Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ferrari or GTS? Help bring me back to the Pcar fold.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
smokestack20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fred,

Agreed.... That goes with any car I own. If its Valet only..... I keep driving!
Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

I would think just from a maintenance cost if you are looking for a real drivers car, then the decision would be considerably easier. I have always loved the look of Ferrari cars, but in doing some research I can not believe how expensive they are to maintain. I am not saying that the Porsche is bullet proof or anything but they do not seem to require quite as much as some of the Ferrari's that I have seen bills on.

The really funny part is that when I chat with F-owners and make mention of this, they always seem to say the same thing. "It's a Ferrari, what do you expect?" Well to be honest I guess I am not sure, but spending $15,000 a year for normal maintenance is not real high on my to do list. I am sure that there are exceptions to this number, but I think you get the idea. It really made it a lot easier for me to understand why there are a lot of Ferrari owners that barely ever drive their cars.

Just my thoughts.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I spent time on the Fcar and AM ledges. I agree with the other posts but what swayed me also was those owners do not drive there cars.
Like dating Fergie but ... once a month instead of as often as possible.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

Originally Posted by GBoxguys
I would think just from a maintenance cost if you are looking for a real drivers car, then the decision would be considerably easier. I have always loved the look of Ferrari cars, but in doing some research I can not believe how expensive they are to maintain. I am not saying that the Porsche is bullet proof or anything but they do not seem to require quite as much as some of the Ferrari's that I have seen bills on.

The really funny part is that when I chat with F-owners and make mention of this, they always seem to say the same thing. "It's a Ferrari, what do you expect?" Well to be honest I guess I am not sure, but spending $15,000 a year for normal maintenance is not real high on my to do list. I am sure that there are exceptions to this number, but I think you get the idea. It really made it a lot easier for me to understand why there are a lot of Ferrari owners that barely ever drive their cars.

Just my thoughts.

$15k per year is WAY over what anyone can expect by a large margin. Internet gossip like this is what causes people not as much in-the-know to think this is true. However, costs of maintenance is really high, particularily on pre- 360's and pre 550's.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chaos
I spent time on the Fcar and AM ledges. I agree with the other posts but what swayed me also was those owners do not drive there cars.
Like dating Fergie but ... once a month instead of as often as possible.
There are several reasons that these cars don't get driven much. First of all most Ferrari owners have multiple cars. You can only put so many miles on each car in a year especially if you have 5 or 6 vehicles. Secondly, if you live in a cold weather climate they have to be stored for 4 or more months a year. There's no drving a 430, 458, 599 in the snow (the FF was designed for that but it is a new, and controversial, model). Third many who are able to get allocations flip to a newer F car within a years time simply because they can. Unlike Porsche, Ferrari sells their entire production run. If you want a new 458 spider e.g., you will 1) have to have previously bought a new car from the local authorized dealer then 2) be prepared to wait for 2 - 3 years. Although Ferrari discourages selling NEW cars over MSRP there is no regulation, limit as to how much a used car can sell for. Therefore if you don't want to wait for your car you can buy a USED one off the dealer's lot for MSRP (or even higher depending on the desirability of the model).
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by 98Boxster
$15k per year is WAY over what anyone can expect by a large margin. Internet gossip like this is what causes people not as much in-the-know to think this is true. However, costs of maintenance is really high, particularily on pre- 360's and pre 550's.

Some of the older models (like the BB5 and TR) require engine out service or have expensive maintanence issues like belts instead of chains (360), modern Ferraris (430 and later) just require yearly fluid changes and that's it. In fact the E-diff and transmission fluid changes are every other year and the others are done on a yearly basis.

BTW new Ferarri's come with 7 year FREE maintanence. So if this is your concern for not getting one then you're going to need to come up with another rationalization (poor gas milage e.g.)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I have four plus my wifes and I put 45,000mi on my 996. That # destroys resale on AM and Fcars.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Went down to the Porsche dealer today, trade title in hand and ready to buy. They sold 'my' GTS yesterday! Ouch. Good news is, there are a handful of others around the country.

Looking for and must have:

New or used
White/black GTS cab
PDK
Sport chrono
Sirius/XM
All other options considered

Boo, 458 coupes can now be ordered by anyone and the wait is about 10 months.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by MarkPcar
Boo, 458 coupes can now be ordered by anyone and the wait is about 10 months.
Mark, I said spider not coupe. The spider is the retractable hardtop version.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oops, my bad.

