Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement Needed on my 997.2 with CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:38 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Battery Replacement Needed on my 997.2 with CPO?

As winter is here I haven't driven my car much and most recently did not drive it for 2 weeks. Today the battery was dead and I had it jump started. -Drove it at highway speeds for 45mins, came back out and same problem dead battery and car couldnt start..finally got it jumped again to get home.

Question is does the CPO warranty cover this battery replacement if needed and is it unusual for the battery to drain like this in just two weeks of no driving? I have a 20 year old car that starts on spot even when not driven for a month or more.

Last question is if I had to replace and pay for another one-should I stick to the dealer OEM battery and let them do it with the price markup or should I order one from SunCoast and do it myself?

As always, all your feedback is most appreciate. I like to get the car good and ready to drive as soon as possible and live in the South Bay Area, CA.

Thanks advance dear friends..
Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vg247
As winter is here I haven't driven my car much and most recently did not drive it for 2 weeks. Today the battery was dead and I had it jump started. -Drove it at highway speeds for 45mins, came back out and same problem dead battery and car couldnt start..finally got it jumped again to get home.

Question is does the CPO warranty cover this battery replacement if needed and is it unusual for the battery to drain like this in just two weeks of no driving? I have a 20 year old car that starts on spot even when not driven for a month or more.

Last question is if I had to replace and pay for another one-should I stick to the dealer OEM battery and let them do it with the price markup or should I order one from SunCoast and do it myself?

As always, all your feedback is most appreciate. I like to get the car good and ready to drive as soon as possible and live in the South Bay Area, CA.

Thanks advance dear friends..
Winter in SoCal - com'on man drive the car. The car drains battery pretty quick especially if it's been in the car awhile. After you install new battery, buy a battery maintainer and use it when car isn't being driven for an extended period. Doubt CPO will cover battery (considered a "consumable") but you can always ask. Search this forum for battery topics. There a lots of aftermarket alternatives that are perfect fits, cost much less and have a real warranty. For example Interstate H7, Walmart Everstart MAXX H7 - Johnson Controls makes most of the aftermarket batteries today, just marketed with different labels. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aftermarket battery is best. I doubt you can order and have a battery shipped. CPO shouldn't cover tires, brakes, battery but it wouldn't hurt to ask. You're probably looking at $130-$150 for a new one. I was surprised at how much batteries have went up in price over the last few years. Just bought my son one for his e30 and it was $130. Pull into Autozone and they'll put in for free and recycle your old battery. Just make sure the fitment (size), breather line is hooked up (if needed) and the bracket is bolted porperly.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:11 PM
vg247
Pro

As always, thanks so much guys...CPO does not cover battery per my conversation with the P dealer, so off to get a new battery I go. Will also be getting a battery maintainer..lesson learned.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

well.. i would complain that why doesn't the battery not last for 2 weeks.. I had mine replaced under CPO. First they said they wont' cover it then after complaining, they said they will and that I had to cover for the labour. I agreed to that but then when I went to pick up the car (they told me that it's ready), they said that my your car isn't ready becaues they've found something draining the battery and that they'll give me a loaner.

I said, well then, so you're saying that my dead battery is not from me not driving the car for 2 weeks? Hm.. well then, I am not paying a penny. They found it to be the "Boomerang system" that was installed on the car but the subscription is no longer valid in Canada so it keeps "looping" and therefore draining my battery. I said that's cause and effort! Picked up the car a day after and paid $0.00.

Point is complain and that you can't phantom why a car's battery can't last 2 weeks of not driving it. Personally, I've never owned a car that cannot start after two weeks of not driving it. Even my shietty Camry back in the days was able to start after a month of not starting it.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by Chimcu
well.. i would complain that why doesn't the battery not last for 2 weeks.. I had mine replaced under CPO. First they said they wont' cover it then after complaining, they said they will and that I had to cover for the labour. I agreed to that but then when I went to pick up the car (they told me that it's ready), they said that my your car isn't ready becaues they've found something draining the battery and that they'll give me a loaner.

I said, well then, so you're saying that my dead battery is not from me not driving the car for 2 weeks? Hm.. well then, I am not paying a penny. They found it to be the "Boomerang system" that was installed on the car but the subscription is no longer valid in Canada so it keeps "looping" and therefore draining my battery. I said that's cause and effort! Picked up the car a day after and paid $0.00.

