Sponsored by:

Seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 PM
spittingcobra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advice

Greetings, I am looking at buying a 2005 911 base used with around 40,000 miles on it. It has an engine number of 69501273. Does this have the dual row IMS bearing or the single row IMS bearing?

Would it be an M96 or M97 engine?

Am considering getting warranty through Fidelity and was wondering how much people have paid for platinum coverage? Also have anyone using Fidelity had an IMS problem and got them to cover the same?

I know its a lot of questions, first time 911 buyer and would appreciate any help. Thanks much...:-)
Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by spittingcobra
Greetings, I am looking at buying a 2005 911 base used with around 40,000 miles on it. It has an engine number of 69501273. Does this have the dual row IMS bearing or the single row IMS bearing?

Would it be an M96 or M97 engine?

Am considering getting warranty through Fidelity and was wondering how much people have paid for platinum coverage? Also have anyone using Fidelity had an IMS problem and got them to cover the same?

I know its a lot of questions, first time 911 buyer and would appreciate any help. Thanks much...:-)
Look at the engine serial number when the car is on the lift. That will tell you if the engine is a M96 or M97 engine. I do not recall when the change over occurred.

As for what style of IMSB it has maybe LN Engineering has a white paper on its web site that goes into this.

Can't help you with the cost of a 3rd party extended service contract (warranty).

For what problems you are likely to encounter if you file a claim visit the dealer or shop where you will likely have the work done and ask the service manager and the techs which warranty companies they deal with and what they think of them.

The SM and tech are your representative in case you have to file a claim and they go through this often and can tell you which warranty companies are a real pain to deal with and what you can do to improve the odds should you have to file a claim that the claim is honored.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Slamuth
Racer

I have an 05 C2S, and if I recall my engine number is: M9770168507453. I have the serviceable bearing, can't recall if that's the dual or single row. But I know it's serviceable because the original is now a paperweight in my garage cablinet.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry for stating the obvious but shop around for the extended warranty - that is different places may sell the extended warranty for different prices. And of course read the fine print on coverage. I was told the rule of thumb is the earlier (closer to production year) you buy and with lower miles, the cheaper the warranty is. An extended warranty on a seven year old car with 40K miles cant be cheap (but probably not a bad deal if you have a major issue).

BTW, very nice user name. The Naja (Spitting Cobra genus) are exceptionally interesting snakes.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Sorry for stating the obvious but shop around for the extended warranty - that is different places may sell the extended warranty for different prices. And of course read the fine print on coverage. I was told the rule of thumb is the earlier (closer to production year) you buy and with lower miles, the cheaper the warranty is. An extended warranty on a seven year old car with 40K miles cant be cheap (but probably not a bad deal if you have a major issue).

BTW, very nice user name. The Naja (Spitting Cobra genus) are exceptionally interesting snakes.
Tim...when the time comes will you buy one?? The time is coming for me in April if I don't buy the car sooner.

I'm going to discuss with the Porsche tech next week. The price I got was $5,400 for platinum coverage for 6 years ....$60K. I'll have 18 months still on the factory warranty if I buy it next week.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM
spittingcobra
Advanced

Thanks all for the help. @Tcc1999 thanks :-)
Old 12-09-2012, 02:53 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Tim...when the time comes will you buy one?? The time is coming for me in April if I don't buy the car sooner.

I'm going to discuss with the Porsche tech next week. The price I got was $5,400 for platinum coverage for 6 years ....$60K. I'll have 18 months still on the factory warranty if I buy it next week.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
I finally bought my policy last week as my warranty expires 12/31/2012. Had Fidelity on my -06 and was on my way to do that again but stumbled across a Lexus backed policy that looks identical to Fidelity's platinum policy at almost half the cost. With no deductible. I got 4 years and 50,000 miles with no deductible for $3,400. Very short list of exclusions.

I bought it from a Jaguar/Maserati dealership and talked to the service manager about his experiences with the Lexus program vs. Fidelity. He said both are good but Lexus is easier for them to deal with since they rarely send reps out to inspect and approve. Done with a phone call instead.

Quick Reply: Seeking advice