Sponsored by:

Things I wish I knew about my 997 sooner

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:52 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Things I wish I knew about my 997 sooner

You can adjust your review mirrors while driving on the freeway such that you no longer have a blind spot. The mirror adjustment takes a while to used to... But now I love it. Really nice side effect of having the mirrors panned out that far is that you no longer get headlamps into your eyes while driving at night. Only bummer is I miss seeing my cars hips in my rear view mirror.

Adjusting my tire pressure to the lower pressures porsche recommends for single passenger capacity (not max capacity on the door frame) has made a huge improvement in the grip of the tires.

Instead of getting in and closing the car door and then starting it... I now leave my car door open while I start the engine ... Especially cold starts. The sound is amazing!
What
Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBPORSCHE
Adjusting my tire pressure to the lower pressures porsche recommends for single passenger capacity (not max capacity on the door frame) has made a huge improvement in the grip of the tires.
What do you do about the TPMS warning once you have let the pressure down?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:58 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

It can be set via controls on the stalk to the lower pressure range... This is critical to do otherwise you'll get a low tire pressure warning . It's in your instruction manual... It's as easy to do as asking it to check your oil level
Old 12-02-2012, 01:59 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be set via controls on the stalk to the lower pressure range... This is critical to do otherwise you'll get a low tire pressure warning . It's in your instruction manual... It's as easy to do as asking it to check your oil level
Sweet... now I have something I wish I had known sooner!

Thanks SB.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

997.2 has parking lights. When parked on a street at night, push signal arm up or down to illuminate outter rear and front light.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I am pretty sure that all Porsches have had this feature since at least 1970 as my first 914-6 had this and all 6 of the other Porsches I have had since then have them too. It's a european parking light to help other cars pass by on narrow streets when you are parked, without hitting you.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:31 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
997.2 has parking lights. When parked on a street at night, push signal arm up or down to illuminate outter rear and front light.
My 1971 911T had that too - it's a common feature on Euro cars and Porsche has had them for many, many years.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:04 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

You can adjust your review mirrors while driving on the freeway such that you no longer have a blind spot. The mirror adjustment takes a while to used to... But now I love it. Really nice side effect of having the mirrors panned out that far is that you no longer get headlamps into your eyes while driving at night. Only bummer is I miss seeing my cars hips in my rear view mirror.

Instead of getting in and closing the car door and then starting it... I now leave my car door open while I start the engine ... Especially cold starts. The sound is amazing!
What
Yes...+1 on the sound at starting...there's a new home being built across the street from my house. The crew working there appear to appreciate that sound too. Whenever I start the car and back out of the garage I always see several of them looking, nodding and displaying a thumbs-up as I drive away.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

What
Friend in the UK bought/sent my convex driver's side mirror.

I use an "extra" seat memory button to tilt my mirrors down a tad for night driving.....
Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by cairo94507
I am pretty sure that all Porsches have had this feature since at least 1970 as my first 914-6 had this and all 6 of the other Porsches I have had since then have them too. It's a european parking light to help other cars pass by on narrow streets when you are parked, without hitting you.
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
My 1971 911T had that too - it's a common feature on Euro cars and Porsche has had them for many, many years.
Yup it sure is a great little feature that I stumbled upon one evening.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Yup it sure is a great little feature that I stumbled upon one evening.
Yep. I knew about it but was reminded one day when I turned into a parking lot and then a parking space without the steering wheel centering..... thus the signal light stayed on long enough to scare me that the car might not start when I returned to the car a few hours later.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

The hook on the back of the seats snags the loop at the top of suit jackets and sports coats perfectly.
Interior dome lights turn on if tilted to right ( manual on ). Centered is on when car is unlocked. Left never turns on. So depending on lighting preference when entering at night can have any combination of the three lights turn on.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the max door jamb and the lower recommended tire pressures you refer to? I'd like to compare that to my 996 manual... thx
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Farside
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also never start my car with a closed door !

Quick Reply: Things I wish I knew about my 997 sooner