Sponsored by:

Mod - FVD Oil Pan plus Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Not much different then. I was eyeballing looking at the bolt ends versus the bottom end of the pan.

Now I'm thinking of getting the skid plate at suncoast just for the heck of it.

Is there any downside to the baffle pan? Just thinking it might be a good mod for general engine life too.
CVT, I rechecked my facts today and measured both pans with a calipers. I sorry to say that my prior statement was off with regards to the FVD pan measurement. It's actually 1.090" at it's thickest point not 0.75". So there is an approximate 1/2" delta between the stock and FVD pans. BTW, I should have some time to jack up the car tomorrow and see if the p-skid plate will still fit.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Not much different then. I was eyeballing looking at the bolt ends versus the bottom end of the pan.

Now I'm thinking of getting the skid plate at suncoast just for the heck of it.

Is there any downside to the baffle pan? Just thinking it might be a good mod for general engine life too.
I put her up on jackstands to inspect for any leaks around the new oil pan. While I was under there I tried on the Porsche skid plate for size. Good news... it fits.

Here's a straight on view from the back end. This revealed that my long race piped headers actually hang down lower(~0.5"-0.75" lower) than the FVD oil pan.
Name:  P1020468.JPG
Views: 11532
Size:  158.8 KBName:  P1020469.JPG
Views: 11599
Size:  158.6 KB

Even though the FVD pan is thicker than the stock pan by ~0.5" the skid plate still fits snugly up against it. So it is possible to install the Porsche skid plate over the FVD oil pan.
Name:  P1020471.JPG
Views: 13259
Size:  159.2 KBName:  P1020472.JPG
Views: 11598
Size:  168.5 KBName:  P1020473.JPG
Views: 12491
Size:  173.2 KB

Re downsides to the baffle pan... well there's the added expense of an addition quart of oil with each oil change. Small price considering the benefits. The thicker pan will hang lower than the stock pan by ~0.5" so that could potentially present a lower profile/point of impact under the car. In my case, the headers are my lowest potential POI beneath the car. Plus the FVD pan looks much more capable of surviving a fit then the thin stock pan. Lastly, the skid plate is already lower than either pans should you wish to use it for extra protection... BTW, I would leave the skid plate off for at least a week after installation of the FVD pan so that you can inspect it for any oil leaks. GL with the mod and enjoy the ride.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Very pro write up!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

USMC DS1, your car is looking very nice under there. Assume your going with the skid plate on a permanent basis. Look forward to hearing about your track days.

Btw. The Headers look great.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

CVT, I'm still a little torn re the skid plate. I have it off for now so I can keep tabs on any leaks over the next few weeks then I may skid plate her permanently. Thanks re the headers... it's part of the FVD exhaust system I installed last year. It's a screamer at WOT. http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...ps_4x90mm.html
Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Useful Writeup

USMC_DS1,
Very nice write up. I'm using it this weekend to install the FVD pan on my Cayman. I like the way you have all the DIY articles in one list. Please feel free to look at some of my articles on P-9. Carrera Mike's third radiator was very helpful when doing that install.

Regards,

Rob VN
Old 06-14-2013, 12:07 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Rob VN, thanks and let us know what you think of the FVD pan. So far it's helped to lower my oil temps... I'm still waiting for the summer temps to finally get up in the triple digits here to assess if it'll make an impact during the peak of our TX summer. Oil pressure has been good as well.

Have to agree with you re Carrera Mike... excellent 3rd rad write-up and got me thru my own install as well. BTW, those Setrab articles you posted on p-9 are quality. Funny I have the same set of service wrenches from Harbor Freight. Great to meet a fellow DIYer.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

USMC_DS1,
I picked up the tub like you showed and drained the oil into it. Since the oil only has about 600 miles on it and is Joe Gibbs DT40 I saved it after straining it through a paint filter into some clean gallon cans. The old deep sump is off, the pickup extension is on and the dry fit was done using two decapitated bolts as guide pins. A lot of scraping is up next. Roger on the Setrab articles. That was my really crazed experimental phase......I proved that you need a twin fanpack to cool the motor oil and if you don't have an LSD the trans axle oil never gets hot enough to turn on the cooler fan. Anyway those pieces now live in the Northwest Territories.
Regards,

Rob VN
Old 01-04-2014, 01:57 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

I just finished an install of the FVD unit yesterday. Initially I was going to go with the LN sump spacer kit but decided to go with the FVD in spite of the price difference. I liked the balance between capacity and underhang the FVD offered and the fact that I didn't need to mess with modifying the stock oil baffles and have a second seam with the sump spacer.

