Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not sure what saved my ass "literally", but....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just how many threads can one guy try to ruin ?
If you search for Spokane5150 and key word Ignore, you come up with 10 threads in the 997 forum alone.
If you follow the thread Edgy started praising the forum, you won't find his posts, because he began a homophobic rant, out of the blue, and his comments were deleted, along with those he dragged into confronting him.
What a sad sack.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
It probably fired the brake at the outside rear to correct for oversteer.
This would most likey be what happened if it came into play, but I still honestly don't know if it did kick in. Usually when it kicks in, you hear, feel and see it (light on dash). Some more details are that my car has "SPASM" not the standard PASM and was also in sport mode to boot, which to my understanding, gives a lot more play before the system kicks in for a save. The *** slightly kicked out for a second and immediately corrected itself, while I stayed in the throttle. It wasn't like I was drifting and feathering the throttle thru a sharp turn. It was a slight bend in the road, not a corner and the wet spots I previously mentioned were last encountered about a mile back. This location was bone dry and 100% free of traffic. I wanted to make the traffic, note, because I don't play at the expense of others.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
This would most likey be what happened if it came into play, but I still honestly don't know if it did kick in. Usually when it kicks in, you hear, feel and see it (light on dash). Some more details are that my car has "SPASM" not the standard PASM and was also in sport mode to boot, which to my understanding, gives a lot more play before the system kicks in for a save. The *** slightly kicked out for a second and immediately corrected itself, while I stayed in the throttle. It wasn't like I was drifting and feathering the throttle thru a sharp turn. It was a slight bend in the road, not a corner and the wet spots I previously mentioned were last encountered about a mile back. This location was bone dry and 100% free of traffic. I wanted to make the traffic, note, because I don't play at the expense of others.
I am not sure the light always comes on immediately. I have felt my car "correct itself" in slippery conditions (like snow the past week) and the light only seems to come on if it intervenes for a noticable period of time. Maybe I am wrong

Anyways no harm done and you prob only hit a patch of dust or something. Happens to us all. The important thing is you didnt put yourself in serious distress.

My comments on PSM habits was not directed at you (or anyone in particular). Rather just a general comment that with the advent of PSM or any stability control program people sometimes rely on them too much and can put themselves in situations that no stability control can help with. In the past if you knew it wasnt there at least I tended to think before putting the pedal down a little further

Safe driving
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
Just how many threads can one guy try to ruin ?
If you search for Spokane5150 and key word Ignore, you come up with 10 threads in the 997 forum alone.
If you follow the thread Edgy started praising the forum, you won't find his posts, because he began a homophobic rant, out of the blue, and his comments were deleted, along with those he dragged into confronting him.
What a sad sack.
Bingo.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Bingo.
As a long term member, but recent active poster, I did not see anything at all wrong with anything Vern posted.

I just read them all again and I think he is dead on.

Just my 2 Cents

Carry On

Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
As a long term member, but recent active poster, I did not see anything at all wrong with anything Vern posted.

Just my 2 Cents

Carry On

Thanks

but you have probably now earned a spot on Spokanes well used ignore list - if you werent on it already

Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He promised that I was going on it a few months back, but he's too much of a lonely drama queen and a loud mouth , to actually miss out on any chance for a confrontation.
Some people lash out at empty chairs...he lashes out at avatars and pixels on a screen.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin

Just my 2 Cents

Carry On

Agreed. He didn't lecture on driving slowly, just said cold temps and summer tires may not be a good combination for pushing it.

I'm on Spokie's ignore list. Thankfully. He tends to ruin a lot of threads
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

I am not sure the light always comes on immediately. I have felt my car "correct itself" in slippery conditions (like snow the past week) and the light only seems to come on if it intervenes for a noticable period of time. Maybe I am wrong

Anyways no harm done and you prob only hit a patch of dust or something. Happens to us all. The important thing is you didnt put yourself in serious distress.

My comments on PSM habits was not directed at you (or anyone in particular). Rather just a general comment that with the advent of PSM or any stability control program people sometimes rely on them too much and can put themselves in situations that no stability control can help with. In the past if you knew it wasnt there at least I tended to think before putting the pedal down a little further

Safe driving
I hear you and all input is much appreciated. I wasn't even implying you were directing anything at me. I agree with your PSM comment, people should NEVER rely on it to save them. It should only be there to correct mistakes.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
43 degrees is marginal for summer rubber. It's good you left the PSM on.
My ****, on packed snow or ice summer tires are worth their weight in GOLD.

Specialty winter tires only work RARELY, freshly fallen snow (or MUD) where they can BITE!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM
wwest
Drifting

I dont think you quite got his point. Summer rubber is not meant to be out below 7C (45F) in the best of times and even if the tires were brand new, not a great idea to be whipping around a corner in 3rd at 6K. But to each his own and that what the PSM is there for, to try and keep us out of the ditch
If PSM actually worked, as would have a quick bit of counter-steer, then he was well within the traction bounds of his "summer" tires
Old 01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Speaking only for myself, when my PSM has kicked in the last place I was looking at was the dash to see if, or how quickly, the light was on or how quickly it might have flashed. For me, the car adjusts, I gather my wits, and then notice (usually peripherally) that the the PSM is on.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Totally got the point, just had to mention that the rubber was not 5-6 yrs old, but yes it was summer rubber. It really wasn't a "corner" it was a slight bend in the road. It was the combo of the fat of the power band, the "bend" in the road, salt dust and probably a little water on the tires from misc wet spots.

If it was a front engined car, it probably would not have happened.

No, it would have been WORSE, lower rear weight = lower traction availability at the rear, even PSM help would have been more marginal.

We all know that rear engined Porsche's love to swing their asses around (upon LIFT throttle, constant/moderate throttle application and Porsche's are more likely to hold the "line".) , so thank God for the PSM and a Porsche lesson learned for me. I was obviously unaware that I went beyond it's limits, given the circumstances.
Since it "recovered" you were well within PSM's limits, or even yours had you acted quickly with a bit of counter-steering. Porsche's stability control delays activation just long enough to give the driver time to react FIRST. Even with that slight delay PSM still worked to recover from the event, indicating you were operating well with the bounds of the roadbed traction available at the time.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Cold weather rubber would keep that from happening.

Summer tires in cold temps are like leather dress shoes on a wet marble floor.
Questionable statement, lack of foundation.

Summer tires have more surface traction area.

Specialty winter tires are only of help on soft, penetrable, surfaces, feshly fallen, loose, snow, or MUD. Actually, OFTEN, detrimental due to shortage of surface contact area vs "summer" tires.

On an ice rink surface I'll put my nice and quiet, comfortably riding, summer use only, tires, up against ANY specialty winter tires...no studs.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
On an ice rink surface I'll put my nice and quiet, comfortably riding, summer use only, tires, up against ANY specialty winter tires...no studs.
Rubber compounds are different; summer compounds are designed to be soft and pliable at higher temperatures and can be rock hard in the cold. Some summer tires will actually crack if you try to drive them on too cold of a day! You won't be getting much grip in ice either way, but you'd still be better off on ice with a softer compound that offered more grip at cool temperatures.

Driving around on summer tires in the winter will build up some heat in them so they'll generally get up to reasonable temps and grip OK even on a cold day, but those first few miles are gonna be sketchy.

Quick Reply: not sure what saved my ass "literally", but....