Sponsored by:

Engine Break In from Someone Who Knows

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Funny thing about perspective. Read something from me on the web and you're getting advice off of the Internet. Need for skepticism. Most probably.

From my perspective, the information I posted I received from a colleague in the business of remanufacturing and testing engines that I've have known for over 20 years, who has been in the business for nearly 30 years. Am I skeptical? Not in the least.

The purpose of my post was to give everyone something to think about and consider. I really don't care how any of you break in your engines. But I just can't get off the fact that in 1993 the good folks at Porsche AG in Zuffenhausen suggested 500 mile protocol, and in 20 years later are advising a 2000 mile protocol. From an engineer's perspective it just didn't add up.

Here's a little factoid thank might have you scratching you head. The oil change interval in large mining trucks had always been 500 hours of operation. This cost quite a bit in downtime (lost production) and created a problem regarding the environmentally safe disposal for all that dirty oil. A device was introduced that would meter filtered engine oil in the fuel return line to the fuel tank. This oil slightly diluted the fuel and was burned in the engine. Oil sample readings would reach an equilibrium as new oil was added each day in the topping off procedure. By running this cleaner, fresher oil, the change interval was extended to 4000 hours and the number of oil changes was reduced from 8 to 1. The filters were still changed every 500 hours.

So the next time you're worried about your "high" oil consumption, you may actually de doing the environment a favor.
Are you sure those were 4 cycle Diesels? For example, old Detroit Diesel 2 cycle Diesels had separate crankcase oil that was not exposed to the combustion. Oil did need to be fed into and consumed in the cumbustion chamber ( just like a 2 cycle gas engine). Those engines had something like a claimed 150K mile oil change schedule. I can see where someone would/could feed the crankcase oil into the combustion chamber oil and replenish the crankcase continuoiusly.

Such a setup is irrelevant to this discussion, however.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerg
There is some good information here, and good arguments supporting the various points of view. That said, I can, and will post here, for all the world to see, and will stand atop a table in any bar from here to Deutschland and proclaim loudly that a car salesman will never tell a prospect to slow down fer God's sake during a test drive in order to adhere to a car's break-in procedures. In addition, if you purchase such a car, it is called a "demonstrator", and everyone knows, or should, that it is ragged on by tire kickers, the dealership owner's son on prom night, and the sales manager out for hookers and blow. Please do not base your break-in procedure philosophy on the fact your car salesman allows you to on a test drive. Really????
Well put....
Old 11-22-2012, 08:14 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Are you sure those were 4 cycle Diesels? For example, old Detroit Diesel 2 cycle Diesels had separate crankcase oil that was not exposed to the combustion. Oil did need to be fed into and consumed in the cumbustion chamber ( just like a 2 cycle gas engine). Those engines had something like a claimed 150K mile oil change schedule. I can see where someone would/could feed the crankcase oil into the combustion chamber oil and replenish the crankcase continuoiusly.

Such a setup is irrelevant to this discussion, however.
Yep 4 cycle diesels. Latest approach.

http://www.reservesystems.net/Reserv...nformation.pdf

Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-02-2012, 01:15 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Late to the thread but I would like to thank the OP Fred, and especially kmac for providing this link http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm to what I now feel is easily the most compelling explanation of why the accepted wisdom is well overdue for revision, as well as why and how to do it right. Highly recommended reading. Equally so the follow-up Part 2 http://www.mototuneusa.com/power_new...horsepower.htm (scroll down a bit) which delves more deeply into the subject and even offers some highly credible clear-thinking ideas as to why manufacturers would recommend ineffective and even harmful break-in advice. Not going to try and summarize, people really need to read it for themselves.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

The break in guidelines do not require the engine be babied. This is an interpretation that owners arrive at on their own.

Primarly the restriction is to limit rpms to below a certain level.

A new engine has considerable friction (even a broken in engine has considerable friction) and this friction generates heat. Above a certain rpm the heat generated may be more than is safe for the engine in certain areas.

But an up to operating temp engine can certainly be given some throttle, some load which is beneficial to a proper break in.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I can tell you haven't read the Motoman articles linked above. Anyone who does will quickly spot the flawed reasoning. In fact there are a whole series of articles, absolutely fascinating- at least that is if cognitive dissonance doesn't prevent one from understanding. He covers that too! Seriously, read this stuff. If and when I am ever fortunate enough to be breaking in a new 991, the minute it reaches operating temp it will be driven like I stole it. The full 5 Part series is chock full of more details and clear credible evidence than I ever thought possible. http://www.mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

Quick Reply: Engine Break In from Someone Who Knows