Sponsored by:

iPhone 5 freezing up PCM

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default iPhone 5 freezing up PCM

My 997.2 has the PCM freezes up when I get in the car with my phone on.
i use the phone through bluetooth to make calls and have an iPod plugged into the port that works perfectly up until I got the new phone for music. If I get in the car with the phone off there is no problem. Phone "on" the playlists won't load up , can't change volume or make calls - its just frozen with a black screen. Turn off IPhone and PCM immediately unfreezes.. Eventually If I have enough patience the PCM unfreezes on its own even with the phone on - but that gales several minutes.
Suggestions???
Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Is your iPhone 5 plugged in through the UAI or is it just in the car conected through BT. I have an iPhone 5 and it connects fine to PCM for phone calls. I have a separate iPod permanently connected through UAI for music. No issues here. Siri even works through the handsfree. Although its not perfect.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Sounds we have exact same set up ... maybe there is something wrong with my PCM. Phone is just bt... When it's not frozen Siri is pretty awesome. It's like the night rider car " Kit" that talked to its owner....any one else having issues ?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a permanently installed thumb drive for music and am in and out of the car with my iphone 5 with no issues. I haven't tried Siri. Thanks for the tip!

If you decide that there is a problem with the pcm, good luck in getting a dealer to pay attention.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How do you bring up Siri in the car without picking up the phone or pushing the button? Is there a way to activate siri via bluetooth over the handsfree system?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Lurgee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use an iPhone 5 with bt and a thumbdrive for music and haven't had any issues. However, I've tried to connect the iPhone 5 through the UAI with a lightning adapter, but the PCM crashes...
Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
How do you bring up Siri in the car without picking up the phone or pushing the button? Is there a way to activate siri via bluetooth over the handsfree system?
You kind of piqued my curiosity so I looked it up. Apparently requires that you jailbreak your iPhone, and then install an app called Cydia which allows Siri to listen continuously for voice commands while hands free . Sounds pretty cool
Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No issues here with PCM freeze up. However I think siri happens to suck big time.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by ajayabb
You kind of piqued my curiosity so I looked it up. Apparently requires that you jailbreak your iPhone, and then install an app called Cydia which allows Siri to listen continuously for voice commands while hands free . Sounds pretty cool
Yeah... that sounds about right. I wonder if Apple will consider coming up with a setting we can turn off/on so when the phone is connected by bluetooth via handsfree profile, that it listens continuously and takes a command when we say "Siri, ...." Seems doable within the phone (since I doubt we would get Porsche to patch the voicecontrol system ...would be nice if we could use the car's voice control to say "Phone: siri, whats the score of the ..." and have the voice control then activate the phone's 'button'.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lurgee
I use an iPhone 5 with bt and a thumbdrive for music and haven't had any issues. However, I've tried to connect the iPhone 5 through the UAI with a lightning adapter, but the PCM crashes...
I thought I read somewhere that some of the signal lines from the iphone's old idock connector were dropped from the lighting connector. So even with the adapter, you won't get the signals that used to be there... and maybe the PCM is expecting/looking for those signals as well, and thats what is causing it grief.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

I'll try a thumb drive and see if that helps. I wonder how I can get my playlists to load from iTunes to a thumb drive ? I played with it some more ... And if I power off the phone ...the PCM screen for iPod control immediately pops up as soon as phone shuts down... So it's definitely the phone causing the interference. Hope someone at Porsche is working on a fix
Old 12-08-2012, 03:11 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

I doubt the thumb drive will solve the problem. You aren't trying to physically connect the iPhone 5 through UAI. That may be problematic. Connecting it through BT should be fine. Works for me. iPod at the same time for music through UAI is perfect too. I'd take it into the dealer.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 PM
blee321
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayabb
This is great, except still waiting on the iPhone 5 JB! can't wait

B
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Id consult the dealer. I just used my 5 through the ua with adapter for a long ride today no problems.

Quick Reply: iPhone 5 freezing up PCM