Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously looking at purchase of 997, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM
DoubleA
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the insight. Carbon build-up issue aside, I will continue to look at the .2's...
Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM
DoubleA
Track Day

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I had an '09 C4S, but PDK put me off. Now I'm back to a 997.1 with manual. I'm very happy with my decision. The biggest advantage for me with the 997.2 was the improved interior (switches, PCM, etc.).
Interesting because I was convinced by a dealer to go in and try the PDK. I am a manual guy but having said that, I have never driven the pdk (which was the dealers point). So, I was going to go give it a spin. I also read that the next GT3 will be pdk ONLY! Suppose if I am on the track and looking to drop a half-second on my lap times, sure but I think I enjoy pulling off a perfect heel-toe down-shift manually even if its once every 100 tries.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleA
Thanks for all the insight. Carbon build-up issue aside, I will continue to look at the .2's...
There has been no issues on this front. I'd much rather take my chances with this (and the DFI engine that is Porsche's 911 future since 2009) than RMS/IMS which is a factual (albeit) minor concern.

I'm damn impressed with my 997.2 PDK. My fourth 911 - first PDK and first DFI. Best one to date.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not to beat the horse to death, I never said 997.2 was a bad choice. Quite the opposite. When I picked up my latest 997, I was most interested in the specific color, manual trans, and manual sports seats. This car popped up (CPO), so I moved on it. If the identical car (esp. with sport buckets!) had popped up in 997.2 guise, I would have bought it. As for my faith in Porsche's engineering, I wouldn't be on my 4th Porsche in 7 years if I didn't trust them. I was merely trying to point out one of the few downsides of DFI...
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by sqweak
Why would you tell someone to avoid an engine with improved economy, higher power, and eliminated IMS/RMS issues?
1st - most don't drive a P-car for its "economy" - so that's BS on your part
2nd - the IMS/RMS issues are totally overblown. totally
3rd - the "so called power" is negligible
4 - the same reason I like a 6sp manual tranny, I just don't care for direct fuel injection
5 - i think its funny as hell to watch guys like you get all wound up

now, if you're taking a position from a better motor stand point, then lets be honest and tell him to get a GT3 with the mezger engine

there, that's why
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CAVU
With an open mind I ask, why would the DFI engine incure anymore carbon build up than and manifold injection?
Not exactly on point, but a good point anyway.

SFI engines are subject to carbon buildup, LOTS of it, due to EGR, exhaust gas residue being recirculated into the intake manifold. I should take pictures of the inside of my 1995 LS400 intake manifold w/260,000 miles. The only thing new with DFI is that the EGR residue now also cakes on the intake side of the intake valves.

A throttle body injector, or 2, just downstream of the MAF/IAT, and used only during engine idle, would solve both problems
Old 01-17-2013, 08:58 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
It has been a big problem in DFI RS4s and BMWs (cars from 2007 or so). Unless Porsche has a magic trick, it'll get the same issue. Here's some scoop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCUpSyuUPqY
More SNAKE OIL.

Real problem, poor solution.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I guess you didn't bother reading the rest of the explanation below that post before firing from the hip....
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 AM
trcox57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the PPI(well worth the piece of mind) and according to other threads and a guy I know in the business, CARFAX isn't a guarantee of anything. I saw in another thread that a car with clean report had new paint all over it. The comment was high end shops can't be bothered with Carfax reporting.
Good luck with the purchase..you are gonna love it!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

+1

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
4 - the same reason I like a 6sp manual tranny, I just don't care for direct fuel injection

now, if you're taking a position from a better motor stand point, then lets be honest and tell him to get a GT3 with the mezger engine

there, that's why
Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 AM
nylezengch98
6th Gear

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:44 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Originally Posted by sqweak
Why would you tell someone to avoid an engine with improved economy, higher power, and eliminated IMS/RMS issues?

there, that's why
Pot meet kettle.

Power difference was not negligible to me. That's why i didn't "upgrade" my 40th to a .1S. There wasn't a discernible performance difference between them. There was a noticeable difference that you could feel going to the .2S.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Pot meet kettle.

Power difference was not negligible to me. That's why i didn't "upgrade" my 40th to a .1S. There wasn't a discernible performance difference between them. There was a noticeable difference that you could feel going to the .2S.
Hmmm, my 996 to 997 was noticeably different, both S's, but not a 40th
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Jasper1
Advanced

My 2 cents. They are all great cars and will bring the same smiles to your face. If you can afford the newest and more powerful, then fantastic. If your budget takes you to a .1, it is just as wonderful a car as a .2 or a 991, the basic formula is still magical. Everyone should just relax
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasper1
My 2 cents. They are all great cars and will bring the same smiles to your face. If you can afford the newest and more powerful, then fantastic. If your budget takes you to a .1, it is just as wonderful a car as a .2 or a 991, the basic formula is still magical. Everyone should just relax
+1

Quick Reply: Seriously looking at purchase of 997, need advice