Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not sure what saved my ass "literally", but....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=sjfehr;10127678]Honestly, speed has nothing to do with it- especially not on the highway where you might just as well be driving an F-350 as a 911 if all you're doing is holding 80-100. If PSM is engaging on the highway, you're doing something HORRIBLY wrong! [QUOTE]

As I previously stated "I understand your position (especially as it relates to PSM being activated on public roads." .

What I don't like is when people express "elitist" views with respect to people's driving habits. I drive fast when conditions allow but respect the safety of others. I'd like to think we are all responsible adults. The original poster passed on a driving experience that praises Porsche engineering. He also learned a lesson regarding pushing his car in certain conditions. I think his post was useful. Some of the others ... not so much
Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

^^ what are you talking about?? I referenced a technical point that summer tires are not designed for sub 45 degree weather and therefore its not a good idea to use them in the situation as he describe it and I am a know it all?? You in grade 3 or something?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM
vern1
Drifting

[quote=PCC;10127759][QUOTE=sjfehr;10127678]Honestly, speed has nothing to do with it- especially not on the highway where you might just as well be driving an F-350 as a 911 if all you're doing is holding 80-100. If PSM is engaging on the highway, you're doing something HORRIBLY wrong!

As I previously stated "I understand your position (especially as it relates to PSM being activated on public roads." .

What I don't like is when people express "elitist" views with respect to people's driving habits. I drive fast when conditions allow but respect the safety of others. I'd like to think we are all responsible adults. The original poster passed on a driving experience that praises Porsche engineering. He also learned a lesson regarding pushing his car in certain conditions. I think his post was useful. Some of the others ... not so much
It wasnt clear he got the point (which he subsequently said he did) and some people drive in unsafe conditions with out knowing it (some people think summer tires are just fine unless there is snow on the road). If passing on a little knowledge about this is "elitist" , then so be it.

Pls enlighten me to which Pcar you have and where you are located as I would like to keep a look out for you and your non elitist driving habits
Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM
PCC
Instructor

You stated:

"in the best of times and even if the tires were brand new, not a great idea to be whipping around a corner in 3rd at 6K"

I disagreed saying the cars are made for that and still do. We argee with respect to summer tires in the winter.

I track both my cars. I know their limits. I have an older GT3 and 997.2 S Cab.

My apology for the "know it all" comment (yes, rather juvenile).

Last edited by PCC; 01-08-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

3rd at 6k is what, about 90mph? Probably not a great idea to be "whipping around a corner" on a public road like that. Especially on summer tires on a 45 degree day. That's a recipe for putting the car in a situation that not even PSM can save your *** from.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by PCC
You stated:

"in the best of times and even if the tires were brand new, not a great idea to be whipping around a corner in 3rd at 6K"

I disagreed saying the cars are made for that and still do. We argee with respect to summer tires in the winter.

I track both my cars. I know their limits. I have an older GT3 and 997.2 S Cab.

My apology for the "know it all" comment (yes, rather jevenile).
I said, if you had bothered to read and quote the COMPLETE sentence "Summer rubber is not meant to be out below 7C (45F) in the best of times and even if the tires were brand new, not a great idea to be whipping around a corner in 3rd at 6K."

ie dont drive summer tires old or new in 7C weather the way he described it. Come on man
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by sjfehr
3rd at 6k is what, about 90mph? Probably not a great idea to be "whipping around a corner" on a public road like that. Especially on summer tires on a 45 degree day. That's a recipe for putting the car in a situation that not even PSM can save your *** from.
Unfortunately, no matter how good PSM is, I think it does lead to some potentially bad habits as some people think it will save them from any stupid driving they do and thats when they find out the hard way.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vern...it doesn't matter what the subject is you'll always pounce on anyone that has a different belief than you do. For some sick reason you take delight in belittling others on this forum and I suspect in every walk of life, you do the same. 800 posts in 6-years tells us all that you contribute very little. You're an irritant, sociopath and a disease.

I had hoped you were on a permanant hiatus in some 3rd World Country trying to make yourself feel good about your obvious elitist complex but here you are putting your 2 cents in where it doesn't belong. Instead of just pointing out that summer tires don't work well below 45F you have to try to make the OP look stupid.

Vern, you have graduated to my ignore list. Congratulation!

[quote=vern1;10127784][quote=PCC;10127759]
Originally Posted by sjfehr
Honestly, speed has nothing to do with it- especially not on the highway where you might just as well be driving an F-350 as a 911 if all you're doing is holding 80-100. If PSM is engaging on the highway, you're doing something HORRIBLY wrong!

It wasnt clear he got the point (which he subsequently said he did) and some people drive in unsafe conditions with out knowing it (some people think summer tires are just fine unless there is snow on the road). If passing on a little knowledge about this is "elitist" , then so be it.

Pls enlighten me to which Pcar you have and where you are located as I would like to keep a look out for you and your non elitist driving habits
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
While under full throttle, I felt the "***" kick out, but as I stayed in the throttle, it immediately corrected itself. Not sure if the traction control kicked in or if keeping the hammer down corrected the situatuion, but it was a little unnerving!
It probably fired the brake at the outside rear to correct for oversteer.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:12 PM
vern1
Drifting

Spooky, nice to see that you havent changed your tune in the slightest. I have no idea how you my comments would be interpretted as belittling and comments that others also pointed out (except for the gentleman who miss quoted me). And thanks for mixing up my quotes with sjfehr. I suppose we are both just belittling the OP? What does any of this have to do with my beliefs? I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE TECHNICAL ASPECTS OF SUMMER TIRES

Anyways you jumped in with the sole intention of creating a ruckus with me and I am quite happy to be on your ignore list as I wont have to endure any more of your moronic comments

bye bye
Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Does being in Sports Mode allow the car to corner more aggressively without correction kicking in ?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
vern1
Drifting

^Yes.

I would give a more detailed explanation but that may be elitist or belittling
Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think next time it snows (if ever) I need to find an empty parking lot and test out how the PSM behaves/feels.

Is there a doughnut setting?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. I notice that I can still rally the car a bit coming out of turns hard on the throttle. I don't think Porsche makes the dynamic control too intrusive. I've never driven the car with the stability control off. One of my buddies said he did it once and doesn't recommend it.

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Does being in Sports Mode allow the car to corner more aggressively without correction kicking in ?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM
vern1
Drifting

^^ I guess he'd have the answer if he hadnt ignored me

The Sport mode allows a little more latitude on slippage before PSM intervention. My understanding is the PSM will reactivate in certain situations even if you turn it off. Its been discussed before so you can search the threads if you need more details

Quick Reply: not sure what saved my ass "literally", but....