P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

+1. No kidding!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:55 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our speed limits are too low for some of the greatest open roads we have in the US, however due to the very low skill level of our average drivers it is probably not that far off from the proper limits.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
Our speed limits are too low for some of the greatest open roads we have in the US, however due to the very low skill level of our average drivers it is probably not that far off from the proper limits.
Another annoying thing to me - rather than improve people's skills, let's just lower the bar. We really need to adopt German-style licensing requirements. Of course, then the left will cry that it would be only for the rich, etc. My retort is that it's a privilege, not a right.... With traffic congestion only getting worse, taking crappy drivers off the road sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
This is no loner the case as of last year , 75 mph at night baby!
It has been a while -- sometime early in 2012 -- since I've been out in my Turbo anywhere near/in Texas so that 75mph speed limit at night is news to me.

About time.

To be heading east on I-40 in NM and running 75mph (or 80mph... along with everybody else) and racing the sun only to lose the race and entering the Texas panhandle at night and having to slow to 65mph feels like the car is standing still.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Sure did, that's how got such a "sweetheart deal" of 3 days. Prosecutor wanted me to do at least 25 days in jail.

Most severe county in the nation for traffic violations.
There is one in CA that's pretty bad. I do not remember the county name from the newspaper stories I've read but I do recall that a judge that hears traffic cases loves to take drivers licenses away from speeders. The county has the major north/south freeway (I-5) running through it and he hears lots of traffic cases.

While 3 days in jail is no picnic and the fine is not small change losing your license can be a real pain.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
firedancer414
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Another annoying thing to me - rather than improve people's skills, let's just lower the bar. We really need to adopt German-style licensing requirements. Of course, then the left will cry that it would be only for the rich, etc. My retort is that it's a privilege, not a right.... With traffic congestion only getting worse, taking crappy drivers off the road sounds like a good idea to me.
Remember, it's not the the drivers that need the higher standards, but also the cars and the roads. The number of cars running around with bare tires, toast brakes, on unkempt roads, etc. etc.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
There is one in CA that's pretty bad. I do not remember the county name from the newspaper stories I've read but I do recall that a judge that hears traffic cases loves to take drivers licenses away from speeders. The county has the major north/south freeway (I-5) running through it and he hears lots of traffic cases.

While 3 days in jail is no picnic and the fine is not small change losing your license can be a real pain.
The jail time kept mine down to a 60 day loss of license.

My buddy in the Lambo was smart, he bargained for the 6 month loss of license to avoid any jail time. Judge went for it. After the court proceeding he got the company to send him to work in Afghanistan for 6 months, finished his tour and came back with a trunk full of cash and valid drivers license. So what's he do when he get's back? Sells his Gallardo and buys a Murcielago, drives even faster now lol.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
The jail time kept mine down to a 60 day loss of license.

My buddy in the Lambo was smart, he bargained for the 6 month loss of license to avoid any jail time. Judge went for it. After the court proceeding he got the company to send him to work in Afghanistan for 6 months, finished his tour and came back with a trunk full of cash and valid drivers license. So what's he do when he get's back? Sells his Gallardo and buys a Murcielago, drives even faster now lol.
Nice one your friend did

I think it's Kern county, CHP galore around here on the 5 evrytime I'm driving to SoCal..
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 349 Posts

I am originally from Finland. There the speeding ticket is based on ones income (welcome to social democratic scandinavia). Check these examples out:

(Newser) – If you think that pricey speeding ticket is unfair, just look at Finland, where fines are based on income. Mental Floss takes a look at five doozies:

•In 2002, a Nokia exec on a Harley got hit with a whopping $103,600 fine for cruising at 47mph in a 31mph zone.
•A young dot-com entrepreneur, Jaako Rytsola, had to shell out $71,400 for driving his Beamer 18mph over the limit.
•A newly wealthy man got fined $14,500 for speeding and argued it down to $9,000; but when the judge discovered he'd paid only $750 a pop for previous infractions, he turned punitive and tacked on another $38,000.
•Same Jaako Rytsola, same BMW, same year, and other $44,100 ticket, bringing the year's fines to $115,500.
•A sausage heir going 50 in a 25mph zone holds the record for steepest fine, at $204,000.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:00 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Funny, according to one of the federal agencies, I think the NTSB? less than 1% of traffic fatalities involve excessive speed. Many States, especially those that are in the budgetary red, are far more aggressive in collecting additional taxes in the form of traffic violations. I don't believe that speed is the number one threat to motorists.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Originally Posted by russo
Funny, according to one of the federal agencies, I think the NTSB? less than 1% of traffic fatalities involve excessive speed. Many States, especially those that are in the budgetary red, are far more aggressive in collecting additional taxes in the form of traffic violations. I don't believe that speed is the number one threat to motorists.
It's more about revenue than safety. When some States have wanted to raise the maximum speed on their interstate highways, the fed has threatened to pull their funding, forcing compliance.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Name:  CyCFU9c.gif
Views: 10
Size:  5.8 KB

On a typical 65mph interstate with traffic flowing 80mph, you're statistically 2x safer driving 90mph than you are doing the speed limit, and just as safe driving 105. Shame the laws and fine schedules don't reflect this.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Legal doctrine would not support that, as it would allow for the population to set the speed limt in an ad-hoc sort of fashion on any day and place. That said, fines should be more based on endangering than purely numerical values, so driving 40 in a 30mph limited neighborhood should be a serious fine due to the blind turns, driveways, pedestrians, etc. While doing 90 in a 70 dual-carriage way controlled highway with very light traffic should get no fine or just a small fine or warning.

But logic doesn't always work.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Sgt Angus
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Third week home with the P-car. Sunday morning out with a friend w/no traffic, roosting around an onramp that leads into a gentle downhill. Stopped doing 150 in an 80km/hr zone.
Officer says 'looked like you were having fun'. I reply "the best time of my life- I finally got a Porsche!"

She takes my paperwork back to the cruiser, a few minutes later she and her partner walk back, note my Veteran licence plate and say 'Take it easy, and have a nice day'. My buddy was speechless, but I wasn't. "YES!!"
The cops laughed.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Originally Posted by Sgt Angus
Third week home with the P-car. Sunday morning out with a friend w/no traffic, roosting around an onramp that leads into a gentle downhill. Stopped doing 150 in an 80km/hr zone.
Officer says 'looked like you were having fun'. I reply "the best time of my life- I finally got a Porsche!"

She takes my paperwork back to the cruiser, a few minutes later she and her partner walk back, note my Veteran licence plate and say 'Take it easy, and have a nice day'. My buddy was speechless, but I wasn't. "YES!!"
The cops laughed.
You are one lucky driver. I have never been able to talk myself out of ticket nor been let go. Good for you.

Quick Reply: California Excessive Speed