Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement Needed on my 997.2 with CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had several batteries shipped to me. Purchased on Amazon.

However, I'd throw a complete fit with P Car dealer. Heck, four month from CPO point and dead battery? If no joy with dealer, I'd elevate it to PCNA. I agree that it's a consumable item, but I'd argue that the battery was obviously not load tested when I bought the car when it's CPO was put in place. GL.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:40 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

By the way, I re-read your OP. Did you say after letting the car sit, you had it jumped and then drove it around, turned off ignition and then tried to re-start but it wouldn't start? If so, what makes you think it's the battery? Did you have it load tested? if not, sounds to me if you gave the car a good 15 minute drive and came back and it wouldn't start, you've got an Alternator issue that absolutely would be covered under CPO. Even a crappy 4 year old battery could maintain a charge after a few minutes.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:56 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
I've had several batteries shipped to me. Purchased on Amazon.

However, I'd throw a complete fit with P Car dealer. Heck, four month from CPO point and dead battery? If no joy with dealer, I'd elevate it to PCNA. I agree that it's a consumable item, but I'd argue that the battery was obviously not load tested when I bought the car when it's CPO was put in place. GL.
Db..thanks as always my friend. It was quite the chaotic day and I just wanted to get the car running before this weekend..

I agree with you regarding P dealer not wanting to cover it under original or CPO warranty. The service manager kept insisting that Posche requires the cars to be driven X miles per year in order to honor any warranty claims for battery failures. I even explained to him your reason above as well regarding the load testing prior to CPO qualification by dealer..all answers were NO and I had to pay for a new one.

Going to write PCNA and see what they have to say, I'm quite pissed to say the least.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:02 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
By the way, I re-read your OP. Did you say after letting the car sit, you had it jumped and then drove it around, turned off ignition and then tried to re-start but it wouldn't start? If so, what makes you think it's the battery? Did you have it load tested? if not, sounds to me if you gave the car a good 15 minute drive and came back and it wouldn't start, you've got an Alternator issue that absolutely would be covered under CPO. Even a crappy 4 year old battery could maintain a charge after a few minutes.
Yeah, didn't drive it for 2 weeks or so and had to jump the first time..drove it on the freeway for 30 mins. 3 hrs later came back and car was dread again. Jumped a second time and once again drove for 45 mins on freeway. This second time I restarted it and it started right away, however, after I came out 4 hrs later it was dead and required jumping for me to drive home.

Dealer said battery was done so it couldn't store charge. Since they installed the new one it has restarted fine. Not sure if they even tried to load test the problematic battery prior to changing a new one.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vg247
Db..thanks as always my friend. It was quite the chaotic day and I just wanted to get the car running before this weekend..

I agree with you regarding P dealer not wanting to cover it under original or CPO warranty. The service manager kept insisting that Posche requires the cars to be driven X miles per year in order to honor any warranty claims for battery failures. I even explained to him your reason above as well regarding the load testing prior to CPO qualification by dealer..all answers were NO and I had to pay for a new one.

Going to write PCNA and see what they have to say, I'm quite pissed to say the least.
PCNA will probably refer you to the warranty book -

Your Responsibility for Normal Vehicle Use

Your Owner’s Manual (which includes specific recommendations against
using your car in certain ways) was written with the assumption that you
will use your car only in ways for which it was designed:

• To be driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal speed limits.
Porsche Guidelines specify reasonable mileage to be at least 15
miles / 24 kilometers per day or 6000 miles / 9600 kilometers per
rolling 12 months.
• If you drive less than the above-mentioned limits, or in the event of
prolonged storage, contact your local authorized Porsche dealer for
instructions.
(Note: A battery maintainer is available at your local authorized
Porsche dealer. It must be used to maintain your vehicle’s battery
state of charge if your vehicle will not be used for several days.)

