Sponsored by:

Buying a used Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buying a used Porsche.

I'm interested in buying a used Porsche, a 2007 Turbo or GT3 and it will more than likely be out of warranty.
If I find a car I plan on taking it to a Porsche dealer for an inspection?
Can a dealer determine if the engine has been over revved, or is that something that can be reset?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Zero Cool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maverick1
I'm interested in buying a used Porsche, a 2007 Turbo or GT3 and it will more than likely be out of warranty.
If I find a car I plan on taking it to a Porsche dealer for an inspection?
Can a dealer determine if the engine has been over revved, or is that something that can be reset?
Yes, it will be on the DME report which should be included in the PPI. Ask for the print out.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

My 05 which I bought this year is under CPO warranty for 2 years. There is no reason an 07 cannot be CPO. The additional $2500 or so that you pay for CPO is worth every penny.
Caesar
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
My 05 which I bought this year is under CPO warranty for 2 years. There is no reason an 07 cannot be CPO. The additional $2500 or so that you pay for CPO is worth every penny.
Caesar
I agree, I actually went for a C2S Coupe, but thought about 2007 Turbo, one reason I went for the C2S is the 4 years of warranty.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Can you get a CPO if you buy from a private individual or do you have to buy it from a dealer?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Can you get a CPO if you buy from a private individual or do you have to buy it from a dealer?
Dealer only. If you are on good terms with your dealer, it's possible for the private seller to 'sell' it to the dealer who will inspect and CPO for you. Expect to pay at least $2k for the CPO. dave
Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Dealer only. If you are on good terms with your dealer, it's possible for the private seller to 'sell' it to the dealer who will inspect and CPO for you. Expect to pay at least $2k for the CPO. dave
I am picking up my 997.2 tonight. I passed on the CPO because I don't expect to have $2500 worth of repairs needed. Also because it's a low mileage (14K) car and I won't put many miles on it (3-5K/year). I have a Panamera S as my daily driver.

The $2500 is what the dealer told me it will cost to get the CPO warranty. That's on top of whatever they want to charge you to inspect it to qualify for CPO and any repairs, tire replacements or deferred maintenance required to bring it up to CPO status.

I had a CPO on my 996 cab and it only had one service under CPO. If I had to pay for it, it wouldn't have been more than a few hundred dollars. And actually, if it hadn't of been under CPO, I would have repaired it myself for less than $100.

But hey, if you're not handy with a wrench and especially if you've never owned a Porsche before, then a CPO is great peace of mind.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I am picking up my 997.2 tonight.
I expect to see a new post with pics by the end of the weekend Dave
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I am picking up my 997.2 tonight. I passed on the CPO because I don't expect to have $2500 worth of repairs needed. Also because it's a low mileage (14K) car and I won't put many miles on it (3-5K/year). I have a Panamera S as my daily driver.

The $2500 is what the dealer told me it will cost to get the CPO warranty. That's on top of whatever they want to charge you to inspect it to qualify for CPO and any repairs, tire replacements or deferred maintenance required to bring it up to CPO status.

I had a CPO on my 996 cab and it only had one service under CPO. If I had to pay for it, it wouldn't have been more than a few hundred dollars. And actually, if it hadn't of been under CPO, I would have repaired it myself for less than $100.

But hey, if you're not handy with a wrench and especially if you've never owned a Porsche before, then a CPO is great peace of mind.
WOW, that makes like 4 of us in the past week that have picked up New 997's.

Good times!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I would agree but fixes on these cars can get very expensive very fast. My cayenne s had a leak coming from the ceiling Headliner and subwoofer had to be replaced. Coolant pipes burst. It was in the shop several times in 3 years. Easily 5k in repairs. All covered. My 911 has had ball joints replaced, the PCM unit replaced 2 speakers replaced. I have owned it for 5 months. I bought it with 16k miles on it and feels like a new car. Just saying that unless you are incredibly handy and have all the right tools a CPO car may be a better bet.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 142 Posts

You can get a CPO'd car from a private sale. If the car is ALREADY under CPO, the CPO transfers from owner to owner as long as it doesn't go through any dealership - Porsche or otherwise. The new owner would have whatever's left of the 2 year CPO period.

Once a pre-owned car hits a non-Porsche dealership, the CPO vanishes.
If the car goes to a Porsche dealership, all bets are off. I guess they could leave the existing CPO in place (?) or re-CPO it and pass the cost on to you!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I had decided that I would only buy a CPO months ago when I started looking. When I finally found the exact car I wanted at a non-p dealer, that thought went out the window real quick. You will be able to buy an aftermarket warranty though, that will cover more that the P-Authorized agreement does(I.e. electronics like nav and stereo), which is what I did. 3 year, 50k bumper to bumper was about 4k and is accepted at the p-dealer.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Little Green
I would agree but fixes on these cars can get very expensive very fast. My cayenne s had a leak coming from the ceiling Headliner and subwoofer had to be replaced. Coolant pipes burst. It was in the shop several times in 3 years. Easily 5k in repairs. All covered. My 911 has had ball joints replaced, the PCM unit replaced 2 speakers replaced. I have owned it for 5 months. I bought it with 16k miles on it and feels like a new car. Just saying that unless you are incredibly handy and have all the right tools a CPO car may be a better bet.
Agreed, to me the extra 2 years I got is definatley worth $2K, but I guess your rolling the dice either way. Also the fact it qualifies for a CPO gives additional piece of mind.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info gents.
I spoke to a Porsche dealer service dept today and asked if they would do a PPI on a private sale vehicle and was told that Porsche no longer does private PPI's, something to do with lawsuits.
He said they can do a safety inspection, check the tires and brakes for example but not much else and certainly not any major engine inspections like compression tests and the like.
He said I'd have to take it to an independent shop.
Unfortunately most of the cars I'm interested in are private sales and not dealer inventory so no CPO available.
I also checked out aftermarket extended warranties and read horror story after horror story of companies denying claims.
The dealer also said that no aftermarket warranty company would touch a GT3.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may get as good or better PPI reports from a good Indy shop. I have a 09 c4S that I bought used CPO from the Bay Area 2 yrs ago and shipped up to Seattle. I also have a 2007 GT3 with low miles 10K bought from a non Porsche dealer. So no CPO. I had my Indy shop do a PPI and I also knew of the cars history. Because I track the car and will soon do coolant fittings welding likely would void most CPO issues. My wife has an extended aftermarket warranty for her Boxster that we got new back in 05. So we have an assortment of plans.

Quick Reply: Buying a used Porsche.