Sponsored by:

Dead battery - the good, bad and outrageous

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
Can our cars with manual transmissions be push started safely, the old fashion way, pop the clutch in 2nd while someone pushes the car?
Check your manual - I guess you could try but...
Do not try to start the car by pushing or towing. Damage to the catalytic converters and other components of the car may result.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
That may be the reason. I bought a battery tender the first winter I had the car (2008) and used it every winter since. I also take the car out any dry day I can when temps are above freezing.

Still have the original clutch too, 81K and counting.

Gene
Think the worst part of your deal was jumping out of you 911 in traffic to push it. I'm sure many less fortunate were amused as hell to see a Porsche guy pushing his car as they passed by in their Yugo's.

As for the clutch, realize you just gave it the kiss of death by mentioning it. 81K is amazing for a clutch. That has to be the longest one I've heard of?

Glad it all worked out for you though.......
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Originally Posted by Para82
I bought 6 tickets today for the 550 million..
You threw your money away, I won

Good Luck! We should have put together a massive pool to win that thing. I hope someone on here wins and is generous to the rest of us. Maybe a few years of membership, wink wink.......
Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by gvcap10
Think the worst part of your deal was jumping out of you 911 in traffic to push it. I'm sure many less fortunate were amused as hell to see a Porsche guy pushing his car as they passed by in their Yugo's.

As for the clutch, realize you just gave it the kiss of death by mentioning it. 81K is amazing for a clutch. That has to be the longest one I've heard of?

Glad it all worked out for you though.......
Yeah, I thought of that after I wrote it :-). I'm not superstitious though.

And you're right - worst part of the experience was the dead car in the middle of the road, needing a push with me half-in half-out holding the door open to get over. Not a sight many people see (and I hope to never again be the subject).

All's well now, she's sleeping soundly in the garage.

Gene
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
Yeah, I thought of that after I wrote it :-). I'm not superstitious though.

And you're right - worst part of the experience was the dead car in the middle of the road, needing a push with me half-in half-out holding the door open to get over. Not a sight many people see (and I hope to never again be the subject).

All's well now, she's sleeping soundly in the garage.

Gene
Glad she's safe and sound. I grew up in Beverly, right down the road. Moved away 19 years ago, but my whole family is still there. I actually had my FIRST wedding reception at the Country Club in North Andover. I can't remember the name of it.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:38 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Check your car insurance. Ours covers roadside, for stuff like above, and they respond usually via AAA service. That, plus I know the local flatbedder in these parts and have him in my phone list at all times - even my kids have that number glued to their manuals.

Bummer about Porsche roadside, but not surprised.
you guys offer insurance?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gvcap10
Glad she's safe and sound. I grew up in Beverly, right down the road. Moved away 19 years ago, but my whole family is still there. I actually had my FIRST wedding reception at the Country Club in North Andover. I can't remember the name of it.
I think there's only one in this town. It's actually called the (ready?) North Andover Country Club. Little 9-hole course off Great Pond Road, with some lake views. Nice place, though one's memories of it would entirely depend on what transpired that day - whether a great round of golf or not-so-great first nuptials.

Gene
Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

I just picked up my CPO Porsche 997 about 2 wks ago. Totally dead battery, couldn't even open the trunk with jumpers off my Grand Cherokee. I called 1800Porsche for a truck to the local dealer and one came in less than an hour. Battery was totally wasted but not covered under the warranty. Not a good way to start a relationship, but this is my eighth Porsche over the years so I guess I expect these things to happen.

Quick Reply: Dead battery - the good, bad and outrageous