Point is complain and that you can't phantom why a car's battery can't last 2 weeks of not driving it. Personally, I've never owned a car that cannot start after two weeks of not driving it. Even my shietty Camry back in the days was able to start after a month of not starting it.
Agreed and all valid points- I'll speak to them while at the dealer. My beater car with 200K miles (a Lexus) starts when I dont drive it for 1 month or so, boggles me with the Porsche battery as well!

Thanks for chiming in :-)
Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Agreed and all valid points- I'll speak to them while at the dealer. My beater car with 200K miles (a Lexus) starts when I dont drive it for 1 month or so, boggles me with the Porsche battery as well!

Thanks for chiming in :-)
Good luck... At the end of the day, a $100K + vehicle, there's no reason why the dealer cannot replace your vehicle under "good will"... FYI.. this is my second battery replaced under CPO.. First one they replaced because it was sitting on the lot for a while so the battery wasn't hold much of a charge so when I bought the car, they decided to replaced the battery (about 1 1/2 year ago) .
Old 12-28-2012, 04:23 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

As always, thanks so much guys...CPO does not cover battery per my conversation with the P dealer, so off to get a new battery I go. Will also be getting a battery maintainer..lesson learned.

Happy New Year!
A maintainer is the way to go. I had issues with my prior M3 as I was traveling for business every week and did not drive it enough. Now once a battery is drained it actually takes a special battery charger with (Desulfater) to properly recover it. If you just put it on a normal charger(like I used to) and/or just drive the car(after getting a jump) the original drained battery will never be at the same capacity again and/or remain dead. Search for the BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfater and just make a habit of connecting the maintainer everyday. I've never had a battery issue since using a maintainer.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:11 PM
vg247
Pro

Thank you everyone- appreciate all your advice and enlightenment, Happy New years...stay safe!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:16 PM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
A maintainer is the way to go. I had issues with my prior M3 as I was traveling for business every week and did not drive it enough. Now once a battery is drained it actually takes a special battery charger with (Desulfater) to properly recover it. If you just put it on a normal charger(like I used to) and/or just drive the car(after getting a jump) the original drained battery will never be at the same capacity again and/or remain dead. Search for the BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfater and just make a habit of connecting the maintainer everyday. I've never had a battery issue since using a maintainer.
Thanks USMC- which model do you recommend? From experience you recommend this over the Porsche one below from Suncoast?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//95504490054.html
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The Porsche maintainer is a good basic maintainer OEM'd from CTEK. I believe it's the CTEK 3300 and you can get it for about half the price of the P-maintainer. For me the Battery MINDer 12248 got me much more capability for a similar price to the P-maintainer... plus I have two vehicles to maintain - the 911 and my old 4Runner(airport car). I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices as long as you get a maintainer. GLVG
Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get an Interstate battery. Cost less than OEM, and as good if not better (e.g. longer warranty period.)

Even Porsche dealers offer Interstate batteries as replacement, I know because I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago at my dealer.

Regards,
Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
The Porsche maintainer is a good basic maintainer OEM'd from CTEK. I believe it's the CTEK 3300 and you can get it for about half the price of the P-maintainer. For me the Battery MINDer 12248 got me much more capability for a similar price to the P-maintainer... plus I have two vehicles to maintain - the 911 and my old 4Runner(airport car). I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices as long as you get a maintainer. GLVG
Thank you USMC and everyone..I'm going with the CTEK 3300

Just had the dealer replace the battery today as I was in the dealership area Price was $388 installed for factory battery fyi-(could have saved some $ but wanted this done before the holiday weekend)
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Thank you USMC and everyone..I'm going with the CTEK 3300

Just had the dealer replace the battery today as I was in the dealership area Price was $388 installed for factory battery fyi-(could have saved some $ but wanted this done before the holiday weekend)
What type of battery did the dealer install?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What type of battery did the dealer install?
It is the OEM Moll battery..had I not been in a hurry would have went with Interstate per the feedback here and on 6Speed and also saved the $

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement Needed on my 997.2 with CPO?