Some dealers take a more enlightened approach to this and will replace the battery in low mileage conditions...but usually only one time.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:40 PM
997GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 Carrera GTS with CPO warranty wouldn't start this AM, called Roadside and was told my battery has gone bad. They jump start it and I drove it to my local P dealer immediately. Thinking the battery would be covered by CPO. The SA had the battery tested, sure enough it needed to be replaced. Told me that CPO does not cover batteries, would be about $450 out of my pocket. At that point, I was like oh well, what the heck, since I am here, go ahead and replace it. As I was waiting in the waiting area, I search the P Forums then went to look at Porsche's CPO site...TO MY SURPRISE!!!...
Link (http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...ures/warranty/), the 2nd bullet under "This warranty does not cover:" states "Batteries damaged from storage, lack of normal vehicle use, or non-Porsche Approved electrical or accessory installation.". HECK YEAH!, NONE OF THEM APPLIES TO ME, so I am covered, right? I showed this to my SA immediately and told him that I am not going to pay for the battery replacement since it's covered under CPO, then he went to get the GM. I showed it to him and he said that P will not cover it but he would split the cost with me. I live on principle, so still try to get it covered under CPO. As I was there, I called (800)-POR-SCHE to ask about this, the lady on the phone was rude and said that battery was not covered even after she saw what I saw and read it to me. I asked to speak with someone else that can help, she said they will all tell me the same thing, so didn't transfer me. I was PO'd at the service I received from the P lady (USELESS!). I ended up paying for half and the GM is going to try to get it CPO'd and if he is successful, he will reimburse me the $. I just can't believe that Porsche will say one thing on their website and have a different story elsewhere. Was satisfied on how my dealer handled the situation but not how Porsche handled it.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:52 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997GTS
My 2011 Carrera GTS with CPO warranty wouldn't start this AM, called Roadside and was told my battery has gone bad. They jump start it and I drove it to my local P dealer immediately. Thinking the battery would be covered by CPO. The SA had the battery tested, sure enough it needed to be replaced. Told me that CPO does not cover batteries, would be about $450 out of my pocket. At that point, I was like oh well, what the heck, since I am here, go ahead and replace it. As I was waiting in the waiting area, I search the P Forums then went to look at Porsche's CPO site...TO MY SURPRISE!!!...
Link (http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...ures/warranty/), the 2nd bullet under "This warranty does not cover:" states "Batteries damaged from storage, lack of normal vehicle use, or non-Porsche Approved electrical or accessory installation.". HECK YEAH!, NONE OF THEM APPLIES TO ME, so I am covered, right? I showed this to my SA immediately and told him that I am not going to pay for the battery replacement since it's covered under CPO, then he went to get the GM. I showed it to him and he said that P will not cover it but he would split the cost with me. I live on principle, so still try to get it covered under CPO. As I was there, I called (800)-POR-SCHE to ask about this, the lady on the phone was rude and said that battery was not covered even after she saw what I saw and read it to me. I asked to speak with someone else that can help, she said they will all tell me the same thing, so didn't transfer me. I was PO'd at the service I received from the P lady (USELESS!). I ended up paying for half and the GM is going to try to get it CPO'd and if he is successful, he will reimburse me the $. I just can't believe that Porsche will say one thing on their website and have a different story elsewhere. Was satisfied on how my dealer handled the situation but not how Porsche handled it.
Porsche will usually deny warranty on battery for "lack of normal vehicle use" which Porsche deems to be driving 500 miles/month or 6,000 miles/year - it's in the warranty manual. Even split 50/50 you're going to end up paying more than you would for a quality aftermarket battery...and they usually have a 3 year replacement warranty with non of the Porsche "weasel" words. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:56 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A battery could fall under :
The replacement of expendable maintenance items (such as spark plugs, filters, worn wiper blades, worn brakes, worn clutches, worn tires) when the replacement is not due to a defect in material or workmanship.

I'd look at the actual warranty paperwork rather than the bullet points on their website.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:57 PM
997GTS
Intermediate

I have put on 4K plus miles in the last 6.5 months. I just got off the phone with 800Porsche and told them the story. This time they are going to look into it and call me back. I will provide update afterwards.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:58 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

I have put on 4K plus miles in the last 6.5 months. I just got off the phone with 800Porsche and told them the story. This time they are going to look into it and call me back. I will provide update afterwards.
Stand firm - doesn't look like you will fall under the low mileage clause.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:05 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You should also lock your car to minimize battery drain

I am told the car searches for the remote continuously if the car is unlocked. This drains the battery. I now lock my car even in my garage.
Charlie
Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 PM
997GTS
Intermediate

Update: Call 800Porsche and talked with a lady named Kim, told her the situation and she said she will look into it and call me back. She did, only to tell me that it's not covered and that I would need to contact the battery manufacturer to see if they would cover it since it's not a Porsche part. That really surprised me, what a stupid response. I then said to her that there are a lot of parts that are not manufactured by Porsche, are those not covered and I would need to contact the parts mfg? I asked to speak with someone that has authority to make decisions and she said that they will all give me the same answer, not covered. I asked to speak to a manager, she said that she will let them know and they will call me back within 24 hrs. I will see where that goes.
It may seem like a waste of time to keep pushing this, but I am in too deep.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:41 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

small claims court might be worth the entertainment. It would be in your area since that is where the transaction took place.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:32 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Update: Call 800Porsche and talked with a lady named Kim, told her the situation and she said she will look into it and call me back. She did, only to tell me that it's not covered and that I would need to contact the battery manufacturer to see if they would cover it since it's not a Porsche part. That really surprised me, what a stupid response. I then said to her that there are a lot of parts that are not manufactured by Porsche, are those not covered and I would need to contact the parts mfg? I asked to speak with someone that has authority to make decisions and she said that they will all give me the same answer, not covered. I asked to speak to a manager, she said that she will let them know and they will call me back within 24 hrs. I will see where that goes.
It may seem like a waste of time to keep pushing this, but I am in too deep.
In order to CPO a car doesn't Porsche have to use a Porsche OEM battery. Even though Porsche doesn't make the Moll battery they do use them in all their 911's so I find it ludicrous that they are sending you to the manufacturer...if there is a problem with the calipers do they send you to Brembo?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Batteries fall under the same situation as tires. Porsche warranties neither but you are covered by the OEM manufacturers.

It amazes me how many folks get wound around their own axle trying to get warranty coverage under questionable circumstances for minor items like a battery. If you live to a ripe old age you'll learn which battles are worth your energy to fight and which ones aren't.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement Needed on my 997.2 with CPO?