
It's just smart to build rapport.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

did you just say you paid $460 for a battery...? theyre, like, $100 bucks at walmart. sorry, i'm not rubbing your nose in it but merely point out (to you and ALL the readers) that once again it "pays" to either find a good indy or learn DIY, and to avoid the stealerships.

after hearing the diagnosis/cost, you should have just told them to tow it to a parking space and that you'd be back in an hour for a quarter of the cost (walmart batt + cab fare).
Old 05-16-2013, 03:42 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I expected it to be covered under the certified warranty, as it met the factory criteria ... the car had been driven more than 6000 miles since I bought it and I had owned it for less than one year. But since it was the original battery from 2005, they denied the claim. $270 for the battery and labor to test the charging system. I was not thrilled, obviously.

And yes, I have a great independent that I have worked with for years, but since the car was certified, it went to the dealer. And I never got an estimate, either, just a bill.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

They're not only douches for not helping you when you were so close, but they're douches for charging you for the battery and triple douches for not giving you a loaner. I fail to see how the fact that your certified car had the original battery disqualifies you from getting a new one under the CPO.

To top it off, I would seriously question the competence of a service department that takes two days to put in a battery and then charges you almost $500 for the privilege.

Post the dealership name. A store so packed with crooks and imbeciles needs to be called out.

And by the way, there are aftermarket batteries out there that are much less expensive and much better than the OEM.

Just to add fuel to the fire, just this week, the battery in my wife's Lexus (2011 GX 460 that she bought CPO from the local Lexus dealer) died over the weekend. I jumped it and dropped it off at their service department on Sunday. At 10 AM on Monday morning, they called and said they had replaced the battery under warranty, washed and vacuumed the truck and it was ready to go. When I picked it up the service writer asked why I hadn't just called their roadside assistance and they would have come to get it and saved me the trip.

That's how you keep customers, Porsche.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

When you get the CSI questionnaire its " Hammer Time" those are very important to dealers.

AAA would have put a battery in on site for $185...
Old 05-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

$460 is about right at the dealer, that is what I was quoted for a Mercedes battery. I told them I'll replace it myself and did it myself for $80 + 20 minutes of my time. It was wrong for the dealer not to call you before replacing it. Every dealer I've been too tell me what needs to be replace and the price and if I want them to replace it.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:58 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't understand the dealer's actions.

When I got my '06 C4S Cab (last year) it had 17,000 km on it. The dealer installed a new battery (as the original battery was still in it) AND new Michelin rubber! I didn't have to ask.

For what we're paying them for these (fantastic) used cars, the dealer should automatically install a fresh battery in any 4 yr old car.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:15 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

I had some trouble with my 09 C2S after having it in for service at the local dealer. The car ran, but they hadn't properly burped the cooling service so the temperature warning light was coming on. I called the dealership and asked what they wanted me to do. The service adviser connected me to the service manager who asked where I was. I was about 30 minutes away, but still in the general metropolitan area. He said he was on the way with a loaner for me. He came, gave me the keys to the loaner, and then he waited for Porsche Roadside Assistance to respond. When I went to pick the car up he was very critical of PRA, but I was very happy with the service from the dealer. I wrote the General Manager/Owner telling them how much I appreciated this level of service. The next time I had the car in for an oil change, the Service Manager was in the drive holding the car door for me when I got there. It just depends on the dealer. Some are good, some are rotten.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Then the dealerships wonder why we do not bring our cars to them for service. If they charged me $460 for a battery I would never return to that dealership for anything. I am fine with paying my fare share but please do not rape me and expect me to be happy about it.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:09 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Years ago the battery on my 06S went (05 build date) in 09.
Dealer said Porsche battery was $400+ offered an interstate instead for half the price.
I really appreciate their service!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 PM
A2b
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like Chambers-like behavior. I just had my RMS done at Prime via CPO last week and it was fine. He called me every day to update me and they gave me an Accord as a loaner. Oil changes and such I do at an indy, who informed me of the leak. Didn't buy the 997 or our Audi there either. I know Norwell gets rave reviews, just a bit too far to for me.

Your expectations were not high.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Terrible service......just a shame but so situational. My dealer treats me like I'm a king........I's never go anywhere else! I would've complained to Porsche!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you shouldn't have to pay for something you didn't know about
Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

"where I have the car (and my Audi Q5 and Mercedes CLK 500) serviced."

Are we talking a bout a Porsche dealer? Which one?

Quick Reply: Asking too much from dealership service?