Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe to go through a car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 PM
twlai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but if you dont go thru those washing machine, how do to Undercarriage Wash?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:55 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SO... I chose to solve my car washing dilemma by taking my car to a car wash that offered hand washing as well. I dropped off my car for it's "hand wash". I returned later to pick it up, but being winter with these short days, it was dark when I picked up the car so I paid the guy his $25 and drove home.

This morning I pulled the car out of the garage and stepped out to take a look and it seems as if the c*ck sucker put my car through the car wash (thinking that I would never know the difference) as it it totally loaded with swirl marks and my right rear wheel clearly has marks all around the lip of the wheel.

SEEMS LIKE YOU CAN'T TRUST ANYONE!

Looks like I will be buying that No-Rinse stuff mentioned earlier and just doing it in the garage with a couple buckets from now on.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by stefang
We do so love helpful comments like that from left coasters as the darkness starts enveloping us here...
I know! (I used to live out there in the world of eternal darkness (once November arrives).
Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by Little Green
I usually wash at home but when its just above freezing I take it down to the local spray down place. I bring my wool mitt and my car wash. I spend the $2.50 to get the machine started. Really clean the wheels with the spray gun and just soak the car. Rinse my mitt. It shuts off after about 4 minutes.
I then use my soap on both sides of the mitt which honestly is enough to wash the car.
I then slide another $2.50 in the machine and rinse it off and finish with the spot less water finish. I then grab my California water blade and dry 80% of the car off before using a shammy. My hands are still red when I am done but I just can't drive a dirty car.
The waterblade can scratch the surface. Please get a few large mf towels and blot dry the car unless you have access to a leaf blower.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 for the leaf blower
Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by 82_930
SO... I chose to solve my car washing dilemma by taking my car to a car wash that offered hand washing as well. I dropped off my car for it's "hand wash". I returned later to pick it up, but being winter with these short days, it was dark when I picked up the car so I paid the guy his $25 and drove home.

This morning I pulled the car out of the garage and stepped out to take a look and it seems as if the c*ck sucker put my car through the car wash (thinking that I would never know the difference) as it it totally loaded with swirl marks and my right rear wheel clearly has marks all around the lip of the wheel.

Looks like I will be buying that No-Rinse stuff mentioned earlier and just doing it in the garage with a couple buckets from now on.
optimum no rinse is popular. I like chemical guys eco wash. I live in a strict master planned community that doesn't allow car washing so I use the two bucket method in the garage. i do sometimes use a hose to rinse off wheel cleaner or iron x, but that takes less than a minute so I haven't been caught yet by the master plan police.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I met Adam from Adam's Polishes at a seminar he gave at a local car shop.

He said the best two things for his business are automatic car washes and California dusters.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM
hakaida702
Racer

You can use any no rinse style of product, but this vid shows how to do it. It shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by twlai
but if you dont go thru those washing machine, how do to Undercarriage Wash?
Skip it til when it gets warmer or find a buddy with a lift.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by 82_930

Handwashing can still put a ton of scratches and swirls into your car by using the same dirty water over and over and not using grit guards in their buckets. I bet that most hand wash guys never clean their mitts after using it on every panel. Never let your car get handwashed by the local high school cheerleading squad no matter how tempting the bait might be.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hakaida702
optimum no rinse is popular. I like chemical guys eco wash. I live in a strict master planned community that doesn't allow car washing so I use the two bucket method in the garage. i do sometimes use a hose to rinse off wheel cleaner or iron x, but that takes less than a minute so I haven't been caught yet by the master plan police.
I appreciate the green approach to cleaning your car, but if your car is dirty, grit and sand stuck to the body, the only reasonable way to remove the debrie is to power wash or hose off. Other wise you end up rubbing these fine stone particles into your clear coat. Only then can you wash as per video when the car is relatively clean....surely ?

Neil
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I run the family hauler through the car wash once a week. The 997 won't come within a mile of one. Beyond what's already been said, this new water based paint seems really susceptible to swirls, scratches, etc. and I have the flat Guards Red.

You guys will laugh at me but when it gets real cold (for Northern VA), I throw on a pair of Rubbermaid dish washing gloves and have at it. They'll keep your hands from going numb for a good 45 minutes. : )
Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Recycled water, narrow tire guides, brushes - why take the risk? Use this in your garage - no hoses needed.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/onrwns.php
The best part of the video? The warbird flyover at 6:40.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I appreciate the green approach to cleaning your car, but if your car is dirty, grit and sand stuck to the body, the only reasonable way to remove the debrie is to power wash or hose off. Other wise you end up rubbing these fine stone particles into your clear coat. Only then can you wash as per video when the car is relatively clean....surely ?

Neil
A foam cannon would be much better than just blasting the car with plain water if the car is that dirty. The junk would get suspended in the suds then can be rinsed off safely.

I don't let my car get that dirty. Most times a weekly quick detail spray all over the car is enough.

Last edited by hakaida702; 12-13-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've taken my 997 dozens of times through an automatic car wash without any problem.

Quick Reply: Is it safe to go through a car wash?