Sponsored by:

Dr. Colorchip FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:09 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Dr. Colorchip FTW!

I got my Dr. Colorchip package in the mail earlier this week and finally worked up the guts to try it out on Wednesday.

I have a lot of small-to-tiny chips on my hood and I must say the process is working surprisingly well! The first application basically took the "white" out of the chips, replacing it with a darker Atlas gray color, but still noticeable. The 2nd application (the next day) made the chips truly barely noticeable. My car went from a 5-foot car to a 5-inch car. You can still see some of the larger chips, but they're definitely much better. The smaller chips are basically GONE. There was one decent sized chip on the bumper that I literally can't find anymore. I might do a third coat sometime this weekend to see if the larger chips can get even better.

Oh, and the color match is excellent.

So +1 for the Doctor!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:26 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd say come over and do my car, but scheiße that's a long drive! I guess I'll have to order my own... some day.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice testimonial. This is on my to-do list this Spring. I've been trying to decide whether I go the Dr.CC or Langka route. Anyone else have "real" exposure to the pros/cons of either?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 AM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

I used the guy who does the chip repairs for the dealership (Chip Medic) do it on the side for $90. It took him about 4 hours but it came out great.

Last edited by D1coach; 01-12-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

mgordon18, did you take any before and after photos?... it's usually difficult to see that amount of detail in photos, but thought i'd ask. I have Atlas Gray too, as a daily driver, so i have my share of chips. Was the application of this really as easy in the videos on the Dr. Colorchip website? How big of an area did you do?

Thanks for the help, i'm considering this as well, but a bit skeptical as you can tell from my questions.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I've used it on my yellow 996....it was OK but I didn't do two coats....will need to try. THe other thing is if you use a power polisher, it seems to take the paint out of the bigger chips....so it seems like it is not a very hard paint. But overall I am satisfied. Great color match
Old 01-12-2013, 12:44 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

i have read that this is one of the products that actually work.

do you have any photos before and after?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:25 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used it on very small chips/scratches and it works well. Just make sure you remember everwhere where you put it because if it dries without being wiped it's a pain to flatten.

John
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rhody
mgordon18, did you take any before and after photos?... it's usually difficult to see that amount of detail in photos, but thought i'd ask. I have Atlas Gray too, as a daily driver, so i have my share of chips. Was the application of this really as easy in the videos on the Dr. Colorchip website? How big of an area did you do?

Thanks for the help, i'm considering this as well, but a bit skeptical as you can tell from my questions.
I didn't take any before/after photos, unfortunately. I've been doing it in my garage after the wife and kids go to sleep. The lighting is pretty bad for photos - just the garage door motor lights and an LED headlamp strapped to my head.

I've got a few more spots I found on the passenger side mirror, so I'll try to get some shots today before sunset.

The application is similar to what's in the demo video, but a lot slower. To do it right, the instructions say to leave the smudged paint on the car anywhere from 5 minutes up to an hour. I've been going about 15 minutes. They also recommend you remove any wax from the area with rubbing alcohol.

If you're only doing a couple spots, the whole process might not take more than 20 minutes or so, from prep to shine. But I was doing over a dozen, so it took me more like an hour each night. I only went after the larger, more noticeable chips across the whole of the hood. I also have a bunch of road rash pits along the front edge of the hood. I'm saving those for another time, or just leaving them as is.

Before/after pics coming tomorrow from the mirror housing...
Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Mike. I thought i was one of the only guys in the garage with a headlamp on after the rest of the family is asleep.

Good note about removing the wax. Maybe i'll wait until the spring before my first wax of the year. The front 1/3 of hood could use some work, but i'm nervous since it's a high visibility area. A few areas on the bumpers too. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:33 PM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I had great results using Dr CC on a scratch. I did 3 coats and cannot find it anymore. Color match was spot on.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:04 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very happy to read this. I just got my kit and am looking forward to eliminating these annoying chips... at least until I can get the front resprayed, and get film installed.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

OK. Here are some photos. Let me just say that, in direct sunlight, the chips are still definitely seeable up close. Dr. CC in no way "fills up" the chip to make it smooth and level with the rest of the paint job. It only makes the chip less noticeable. But it does a good job of it. The chips are most noticeable when a light is shone on them from the side, because the minute shadows coming off the depth of the chips shows them off. From any sort of distance, though, the car looks much better.

Here's a before pic of a few chips on my mirror housing. Note the main chip in the middle of the pic (near my thumb to show scale), but also check out the smaller chip on the right side - I circled it.

Here's a pic from after the Dr. CC paint is applied and smeared across the surface. This is what you let dry for 5 min up to an hour.

After rubbing in the solvent, the extra paint is gone, leaving the now-colored-in chip. Rubbing in the solvent does pull some of the paint out of the chip proper, which is why you usually need to do more than one coat. See below.

You can still see the center chip, but check out the OTHER, smaller, chip on the right. It's pretty much gone!

Granted, Dr. CC is not the be-all end-all solution, but it's definitely a solid stopgap.

Last edited by mgordon18; 01-13-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for the detaild info and the good pics. I have a few small stone chips on my Meteor Gray '10 C2S that I want to fix.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Very helpful. Thanks for the excellent write up.

Does anyone know what process is used by the mobile chip repair services that many dealerships use to repair new and preowned cars.

I suspect that you will need to be careful to remove all residual wax from the repaired chips since the depth of the chip will attract wax.

Quick Reply: Dr. Colorchip FTW!