Sponsored by:

Is it safe to go through a car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Here's what I do to minimise the impact to the paint. As a cabriolet owner, we are specifically told not to use a commercial car wash--too many high pressure hoses pushing in water where the top designers never imagined. These cab tops are great for normal rain, and even most wind-driven rain but a car wash is way below those specifications.

I hose mine off with an exterior garden hose, and then use a very soft brush and soapy water to quickly hit the spots where I know I will have true grime--everything aft of the door handles. Once that is done I hit it again with the garden hose. Then I toss two buckets of inside water (water softened) over the car. I follow that up with a common leaf blower and even my air hose (compressor driven). There's little water left after that but I use those special towels that are lint free.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the rinseless wash.

I use the Griot's now sold over the couter at Advanced Auto. Sometimes I will use Optimum No Rinse in a 2 Gallon pesticide sprayer from Home Depot ($10).
After spraying down the car to loosen the dirt, I'll unscrew the cap of the sprayer to dunk a towel inside for a thorough wipe down. The height of the sprayer gives the debris more room to travel to the bottom so that I'm only working with clean water. I'll use a wheel face brush and the left over water in the sprayer to finish the wheels. 1 ounce of No Rinse solution for ever gallon of water, I use warm water during winter so as not to freeze my hands.

-100 on using microfiber towels on paint.

For anything but seasonal wax removal the pricklyness of those towels is total overkill for a well maintained surface. That's what janitorial companies use to clean floors.... Instead use a long nap detailing towel also sold by Griots (the green or blue towels). I picked up like 20 when Advanced Auto had a 33% email coupon.
For drying use a waffle weave towel but first mist a quick detail spray to further lubricate the paint rubbing. Avoid rubbing on dry paint whenever possible.

p.s.
To the OP, you can swirl a paint just as easily by hand as you can putting it through automatic wash.
As far as swirling, "Hand car wash" places offer no real advantage over drive-thru wash. If anything they're more likely to be using dirty wash mitts full of sediments from the previous cars.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by 82_930
Hi,

In my 996 and 986, the manual clearly stated that car washes should be avoided (due to water getting in the air intakes either on the tail of the 996 or the side scoop of the 986), however in my 997.1, there is no specific mention of car washes. It just states "if washing by hand...etc"...
Did the same manual tell you NOT to drive in the rain? Same difference.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:22 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
-100 on using microfiber towels on paint.

For anything but seasonal wax removal the pricklyness of those towels is total overkill for a well maintained surface. That's what janitorial companies use to clean floors.... Instead use a long nap detailing towel also sold by Griots (the green or blue towels). I picked up like 20 when Advanced Auto had a 33% email coupon.
Griots green and blue are both microfiber towels.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:53 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried the dealer?, many Porsche dealers have car washes in their facilities that they use to wash cars brought in for service, if you are on good terms with them, they will often wash your car if they are not too busy
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Having a machine wash your car is the best option if you want to destroy your paint, ruin your wheels, and slice your tires.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mal28
Have you tried the dealer?, many Porsche dealers have car washes in their facilities that they use to wash cars brought in for service, if you are on good terms with them, they will often wash your car if they are not too busy
A great way to scratch your car up.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mal28
I never let the dealer wash - in fact I have the service advisor specifically write DO NOT WASH on the service order...and also leave a note in big type on the dash. Dealers think they are offering a service when they wash but they use dirty wash rags, etc. Next time you visit the dealer go watch how they wash the cars. I guess you can tell how I feel about dealer washes.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 PM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hakaida702
The waterblade can scratch the surface. Please get a few large mf towels and blot dry the car unless you have access to a leaf blower.
Make sure you only use an electric blower. Gas-powered ones blow out oil traces along with the air ... nasty.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHC
Make sure you only use an electric blower. Gas-powered ones blow out oil traces along with the air ... nasty.
Bull****.

Every gas blower I've owned doesn't mix engine exhaust gases with the blown air.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Good thread.

Totally confused, but good thread.

I'll keep paying the 400 for correction and simple hose down in between.....damn
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 12-14-2012, 01:59 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a debate that never ends. However, it's a debate always worth having as it rekindles our thinking about how we wash (and keep clean) our beloved cars.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Good thread.

Totally confused, but good thread.

I'll keep paying the 400 for correction and simple hose down in between.....damn
Why not just buy a flex, some pads, and menzerna polishes? It's not that hard to learn and quite fun.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Griots green and blue are both microfiber towels.
you know that. I know that. But most car owners think of the term 'microfber towel' as being the standard detailing towel with one prickly side and one short loop side. The Griots green and blue is a high-loft loop type (sold by many other companies) which is far more appropriate for an enthusiast owned car, particularly an expensive one, that rarely gets very dirty.
The standard towels are cheap ($1-3) wheras a the long nap towels are usually $4 and up. It's better to spend your detailing budget on quality towels than 20 kinds of waxes in over-priced 10 step kits.

Quick Reply: Is it safe to go through a car wash?