Thanks to USMC's excellent DIY on this thread the install went seamlessly. Pushing it in at an angle per his instructions made all the difference as I probably never would have figured that out on my own. It seems like it will go in fine going straight up until you get to the last half inch where it becomes a no go.

I was happy to find no debris in the sump or pick up screen on the original sump (car has 86K miles) but I got lucky because the sealant "worms" from the original install were substantial but hadn't detached from the seam and clogged the pickup. Seeing that and based on another thread showing the result of excess sealant clogging the oil intake along with Jake Raby's tutorial on the the LN kit installation I went with the loctite 518 and used Jake's technique of spreading a thin film over the entire surface rather then a fat bead. It's my understanding the loctite won't harden as much as the OEM sealant which is another protection from too much in my mind.

Also installed the LN oil filter adaptor as well while I was at it. First test run showed no leaks, higher average oil pressure and slightly lower overall temperature.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:10 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RDykmans
I just finished an install of the FVD unit yesterday. Initially I was going to go with the LN sump spacer kit but decided to go with the FVD in spite of the price difference. I liked the balance between capacity and underhang the FVD offered and the fact that I didn't need to mess with modifying the stock oil baffles and have a second seam with the sump spacer.

Thanks to USMC's excellent DIY on this thread the install went seamlessly. Pushing it in at an angle per his instructions made all the difference as I probably never would have figured that out on my own. It seems like it will go in fine going straight up until you get to the last half inch where it becomes a no go.

I was happy to find no debris in the sump or pick up screen on the original sump (car has 86K miles) but I got lucky because the sealant "worms" from the original install were substantial but hadn't detached from the seam and clogged the pickup. Seeing that and based on another thread showing the result of excess sealant clogging the oil intake along with Jake Raby's tutorial on the the LN kit installation I went with the loctite 518 and used Jake's technique of spreading a thin film over the entire surface rather then a fat bead. It's my understanding the loctite won't harden as much as the OEM sealant which is another protection from too much in my mind.

Also installed the LN oil filter adaptor as well while I was at it. First test run showed no leaks, higher average oil pressure and slightly lower overall temperature.
Good deal - glad it went well.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:30 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Congrats RDykmans on a successful DIY! Getting the proper sealant sized line placed consistently around the pan was definitely one of the more challenging aspects of the project along with angling the unit... As an FYI, 9+ months after my own install and zero leaks and/or issues. Enjoy the Ride!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm interested in this mod as well but the site says that this isn't to be used with a 3.8 S engine. I know the 997 s cars have a baffled system already but I'd like to add the extra oil and improved baffle system to help pressure related problems on the track.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:38 PM
betonred
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was tempted to do the fvd oil pan, my motor just had ims failure.
porsche is putting a new motor in for me and with that a 2 year warranty is offered.

being that i have the warranty i do not want to jeopardize the coverage so i will just continue with the oem oil pan

that being said, most race teams told me this is a critical mod for those who track. I will try my luck for the two years i have coverage
Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by betonred
i was tempted to do the fvd oil pan, my motor just had ims failure.
porsche is putting a new motor in for me and with that a 2 year warranty is offered.

being that i have the warranty i do not want to jeopardize the coverage so i will just continue with the oem oil pan

that being said, most race teams told me this is a critical mod for those who track. I will try my luck for the two years i have coverage
FYI, I asked my p-dealer about the mod before purchase as my car was still covered by CPO. They said it was fine. May be worth asking your p-dealer if you get tempted. FWIW, the pan increased my oil pressure and lowered my oil temp especially during those hard driving sessions in the summer.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I contacted FVD about a deep pan for the 3.8 engine and it was told that they won't have a production run until hopefully fall of 2014. I'll just wait but I hope they do a production run as ai would love to add this to my list of things to do.

Quick Reply: Mod - FVD Oil Pan plus Baffles