Sponsored by:

Dead battery - the good, bad and outrageous

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead battery - the good, bad and outrageous

My 7-yr-old original battery decided to give up the electrochemical ghost when I absentmindedly stalled while following a school bus in local traffic the other day. Definitely my bad, but I had had the feeling it would have failed one of these days anyway. With winter approaching and a battery tender to mind it I figured I could wait till spring for replacement. Wrong. Worst part? That I had to get out in morning rush hour traffic and push my car to the curb. Smiles and beeps all around.

So I calmly called 1-800-PORSCHE for the first time. I also have an older Mercedes and their roadside assistance is free for basic things no matter what vintage your car is: some fuel, a jumpstart, minor repairs. I expected the same from Porsche, but to my surprise I was told it would be $119.95 - for a jump. I bit the bullet and agreed, and they took my CC info. Someone will be there in 60 minutes I was told.

75 minutes later, still no one showed. I called and was told they were stuck in traffic somewhere way south, about 30-40 minutes away. Where the heck do they get their contractors, from the next state? While I was waiting, a AAA guy drove by, slowed down and pulled over across the street looking for an address. I asked for a jump, which he graciously provided in about 30 seconds. I handed him $20 and all was right with the world. I called Porsche and complained and they credited the charge and gave a weak apology. Hmmm.

A quick trip to the dealer and I got an OEM replacement (Moll) for just under $200, factoring in their very customer-friendly 20% PCA member discount. Installed it myself with no issues. Now when I turn the key it's like the battery's been filled with Red Bull. Love it!

Verdicts: Dealer was helpful as usual, and a very fair price for the new battery. Super easy DIY install.

1-800-PORSCHE not so much. I don't think I will use them again. They were willing to tow me if needed, but I imagine that's extra $ on top of the $120 show-up fee. For that kind of one-time outlay I can get about 2 years of AAA membership. Any reason at all not to?

Gene
Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Had the same thing happen when my waterpump suddenly failed a few miles from home and was able to make it back safely. Called to set up and appt to have the car picked up the next morning before work and was asked if I would just "like to call back in the morning to set it up". In assuming that advanced notice would only be a positive in my favor, I declined and made the appt. The next morning, the promise time came and went. When I called to check on the status, I was informed that a "computer error" had caused the appt not to be sent to the local tow company, who were now changing shifts. An hour and a half later, the tow truck arrived... (p.s. I work for Porsche!)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Check your car insurance. Ours covers roadside, for stuff like above, and they respond usually via AAA service. That, plus I know the local flatbedder in these parts and have him in my phone list at all times - even my kids have that number glued to their manuals.

Bummer about Porsche roadside, but not surprised.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-22-2012, 12:28 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

As soon as I even get the inkling the battery is starting to show signs of age I replace it. Not worth getting tuck somewhere.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Wow you got 7 years out of your original battery. Whats your secret? You use a battery tender when not in use?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:18 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear what you wen through.
You can get a AAA membership for yourself for about $70/year or for your family for about $120 year. Covers any vehicle you are in whether it's yours or not. I like the peace of mind.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

You gotta be covered by some sort of road side assistance when your outta oem warranty,

You coulda bumped it if it was a stick, also the Audi batteries are same size, crank amps etc, but way cheaper.

Good Luck
Old 11-22-2012, 07:08 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

AAA is totally worth it. Having four cars, it has paid for itself over the years. Especially given a mild case of support such as your example of a simple jump start, AAA has always been there when I needed them.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

My 997 had me stuck in a parking lot on Tuesday. Battery completely dead. Target parking lot so went back in the store got some cables and had an employee try to jump it. Nothing no juice. Another employee called her husband who is a Honda service manager and told her a Porsche is stuck in the lot, he was over in 5 minutes. The guy is a big Porsche fan and cars in general. Gave me a lift to auto zone got a battery and helped me install it. That kind of help isn't too common nowadays. I told him if he ever needs a favor to call me!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

With CAA it covers you, which ever car your in.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by Para82
My 997 had me stuck in a parking lot on Tuesday. Battery completely dead. Target parking lot so went back in the store got some cables and had an employee try to jump it. Nothing no juice. Another employee called her husband who is a Honda service manager and told her a Porsche is stuck in the lot, he was over in 5 minutes. The guy is a big Porsche fan and cars in general. Gave me a lift to auto zone got a battery and helped me install it. That kind of help isn't too common nowadays. I told him if he ever needs a favor to call me!
Your lucky day Para,
Hope you went out and bought a lotto ticket !
Old 11-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fskof
Wow you got 7 years out of your original battery. Whats your secret? You use a battery tender when not in use?
That may be the reason. I bought a battery tender the first winter I had the car (2008) and used it every winter since. I also take the car out any dry day I can when temps are above freezing.

Still have the original clutch too, 81K and counting.

Gene
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Your lucky day Para,
Hope you went out and bought a lotto ticket !
I bought 6 tickets today for the 550 million..
Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Don't forget your Northern friends if yer strike gold......good luck !
Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can our cars with manual transmissions be push started safely, the old fashion way, pop the clutch in 2nd while someone pushes the car?

Quick Reply: Dead battery - the good, bad and outrageous