Sponsored by:

Electrical Glitches: 997.2 PCM, Seats, DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 11:25 PM
A4EP
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Electrical Glitches: 997.2 PCM, Seats, DRLs

Over the past couple weeks I have had the PCM reset itself, but only in "Units". It keeps all my data under the "Trip" menu as well as all of my call logs and navi locations but it simply resets my system from miles to KM and the keyboard from my preset QWERTY to the default keyboard.

On top of this I have also found that every few weeks my seat lumbar starts filling up as soon as I open the door, till it is completely full. When I press the seat memory #1 it deflates to my savings.

Finally, in the morning I notice that my "Home" lights do not turn on when I open my door. I can't for the life of me remember if they did this during the day all the time before but I have noticed they still turn on for 30 seconds occasionally in the AM and always at night. Since the 997.2 does not have automatic lights is there a sensor to not turn the "home" lights on when it is light outside???

My PCM has software version 1.4 and I know there is at least v1.44 available if not an even newer version for the 2009 cars but would this fix these weird electrical problems? Has anyone else experienced these?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:38 AM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, can't say that I haven't. I have had my Bose subwoofer go out, but it was replaced under warranty. Sometimes my PCM will "reboot", i.e. it will go to the white screen with Porsche logo on it, then go back to what it is doing. I've also had a failure of my headlights not completing their self-leveling routine. The driver's side just stayed pointed straight down - but that went away after a day.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:20 AM
DallasDave
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

On my third PCM and it is still possessed. Turns off and back on, switches radio stations on its own, switches Bluetooth to my phone off during a conversation and back on. It is very aggravating. Going in for a switch out again.

I don't understand how Porsche got their electronics so wrong.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM
03911TT
Instructor

Had the same PCM rebooting problem on my 09 C4S cab. Dealer finally fixed it by updating navigation software.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:53 PM
ufischer
Instructor

It is possible that you may have saved some of these settings to different keys and are using the keys interchangeably. The car could just be restoring settings for the key you are using to unlock it. Just a thought.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the lumbar thing sure has to do with the key, and whats programmed to it. Maybe even the miles and km thing. Not sure if you can do that. I also find the car home lights work when dark and not when light. Yes the car must have a sensor, its just not activated for daily "use" since you or whoever ordered the car didn't pay for the option.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM
A4EP
Racer

Originally Posted by ufischer
It is possible that you may have saved some of these settings to different keys and are using the keys interchangeably. The car could just be restoring settings for the key you are using to unlock it. Just a thought.
That would make sense but I only use the one key. The other key resides in a box and is never used. It is just the weirdest thing.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 PM
A4EP
Racer

Originally Posted by JonasJ
yeah the lumbar thing sure has to do with the key, and whats programmed to it. Maybe even the miles and km thing. Not sure if you can do that. I also find the car home lights work when dark and not when light. Yes the car must have a sensor, its just not activated for daily "use" since you or whoever ordered the car didn't pay for the option.
Good to know on your home lights too. Thanks for that info. From what i understand the 997.2 did not have an option for automatic lights. This option first appeared on the 991. That is why i am perplexed about the sensor telling the home lights it is day out. Why would Porsche not use that sensor for the headlights as an option? i mean they find a way to charge massive amounts for every other tiny little option that should be standard on a $100k car.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 PM
A4EP
Racer

Originally Posted by 03911TT
Had the same PCM rebooting problem on my 09 C4S cab. Dealer finally fixed it by updating navigation software.
Do you know what software version yours was updated to? I will hask the dealer to do this during my next service.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A4EP
Good to know on your home lights too. Thanks for that info. From what i understand the 997.2 did not have an option for automatic lights. This option first appeared on the 991. That is why i am perplexed about the sensor telling the home lights it is day out. Why would Porsche not use that sensor for the headlights as an option? i mean they find a way to charge massive amounts for every other tiny little option that should be standard on a $100k car.
you seem right about that, I just thought all this time Porsche ripped me off ^^
when you enter the car it tells you what key you have 1 or 2, maybe try the other key? not sure how it works as i have manual seats maybe try the little black book Porsche included that no men ever read
Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On top of this I have also found that every few weeks my seat lumbar starts filling up as soon as I open the door, till it is completely full. When I press the seat memory #1 it deflates to my savings.
I've had this issue with my 2009 Targa on 3 occasions over the past 4 years. I'd get in and realize, damn, these seats are uncomfortable and pressing the seat button see the bladders had fully inflated on their own.

Its NOT a key issue with me, as I'm the only driver and I only use the one key (the other one is tucked away in a pouch in a safe place).

I suspect there are issues with the inflation system -either mechanically, or the electrical data handshake between key sensing and the settings to select is somehow flaky and on occasion draws the wrong conclusions.

But unless something is actually broken and throwing an error code, the technicians cannot fix or diagnose it.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM
PCC
Instructor

Over the past couple weeks I have had the PCM reset itself, but only in "Units". It keeps all my data under the "Trip" menu as well as all of my call logs and navi locations but it simply resets my system from miles to KM and the keyboard from my preset QWERTY to the default keyboard.

Finally, in the morning I notice that my "Home" lights do not turn on when I open my door. I can't for the life of me remember if they did this during the day all the time before but I have noticed they still turn on for 30 seconds occasionally in the AM and always at night. Since the 997.2 does not have automatic lights is there a sensor to not turn the "home" lights on when it is light outside???

My PCM has software version 1.4 and I know there is at least v1.44 available if not an even newer version for the 2009 cars but would this fix these weird electrical problems? Has anyone else experienced these?
My PCM does the same thing sometimes I have a 2009 S Cab
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM
A4EP
Racer

Originally Posted by PCC
My PCM does the same thing sometimes I have a 2009 S Cab
Can you check what software version you have on the PCM?

Quick Reply: Electrical Glitches: 997.2 PCM, Seats, DRLs