Sponsored by:

California Excessive Speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
I find it interesting that you take no responsibility for the fact that you actually could have killed the officer, your wife AND yourself... No ownership of having broken the law and put people in danger, but even better, accused the officer for speeding up to try to kill you! I think your court experience was karma.

I'll give you this... You've got big brass ones.
Yes well you weren't there were you? I know what I saw and what I experienced. Once I pulled out (legally) to pass the line of cars leaving Palm Desert closed the gap and circumstances combined to the extent I did the only thing I could at that short moment. That's a big difference than driving dangerously above 100MPH sustained on a narrow road. There were two cars behind me also and I wouldn't make the statement the only and safest option was to speed up and pull in to the next closest gap which was still behind the lead car. I could not believe how fast that patrol car was coming and there is literally zero doubt he was doing at least 100 by the time he flew past.

I touched 101 for not even a second and have the court transcripts to prove the office even testified (more like conceded) I 1st appeared on radar (in plain view) at 75 in a passing lane. Either I'm an idiot for speeding up when I knew 100% I was already on radar or that was the only option not to get rear ended by one or more cars behind me. There was simply no where to go and he knew it.

The problem in CA is that the state is broke. If you think for one minute the police and state patrols aren't doing things to issue more tickets and get as much money from the average motorist they can then you're not seeing clearly.

And whatever your opinion is of what happened here there can be no justification of a $10,000 penalty. That's insane. Had I just been some ******* speeding like a moron I wouldn't have hired a lawyer. Not everything is that cut and dry pal sorry.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
Yes well you weren't there were you? I know what I saw and what I experienced. Once I pulled out (legally) to pass the line of cars leaving Palm Desert closed the gap and circumstances combined to the extent I did the only thing I could at that short moment. That's a big difference than driving dangerously above 100MPH sustained on a narrow road. There were two cars behind me also and I wouldn't make the statement the only and safest option was to speed up and pull in to the next closest gap which was still behind the lead car. I could not believe how fast that patrol car was coming and there is literally zero doubt he was doing at least 100 by the time he flew past.

I touched 101 for not even a second and have the court transcripts to prove the office even testified (more like conceded) I 1st appeared on radar (in plain view) at 75 in a passing lane. Either I'm an idiot for speeding up when I knew 100% I was already on radar or that was the only option not to get rear ended by one or more cars behind me. There was simply no where to go and he knew it.

The problem in CA is that the state is broke. If you think for one minute the police and state patrols aren't doing things to issue more tickets and get as much money from the average motorist they can then you're not seeing clearly.

And whatever your opinion is of what happened here there can be no justification of a $10,000 penalty. That's insane. Had I just been some ******* speeding like a moron I wouldn't have hired a lawyer. Not everything is that cut and dry pal sorry.
A video could be worth $10K in this case or at least a reduced fine. Last year I was almost run off by another driver who moved into my lane for no reason. I ended up half way into the shoulder at the last moment. The vehicle blackbox installed in my car captured it all. In fact, I just purchased an upgraded unit that will record while my car is parked as well. Ironically I installed the blackbox 2 yrs ago in anticipation of LEO coming after me b/c of my Guards "Arrest Me" Red 997. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-at-70mph.html
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
A video could be worth $10K in this case or at least a reduced fine. Last year I was almost run off by another driver who moved into my lane for no reason. I ended up half way into the shoulder at the last moment. The vehicle blackbox installed in my car captured it all. In fact, I just purchased an upgraded unit that will record while my car is parked as well. Ironically I installed the blackbox 2 yrs ago in anticipation of LEO coming after me b/c of my Guards "Arrest Me" Red 997. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-at-70mph.html
I watched a piece on NBC Nightly News earlier this week that in Russia most cars have on-board video for cases like this, which explains the plethora of available videos of strange driving events on YouTube.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Very prevalent in S. Korea as well... that's where many of these devices are coming from there. Some of them even go so far as to provide a detailed 360 view with cameras at 4 corners but you have to route cabling on the headliner to do so...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you tell us which unit you have USMC_DS1 and how it is working for you please?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
Can you tell us which unit you have USMC_DS1 and how it is working for you please?
I have the Smarty BX1500 which was decent enough but after my near collision last year I started looking for something with better resolution. I'd like to pick out the offending driver's license plate number at speed... plus I was looking for a unit that would record while the car is parked. We're getting a bit off topic so I'll post more on the new blackbox via a separate thread once I get it installed this weekend.

Old blackbox
Smarty BX1500: https://rennlist.com/forums/9830859-post22.html

New blackbox
Bulls - i ETK-B200: http://www.vehicledriverecorders.com...etk-b2000.aspx

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 02-22-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

The only justification is that they need the money and based on the car you were driving, they figure you have it.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1

The only justification is that they need the money and based on the car you were driving, they figure you have it.
Exactly
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Another annoying thing to me - rather than improve people's skills, let's just lower the bar. We really need to adopt German-style licensing requirements. Of course, then the left will cry that it would be only for the rich, etc. My retort is that it's a privilege, not a right.... With traffic congestion only getting worse, taking crappy drivers off the road sounds like a good idea to me.
Yes or allow toll roads to have higher speed limits or just turn car pool lanes into higher speed lanes with a double yellow separating them like they do for car pool lanes in Southern California.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
Yes or allow toll roads to have higher speed limits or just turn car pool lanes into higher speed lanes with a double yellow separating them like they do for car pool lanes in Southern California.
The HOV lanes on parts of I64 in VA are like that; 55mph on the travel lanes but 65mph speed limit on the HOV. Not just double yellow, but reversible and physically separated by k-rails. Unfortunately, because there are only two HOV lanes, it seems to always congest and move SLOWER than the 55mph travel lanes, which is frustrating.

I'd love to see it converted from HOV to a high-speed express lane with a minimum speed of 100mph and rigidly enforced lane discipline, but, alas, that will never happen.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
Our toll roads are 85 MPH right outside of Austin. A nice touch as it is next to COTA. Going to my 1st GrandAm races there this weekend.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

So it's been over a month now and no ticket and fine has come in the mail yet. So what should I do? I don't want to be naive and surrender myself to wishful thinking in that they "lost or forgot" it, although that would be awesome! :P
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 PM
DallasDave
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
Wow! and I thought State of Ohio was the worst with speeding violations.
A little off topic, but couldn't resist...

I was running a buddy who was driving my heavily modified M3 after picking up my Murci from Lamborghini Ohio - when traffic wasn't around we were hitting up to 140+ to see how badly the Murci would "eat" my M3. The officer even let me take a photo with him after talking to us. Very cool guy actually.

Last edited by DallasDave; 03-05-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Inserted photo
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Welcome to California.....

The nanny State....and from what I've read, 2nd to the Nanny Country of Canada.

Originally Posted by fast1

Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Just an update if anyone is interested in the dollar amount of an excessive speeding ticket(26 mph over posted) it is a total of $475 with processing fees and ect. Not bad considering the fact that I was facing at least $600. However, no option for traffic school, I'm going to court to see if I can get the judge to allow me that.

Quick Reply: California Excessive Speed