strickrn
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!
Old 11-24-2018, 12:49 PM
Roger997.2
User

What is the purpose of removing the nuts connecting the catalytic converter to the center muffler? Does it enable movement of the hangar later? The first bolt I tried (bottom one of the 3) already snapped off, even after several soakings with penetrant, and now I can't even hammer out the broken - off stud. This is already a complete PITA, and I know my way around most DIY jobs. I think I'm done and taking it to indy.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:01 PM
swingwing
Addict
Rennlist Member

That broken stud should come out with a punch and hammer. I replaced the one I broke with a bolt and copper nut from my spares. Thread size is M8 x 1.25.

L side cat top nut.

Ratcheting S wrench (13mm) and old/new fasteners.

Last edited by swingwing; 11-24-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added pictures.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:21 PM
Bruce In Philly
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a cool wrench!!!! Crap.... more to buy.....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-24-2018, 04:06 PM
swingwing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know...it's horrible every time I see something I "gotta have." This is a nice set though, and made short work of those pesky cat nuts (esp top one) when I was doing the Fister install.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBDX9W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBDX9W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by swingwing; 11-24-2018 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:13 PM
docdrs
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roger997.2 View Post
What is the purpose of removing the nuts connecting the catalytic converter to the center muffler? Does it enable movement of the hangar later? The first bolt I tried (bottom one of the 3) already snapped off, even after several soakings with penetrant, and now I can't even hammer out the broken - off stud. This is already a complete PITA, and I know my way around most DIY jobs. I think I'm done and taking it to indy.

Heat the flange where the stud is and give it a hammer
Old 05-27-2019, 06:43 PM
vexed
User

I replaced my spark plugs and coils this weekend. More because of time (10 years) than mileage -less than 19K. I decided to remove the bumper, once it's off and the side panels removed the mufflers are easy to remove since all you need to do is loosen the sleeve and remove the 4 easy to access bolts. I found the screws for the coils were in tight, I had a torx socket, I could not do it with just a torx screwdriver. Otherwise, thanks to everyone who contributed. I did learn the hard way that because of that one screw at the edge of the bumper to the rear panel it's easier if the wheels are off but it can be done on the ground.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:07 PM
Westside997
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for removing bumper, I watched few youtube videos beforehand and it got me close enough to figure it out. It's really easy to do. It also gives you a chance to clean out all the voids that collect dirt and dust, if that keeps you up at night.

Pro tip: Depending on the brand/ age of tools you use, the rubber insert inside the spark plug socket may grip the spark plug with more force than that of the ball-detent on the end of the extension. So, when you try to pull the socket out after torquing in the new plug, the extension comes off and the socket stays stuck on the spark plug. Taping the spark plug socket to the extension avoids such things.

Luckily I didn't have any flare nut issues and I reused the old coils (no issues with them as of yet). Unluckily, I forgot to order new flange gaskets in advance, so I'm on jack stands until those come in.

I'm running non-Porsche branded Bosch plugs as replacements.

The factory plugs I pulled all looked good (2009 C2 w 57k miles). The ceramic was uniformly tanned all the way around, and the plug bottoms (where the 4 electrodes attach) had a "tanned side" and a slightly "carbonized side". I'm guessing this is due to the DFI "washing" one side of the plug, or perhaps indicative of how the flame front propagates?

Old 05-28-2019, 10:50 PM
swingwing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rjshar View Post
All hear say, but I have heard of people having issues (misfire, rough idle, etc) deviating from Bosch or Porsche plugs. Report back and let us know! We can always use more data points.
I have 1000 miles on the Denso plugs and the carís running great. No issues at all.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:53 PM
swingwing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rjshar View Post
All hear say, but I have heard of people having issues (misfire, rough idle, etc) deviating from Bosch or Porsche plugs. Report back and let us know! We can always use more data points.
Iíve got a 1000 miles on the Denso plugs and car runs great. No issues at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 Spark Plug DIY

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: