Sponsored by:

997.2 Spark Plug DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:30 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I just did the plugs and coils this past weekend. Ended up wasting money since both were in absolutely terrific shape but oh well. I did not remove the bumper, the wheels or the mufflers. I only removed the 2 heat shields and slid them out of the way. It was tight but it worked fine.
Mike
Wow, your the man, you must have did it all from below.....
Old 01-17-2018, 01:46 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs

Wow, your the man, you must have did it all from below.....

Hahaha, i appreciate that but not at all. I'm pretty lazy so... there ya have it. When I saw this guy did it and I got under there and looked I knew it was doable. Granted he has a bit more room bc of his exhaust setup but you can get them out if you use the right length socket and attachment. I also used a nice cushy yoga like mat and it was no problem.

Mike
Old 01-17-2018, 03:46 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

I just did the plugs and coils this past weekend. Ended up wasting money since both were in absolutely terrific shape but oh well. I did not remove the bumper, the wheels or the mufflers. I only removed the 2 heat shields and slid them out of the way. It was tight but it worked fine.

I used this for many of them...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014ZVSVK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mike
You da man. There is not enough Ibuprofen in the world to get me to lay under that car and contort. I don;t like laying under a car like that, working upside down, or spewing the required cuss words for that long duration. I would not even attempt this. Besides, I can;t drink beer on my back.

Cool tool.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-18-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:58 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Seems like my 997.2 has a lot less space between the mufflers and the heat shields.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:54 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Seems like my 997.2 has a lot less space between the mufflers and the heat shields.
You are correct! It still might be doable with the wheels on, but I pull mine.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:10 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are definitely much more experienced in DIY than me. As I noted a few weeks ago, I threw in the towel and out everything back together after I felt how snug the plugs were. I was just too fearful of snapping one.

I did want to give a one week report on the new coils. I drive a ton of highway and have been averaging 25 mpg for a long time. On my last tank I was able to get 28 mpg and I was not being light footed. If this persists, I will absolutely attrivuat it to plugs and coils.

I will also say that the car seems to idle smoother, not that it was rough before.

Thank you all again for all of your help.

Cheers.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:34 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Here's my old versus new. Unfortunately for me it didn't make any difference at all going from the old to the new. Next time I won't replace the coils and I'll probably go a little longer on the plugs. When I saw how good the outside of the coils looked I probably shouldn't have bothered but oh well I already bought them. I'm sure some folks who take their car out in bad weather might benefit more.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:24 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Here's my old versus new. Unfortunately for me it didn't make any difference at all going from the old to the new. Next time I won't replace the coils and I'll probably go a little longer on the plugs. When I saw how good the outside of the coils looked I probably shouldn't have bothered but oh well I already bought them. I'm sure some folks who take their car out in bad weather might benefit more.

How many miles on those plugs? How tight in the engine block were they?

Mine seem less work than those over 3 years and 40k miles.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:41 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by rjshar
How many miles on those plugs? How tight in the engine block were they?

Mine seem less work than those over 3 years and 40k miles.
Right around 40k on them. They were no trouble getting out.

mike
Old 04-20-2018, 07:57 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks to DGrayling for starting this thread, plus all the replies. I'm at 37k miles on my '09 C2, and just popped for the Fister mufflers. Decided to do plugs now before putting the new mufflers in. I'm going with Denso 5345 Iridiums ($41 from RockAuto). Will report if I notice any difference on road.
Update: I had trouble getting the driver side coil cover out so punted on the spark plug change. I went ahead with muffler reinstall, which went pretty smooth. Now that it's relatively easy to get the mufflers out I'll do the spark plugs another day.

Last edited by swingwing; 04-21-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:01 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swingwing
Thanks to DGrayling for starting this thread, plus all the replies. I'm at 37k miles on my '09 C2, and just popped for the Fister mufflers. Decided to do plugs now before putting the new mufflers in. I'm going with Denso 5345 Iridiums ($41 from RockAuto). Will report if I notice any difference on road.
I paid $89 for 6 Porsche branded plugs. I know, probably not any different, but the cost difference wasn't too terrible for me and I had to order other parts. I also picked up 6 Porsche branded ignition coils for $275. All parts were ordered from Sonnen.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:18 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

any reason not to use the factory quad eletrode plugs

mike
Old 04-20-2018, 10:27 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

any reason not to use the factory quad eletrode plugs

mike
No specific reason. I’ve used Denso plugs in other cars and have found them to be excellent quality and performance.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:41 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

No specific reason. I’ve used Denso plugs in other cars and have found them to be excellent quality and performance.
All hear say, but I have heard of people having issues (misfire, rough idle, etc) deviating from Bosch or Porsche plugs. Report back and let us know! We can always use more data points.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:21 PM
strickrn
Intermediate

Hi there, Thanks for posting your plug replacement on your 997.2. Would you happen to know the torque spec for the plugs? Best, Nick

Quick Reply: 997.2 Spark Plug DIY