Sponsored by:

Carrera GTS P17 retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 AM
sda
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carrera GTS P17 retrofit

I've been searching high and low and can't seem to find a definitive answer to this:
Can the P17 Option, Sport Suspension, be retrofitted to a Carrera GTS? I haven't found anyone that's done it tried it in the forums, nor do I know if the parts can be ordered from the dealer. My main objective is to lower the car slightly, that is, the additional 10mm that would come from the sport suspension on the Carrera GTS, which is already 10mm lower than the stock Carrera. The larger sway bars would just be an added bonus...and I'd be OK with the stiffer ride that I presume would also be an outcome of the suspension changes.

And thoughts or feedback on this? My next step would be to bug the dealer but I'm thinking that's just going to be a painful and slow process since I'm guessing it's something they'll have to figure out/research.

Thanks!--SDA

Last edited by sda; 02-04-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Corrected Carrera <10mm lower> vs Carrera S reference
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sda
I've been searching high and low and can't seem to find a definitive answer to this:
Can the P17 Option, Sport Suspension, be retrofitted to a Carrera GTS? I haven't found anyone that's done it tried it in the forums, nor do I know if the parts can be ordered from the dealer. My main objective is to lower the car slightly, that is, the additional 10mm that would come from the sport suspension on the Carrera GTS, which is already 10mm lower than the stock Carrera S. The larger sway bars would just be an added bonus...and I'd be OK with the stiffer ride that I presume would also be an outcome of the suspension changes.
I don't know if SPASM can be retrofitted, but the GTS suspension is NOT 10 mm lower than the stock Carrera S as you stated. The standard GTS suspension is the same as the Carrera S, which is 10 mm lower than a Carerra. The SPASM adds another 10 mm lowering to the regular GTS PASM suspension, which is the same thing it does to a Carrera S.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
sda
Intermediate

My mistake...it was late and I should have said Carrera, not Carrera S. I will correct it. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

This is just a shot in the dark but have you given Sharkwerks a call. I'd guess they might be able to provide some input.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by sda
My mistake...it was late and I should have said Carrera, not Carrera S. I will correct it. Thanks.
In your original post, you mentioned that you assumed the ride would be stiffer with SPASM. Reasonable assumption, and is what I assumed also. But, I have SPASM on my GTS and I can't tell much difference in ride quality between the GTS and my two previous regular PASM 997.1 S cars.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
sda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
In your original post, you mentioned that you assumed the ride would be stiffer with SPASM. Reasonable assumption, and is what I assumed also. But, I have SPASM on my GTS and I can't tell much difference in ride quality between the GTS and my two previous regular PASM 997.1 S cars.
Good to know. Thanks!!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM
sda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
This is just a shot in the dark but have you given Sharkwerks a call. I'd guess they might be able to provide some input.
I've had good conversation (via email) with Alex at Sharkwerks about this. But since I'm in the SF Bay Area I may did deeper the next time I visit their space--which may be as soon as tomorrow.

Originally I was just going to get the TechArt springs, but he mentioned that the springs MAY not be the right option for the GTS given that the TechArt springs were a replacement for non-GTS cars. We concluded that one option might be to just go with the SPASM springs for the GTS...but I don't know if they are the same/different from any other spring options available. It would seem reasonable that I could just get springs & sway bars from Porsche to match the P17 option, but I still have to talk to the dealer to see not only if that's possible but what it might cost. Then I can compare against other (TechArt for example) possibilities and make an informed decision.

This stuff is never as easy as it seems .
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
wishman44
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Please share any more insights that you uncover. I have a non-P17 GTS as well and have been starting to thinking about possible suspension improvements as I will be tracking this car more than I had originally planned.

Have you looked into Bilstein coilovers at all?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Subjectively there may not be a noticeable difference, but for anyone who is interested, here are the differences in the actual spring rates between the base, standard PASM, and Sport PASM chassis for the 997.2:

Front:
Basic Carrera chassis Spring rate: 27 N/mm
Carrera/Carrera S PASM chassis Spring rate: 33 N/mm
Carrera/Carrera S PASM sports chassis Spring rate: 36 N/mm

Rear:
Basic chassis Manual transmission Spring rate: 43 N/mm
PDK transmission Spring rate: 46 N/mm
PASM chassis Spring rate: 56 N/mm
PASM sports chassis Spring rate: prog. 65/95 N/mm
Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 PM
sda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dwishner
Please share any more insights that you uncover. I have a non-P17 GTS as well and have been starting to thinking about possible suspension improvements as I will be tracking this car more than I had originally planned.

Have you looked into Bilstein coilovers at all?
I'm not inclined to go with the coilover solution because I'm not yet ready to give up on PASM...i.e., I don't want to lose the functionality of the PASM button. Since I live in the City the roads go from ok to crappy fairly quickly. Once I'm out of the city limits there are plenty of good roads to punch the button for full effect.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

gts has the best compromose setup i think. porsche gave it the sports classic setup
Old 02-05-2013, 06:40 PM
wishman44
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sda
I'm not inclined to go with the coilover solution because I'm not yet ready to give up on PASM...i.e., I don't want to lose the functionality of the PASM button. Since I live in the City the roads go from ok to crappy fairly quickly. Once I'm out of the city limits there are plenty of good roads to punch the button for full effect.
I believe Bilstein coilovers are compatible with PASM. At least they are with the 997.1.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM
sda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dwishner
Here's the latest info I've been able to collect. I talked to the dealer today and it seems that there are three major components that need to be updated: struts, springs, and a controller. I have the part numbers for each of the replacement pieces along with a few ancillary components that are also needed. The dealer quoted me a price for all the parts at about $3860 (not including tax).

By far the most expensive components are the struts themselves with front and rear pairs costing a total of just over $2600.

I can share the parts detail if someone is interested--no need to type all that stuff unless someone really wants it .

Of course, these prices are just for parts only. The labor cost to install all this stuff will vary I'm sure, but I'm told by the dealer it will take about a day and a half (which includes the time to do a wheel alignment) so count on a hefty chunk to go along with the price of the parts.

Is it worth it? Only your wallet can decide.

Last edited by sda; 02-05-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added labor info
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by sda
Here's the latest info I've been able to collect. I talked to the dealer today and it seems that there are three major components that need to be updated: struts, springs, and a controller. I have the part numbers for each of the replacement pieces along with a few ancillary components that are also needed. The dealer quoted me a price for all the parts at about $3860 (not including tax).

By far the most expensive components are the struts themselves with front and rear pairs costing a total of just over $2600.

I can share the parts detail if someone is interested--no need to type all that stuff unless someone really wants it .

Of course, these prices are just for parts only. The labor cost to install all this stuff will vary I'm sure, but I'm told by the dealer it will take about a day and a half (which includes the time to do a wheel alignment) so count on a hefty chunk to go along with the price of the parts.

Is it worth it? Only your wallet can decide.
Wow, the $970.00 or so I spent on the factory option sure sounds good now. No way I would pay that much to add it now, plus labor charge.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow, the $970.00 or so I spent on the factory option sure sounds good now.
An absolute bargain by Porsche standards, especially when you consider that option included a LSD.

Quick Reply: Carrera GTS P17 retrofit