Sponsored by:

Buying a used Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013 | 11:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Thanks for the info gents.
I spoke to a Porsche dealer service dept today and asked if they would do a PPI on a private sale vehicle and was told that Porsche no longer does private PPI's, something to do with lawsuits.
He said they can do a safety inspection, check the tires and brakes for example but not much else and certainly not any major engine inspections like compression tests and the like.
He said I'd have to take it to an independent shop.
Unfortunately most of the cars I'm interested in are private sales and not dealer inventory so no CPO available.
I also checked out aftermarket extended warranties and read horror story after horror story of companies denying claims.
The dealer also said that no aftermarket warranty company would touch a GT3.
The best compression test you can give the engine is to run the engine, drive the car over a distance -- 15 miles or so -- with a route chosen that gives you first as a passenger then as a driver a chance to experience the car in a variety of scenarios.

The DME constantly monitors -- among a myriad of things -- each cylinder's combustion by measuring the amount of acceleration the cylinder's combustion stroke imparts to the flywheel. If this amount is below a certain threshold (or above) a misfire error code is logged and the CEL is turned on.

If the CEL stays off -- and you verify it works by making sure it lights up when you first turn on the ignition key -- during this ride/drive test and the engine (and of course the rest of the car) exhibits no untoward behavior then you have gone a long way towards confirming the engine/car is in good health.

An added benefit of giving a candidate used car a thorough test ride/drive check out is it is by using the car, running the engine, that this gives leaks a chance to make themselves known. This is why any PPI should be done *after* the test ride/drive.
Old 01-04-2013 | 12:58 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info gents.
I spoke to a Porsche dealer service dept today and asked if they would do a PPI on a private sale vehicle and was told that Porsche no longer does private PPI's, something to do with lawsuits.
He said they can do a safety inspection, check the tires and brakes for example but not much else and certainly not any major engine inspections like compression tests and the like.
He said I'd have to take it to an independent shop.
Unfortunately most of the cars I'm interested in are private sales and not dealer inventory so no CPO available.
I also checked out aftermarket extended warranties and read horror story after horror story of companies denying claims.
The dealer also said that no aftermarket warranty company would touch a GT3.
Just curious but was porsche dealer servicing the car or not?

It would seem a dealer might do a ppi if the seller was their original customer. Maybe this isn't the case.
Old 01-04-2013 | 01:18 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

The local dealer told me the same thing. They did say they will do a mechanical inspection, but nothing cosmetic, no paint meter, etc. They will also do a DME scan at an additional cost.

If you examine the car yourself, any cosmetic issues should be apparent. The dealer can confirm the mechanical stuff that may not be readily visible. As could an independent shop, likely at a lower cost.
Old 01-04-2013 | 03:00 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Macster, that is basically what the Porsche service gent said.
He said turn on the ignition and see if the check engine light works, take the car for a drive and if there is an issue with the engine the light will light up.
Basically saying that with today's engines they self diagnose themselves, which I do find reassuring.
thanks for your help gents, now the hunt begins.
I guess the best place to start looking is locally, so I can physically see and test drive the vehicle.
I've read that many have found their used Porsche's far away from home, but that requires a lot of faith on the buyers part.
I'm in Socal, the exotic car mecca of the world, so I should be able to find something close to home.
cheers

Quick Reply: Buying a used Porsche.