Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VF Supercharger and CA smog. Need help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VF Supercharger and CA smog. Need help...

Just picked up an 06 997 S with a VF SC. If anyone has a smog guy in the Bay Area please pm ASAP! Thanks guys!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:26 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnerd
Just picked up an 06 997 S with a VF SC. If anyone has a smog guy in the Bay Area please pm ASAP! Thanks guys!
Did you buy the car in California? If so, didn't the seller disclose you wouldn't be able to pass smog?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Did you buy the car in California? If so, didn't the seller disclose you wouldn't be able to pass smog?
I bought it knowing the risk.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
In CA, you can no longer transfer a title unless the smog is within the past 45 days. I'm guessing the seller didn't give you a clean smog report or you bought it out of state. dave
Old 12-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Yeah.... general rule here is anything before the cats needs a CARB sticker/CERT. They're going to do a visual and if not familiar with porsches they very well may miss it. I just had a car smogged recently and basically they did about a 2 min walk through, then put it on the dyno to run it with the sensor in the pipe and cable connected to the OBDII. He didn't crawl under it to check anything.

*** I'm not as familiar with the rules as I used to be, but a car that fails may get flagged with mods so be careful ***

Go to a sketchy shop that doesn't know porsche. They very well may not know what they're looking at. As long as you pass they dyno you're good.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dasams
In CA, you can no longer transfer a title unless the smog is within the past 45 days. I'm guessing the seller didn't give you a clean smog report or you bought it out of state. dave
Hmm, I bought in CA. I always thought it was the buyers responsibility to smog..?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I bought in CA. I always thought it was the buyers responsibility to smog..?
Not anymore. Sold my wife's car earlier this year and was surprised by the regs. Also pi$$ed me off because her smog was two months old and was no good. My tenant sold her beater two months ago and as I was explaining the rules to her, she said "I know, I just passed the smog". AFAIK, the seller can't transfer the title to you without a smog. It is his responsibility, not your's. dave
Old 12-31-2012, 02:51 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dasams
Not anymore. Sold my wife's car earlier this year and was surprised by the regs. Also pi$$ed me off because her smog was two months old and was no good. My tenant sold her beater two months ago and as I was explaining the rules to her, she said "I know, I just passed the smog". AFAIK, the seller can't transfer the title to you without a smog. It is his responsibility, not your's. dave
Thanks, just found what you're saying on the CA DMV website. Now him and I are in a bit of a pickle as we BOTH didnt know about this till just now. lol! Again, thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Tolgahan Ures
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the random question. Hows does the SC feel ?

Planning on getting the supercharger and it would be great to have some info about it.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:05 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Now him and I are in a bit of a pickle as we BOTH didnt know about this till just now.
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tolgahan Ures
Sorry for the random question. Hows does the SC feel ?

Planning on getting the supercharger and it would be great to have some info about it.
Very linear. About as fast as my 996 chipped/exhausted turbo but much more linear in power delivery. It's a good amount of power, the car was dyno'ed at 430 to the wheels on a Mustang dyno.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, just found what you're saying on the CA DMV website. Now him and I are in a bit of a pickle as we BOTH didnt know about this till just now. lol! Again, thanks for the heads up.
That car belongs in KANSAS! Where she can roam free and breathe as needed. Where the turbo's and the antelope roam.

Seriously...good luck with the whole thing. Hope you can get it done and keep the SC are there! Had no idea about the smog/title thing regarding the SELLER...that's wild!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wheeler
That car belongs in KANSAS! Where she can roam free and breathe as needed. Where the turbo's and the antelope roam.

Seriously...good luck with the whole thing. Hope you can get it done and keep the SC are there! Had no idea about the smog/title thing regarding the SELLER...that's wild!
Haha! Find me a 7GT3 and I'll trade ya! Even ship it out for free

Ya apparently it's been around for a long time and I've just been ignorant

Quick Reply: VF Supercharger and CA smog. Need help...