Originally Posted by boolala
Mark, I said spider not coupe. The spider is the retractable hardtop version.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:28 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by smokestack20
Fred,

Agreed.... That goes with any car I own. If its Valet only..... I keep driving!
Unless it's a place that is so high end they deal in exotics all day long, I hand the valet a twenty and ask him to "leave it right up here if you can." Said with a smile, they either leave it literally right where I get out, or they say "We'll take good care of it" and they move it thirty feet down the curb to keep it away from new arrivals.

In those places that are used to exotics, like Four Seasons, I don't need to coach them. I just hand them a twenty and smile: "Take good care of it please." Those places have a special lot reserved for the big five: Astons, Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, and McLarens. Or at least for such cars whose owners understand the cost of parking them.

The real secret of course is being friendly. I used to do that sort of work and a friendly smile and a quick chat about the car's nature go further than the size of the tip as long as you do tip up front. You can learn things also. I picked up a good story about Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe that way. The idea that you'll tip when you pick up the car and see how it's been treated is pretty much a guarantee it won't be treated as well as mine.

And, in case you wondered, I also hand the guy a five who brings it up for me when I go somewhere. By the end of the first day, I'm known as "that nice Mr Sims" for my conversation, and also as the guy for whom valets hurry to be the one who brings up his car. The car and I both have a good stay at that hotel.

Nothing like an open friendly smile attached to an open friendly wallet to get good service. On the other hand, don't try tipping a hundred with a scowl. Almost certain way to find a used condom in your car...

Gary
Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Not knowing your finances......

1- if you have the money for a Ferrari and it really moves you to own one then that is what you should get. It would be fun and a great weekend car to own.

2- if you are pushing it to afford to buy the Ferrari and are worried about maintenance cost then the Porsche GTS would be a safer car to own and you might just feel more relaxed in your life.

I have a GTS w/ PDK and Sport PASM. It has 11k+ miles and well over half of them are on the track. Besides many oil changes, brake fluid changes and rotors and pads all as track maintenance which I do most all this myself my GTS has never been back to a Porsche dealer for any issues. Same with the 2009 Carrera S PDK I owned. Just very solid engineer cars and PDK is very stout no issues at all.
+1... if you can afford the Ferrari without stretching yourself, then do it, if not, GTS is a fantastic alternative!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

OK, don't tell anyone at Fchat that I'm back over here on Rennlist

After owning a zillion Porsches - 356's, early 911's, SC's, 996 GT3, 997.1 GT3 RS, Cup Car, Spec Boxster, etc., etc., I've been away from the Porsche world for a couple of years. Splitting road time between a 550i, a Grand Cherokee and a '63 XKE Roadster.

I decided it is time to bring a more modern sports car back in the garage (the 550i is leaving). Having admired the F cars and never owned one, I started researching, shopping and driving. Long story short, I've driven them all - 430 Spyder, 599, California and the 458 coupe. All great cars, racy, fast, beautiful.

Then, I stumbled on a white/black GTS Cab (favorite colors). I'd never driven a PDK car before and hadn't even heard about the GTS. I took it for a spirited drive and I was really impressed. Fun, easy to drive and a little more civilized than the F cars (except maybe the California).

I was close to a deal on a 430 Spider, but I just can't get over the price thing. A low miles 2012 GTS Cab, with warranty vs. a low miles 2006 430 Spider, no warranty. The 430 Spider is $50-$60k more money, the California and 599 are a $100k+ more and the 458 is $170k more.

Ferrari's are, well, Ferrari's. But, I'm not in it for the ego, the street racer, the track or the garage trophy. So why? And, if I put miles on it the resale value drops like a rock.

I just want a fun, reasonably quick sports car that won't be too hard on my back (no GT3's). Now that I'm in Arizona I've been thinking about a convertible. But I've always owned coupes in Porsche's. Any thoughts between a GTS coupe and cab?

Sorry, I'm rambling. Thanks for listening to my self induced therapy session.
Why not go with 991 S cab? Seems to have a bit of Ferrari styling and very upscale interior. It has Pcar practicality and is quick as hell.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmm, that's a thought....

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Why not go with 991 S cab? Seems to have a bit of Ferrari styling and very upscale interior. It has Pcar practicality and is quick as hell.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmm, that's a thought....
Worked for me...

Quick Reply: Ferrari or GTS? Help bring me back to the Pcar fold.