Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dr. Colorchip FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

I have had the kit for "our" Guards Red Cabrio, for about 8 months still kinda' anxious about "doing it" but I'm now encouraged.....maybe
Old 01-27-2013, 02:32 AM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another testiment

My '09 997 is fortunate to have very few stone chips and the two or three that were visible were easily touched up with the factory touch up paint. It does however have a lot of sandblasting around the rear inner wheel arches. You don't normally notice this, but it bothered me enough every time I detailed my car to do something about it. I figured it might be worth experimenting with Dr. Colorchip, so I gave it a try today. I thought the results were worth sharing. Here are the before and after pictures.

While you can still see some imperfections in the finished result, it's a vast improvement over the original.

As to the process, I found that smearing a single drop wasn't very effective for such a large area. Instead I brushed over a half inch square at a time and then smeared. To be honest, the interim state looked awful and I was skeptical that the process was going to work. I found that removing the excess paint took a fair amount of rubbing with the second stage solution, and was worried that the rubbing would remove all of the paint I'd just added. Surprisingly, these little chips remained filled. I used 3 coats to get all of the little chips filled. I suspect that larger chips would take more effort and a more finessed technique.

I'm very pleased with the result. It doesn't look like it's been repainted and the finish is surprisingly good: shiny and a perfect color match. I'm glad it a try.
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by n1gels
My '09 997 is fortunate to have very few stone chips and the two or three that were visible were easily touched up with the factory touch up paint. It does however have a lot of sandblasting around the rear inner wheel arches. You don't normally notice this, but it bothered me enough every time I detailed my car to do something about it. I figured it might be worth experimenting with Dr. Colorchip, so I gave it a try today. I thought the results were worth sharing. Here are the before and after pictures.

While you can still see some imperfections in the finished result, it's a vast improvement over the original.

As to the process, I found that smearing a single drop wasn't very effective for such a large area. Instead I brushed over a half inch square at a time and then smeared. To be honest, the interim state looked awful and I was skeptical that the process was going to work. I found that removing the excess paint took a fair amount of rubbing with the second stage solution, and was worried that the rubbing would remove all of the paint I'd just added. Surprisingly, these little chips remained filled. I used 3 coats to get all of the little chips filled. I suspect that larger chips would take more effort and a more finessed technique.

I'm very pleased with the result. It doesn't look like it's been repainted and the finish is surprisingly good: shiny and a perfect color match. I'm glad it a try.
Big difference in the before and after pics. Nice job and thank for sharing!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
OK. Here are some photos. Let me just say that, in direct sunlight, the chips are still definitely seeable up close. Dr. CC in no way "fills up" the chip to make it smooth and level with the rest of the paint job. It only makes the chip less noticeable. But it does a good job of it. The chips are most noticeable when a light is shone on them from the side, because the minute shadows coming off the depth of the chips shows them off. From any sort of distance, though, the car looks much better.

Here's a before pic of a few chips on my mirror housing. Note the main chip in the middle of the pic (near my thumb to show scale), but also check out the smaller chip on the right side - I circled it.

Here's a pic from after the Dr. CC paint is applied and smeared across the surface. This is what you let dry for 5 min up to an hour.

After rubbing in the solvent, the extra paint is gone, leaving the now-colored-in chip. Rubbing in the solvent does pull some of the paint out of the chip proper, which is why you usually need to do more than one coat. See below.

You can still see the center chip, but check out the OTHER, smaller, chip on the right. It's pretty much gone!

Granted, Dr. CC is not the be-all end-all solution, but it's definitely a solid stopgap.
Looks good. Could you apply another coat to the center chip?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
I've used it on my yellow 996....it was OK but I didn't do two coats....will need to try. THe other thing is if you use a power polisher, it seems to take the paint out of the bigger chips....so it seems like it is not a very hard paint. But overall I am satisfied. Great color match
Good point, the main thing with DrCC is to take the time and do multiple coats, I did my car and the best results came from using 4-6-8 coats depending on the chip itself... Before and after results are usually fantastic!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:50 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have many chips from the track, too much following not enough leading, on my black 09 Carrera S. Met Dr Colorchip at Escape and watched his live demonstration. I have had excellent results but the process is very time consuming and a little tedious. Dedicate a morning or afternoon if you have the #s of chips I had.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 AM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about you fellas, but I find the Dr Colorchip girl very appealing.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Looks good. Could you apply another coat to the center chip?
I probably should, but in real life it's not even as noticeable a in the pic. There are a handful of places that could use another coat, so when I find the time I'll do them all at once.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I got to meet and see Dr. Colorchip at the PCA Escape in Eureka springs. For dark color cars it worked really well. A red car looked very good too. You will still have paint voids but the white area around the chip is hidden. I asked him about my GT Silver car and he said the results can very greatly. So, I did not try it.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my Dr. Color Chip a few months, but just finally had the time to use it properly yesterday. It works great... just like everyone else says. I watched the video tutorial on their website and did the same thing. I have Atlas Grey Metallic and some significant chips have basically disappeared. I'll be ordering more solution to continue to other panels.

I was nervous to get started, but just like everyone else says, it works as they say it does.

I took before and after pics, but it's impossible to see anything significant.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 271 Posts

It seems like everybody that used this product is satisfied with it. What size kit do you recommend? What is the shelf life of this product once is opened? Thanks!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhody
I bought my Dr. Color Chip a few months, but just finally had the time to use it properly yesterday. It works great... just like everyone else says. I watched the video tutorial on their website and did the same thing. I have Atlas Grey Metallic and some significant chips have basically disappeared. I'll be ordering more solution to continue to other panels.

I was nervous to get started, but just like everyone else says, it works as they say it does.

I took before and after pics, but it's impossible to see anything significant.
Good to hear. My kit came in yesterday, so I'll tackle it on the weekend.

Quick Reply: Dr. Colorchip FTW!