Sponsored by:

Thanks Sandwedge - new shift knob is in

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Thanks Sandwedge - new shift **** is in

Installed a new shift **** to replace a broken **** I butchered when removing. Sandwedge sent me his old unit free of charge.

THANK YOU!!! This forum has some great members.

I also made adjustments to my B&M shifter to make it smoother and solve a very notchy first gear. After tweaking for hour (driving around for an hour without the center console) it's much better. It was surprising how little the feel changes by moving it up and down the threads on the fittings.

Have one tip for the b&m. The left side fitting (this sets the side tilt of the shifter) needs to be adjusted from the original position. Using the original marker location, you move the end 3 to 4 threads further into hole. (You can see the original marker line inside the fitting in the pic below) As a reference point, you can see the tilt of the shifter matching the black tab end of the shifter box. This black tab has a slight tilt and you can verify by placing a pencil or something flat on top of it. Have the shifter and tab parallel or tilting by equal degrees.

Shifting now is much better, although first isn't great when your not at a stop. I think this is because the b&m uses a pivot ball whereas the stock unit uses a smaller pivot ball fitted into a square fitting that slides thru lever mechanism. The stock unit IMHO is more precise moving to the left and hitting the position for 1st.

Overall, I'm pleased with the b&m and can live with a little stickiness in 1st. A short shifter is a must!!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Here is the shifter courtesy of sandwedge.

Thanks!!!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Here is the shifter courtesy of Sandwedge.

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Installed a new shift **** to replace a broken **** I butchered when removing. Sandwedge sent me his old unit free of charge.

THANK YOU!!! This forum has some great members.

I also made adjustments to my B&M shifter to make it smoother and solve a very notchy first gear. After tweaking for hour (driving around for an hour without the center console) it's much better. It was surprising how little the feel changes by moving it up and down the threads on the fittings.

Have one tip for the b&m. The left side fitting (this sets the side tilt of the shifter) needs to be adjusted from the original position. Using the original marker location, you move the end 3 to 4 threads further into hole. (You can see the original marker line inside the fitting in the pic below) As a reference point, you can see the tilt of the shifter matching the black tab end of the shifter box. This black tab has a slight tilt and you can verify by placing a pencil or something flat on top of it. Have the shifter and tab parallel or tilting by equal degrees.

Shifting now is much better, although first isn't great when your not at a stop. I think this is because the b&m uses a pivot ball whereas the stock unit uses a smaller pivot ball fitted into a square fitting that slides thru lever mechanism. The stock unit IMHO is more precise moving to the left and hitting the position for 1st.

Overall, I'm pleased with the b&m and can live with a little stickiness in 1st. A short shifter is a must!!!!!
Great. Very happy it worked out for you. Would you believe I drove almost 40,000 miles in my -06 C4S with a B&M SSK and never knew it was adjustable? Guess I didn't care since it was perfect. Didn't even have any issues with 1st so maybe yours can be tweaked further. Btw....Suncoast in Sarasota installed mine. I'm sure they've done thousands and know what works and what doesn't.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow man....that's great. Glad you like the B&M.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Great. Very happy it worked out for you. Would you believe I drove almost 40,000 miles in my -06 C4S with a B&M SSK and never knew it was adjustable? Guess I didn't care since it was perfect. Didn't even have any issues with 1st so maybe yours can be tweaked further. Btw....Suncoast in Sarasota installed mine. I'm sure they've done thousands and know what works and what doesn't.
Unlike me, Suncoast knew what they were doing.

The adjustment I was referring to is where the cable ends are positioned in the threaded couplings. The left coupling can be used to adj side position of the shifter (I call it tilt) and right coupling moving the shifter up or down (towards the dash or rear). You can do this with any shifter, ssk or b&m. The b&m had an end play adj, I made this tight but smooth per instructions.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had installed my own B&M as well, and first gear was a slight issue for me as well. Not being sticky, but the lever seemed to stop prematurely... which was solved when my shift cable retainer clip broke, and I had to have the cables replaced by the dealer, who upon reinstallation, corrected the problem. It shifts so slick now!!

This also tells me that I did not tinker with the adjustments enough after the original installation.

Quick Reply: Thanks Sandwedge - new shift knob is in