Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ferrari or GTS? Help bring me back to the Pcar fold.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:22 AM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrari or GTS? Help bring me back to the Pcar fold.

OK, don't tell anyone at Fchat that I'm back over here on Rennlist

After owning a zillion Porsches - 356's, early 911's, SC's, 996 GT3, 997.1 GT3 RS, Cup Car, Spec Boxster, etc., etc., I've been away from the Porsche world for a couple of years. Splitting road time between a 550i, a Grand Cherokee and a '63 XKE Roadster.

I decided it is time to bring a more modern sports car back in the garage (the 550i is leaving). Having admired the F cars and never owned one, I started researching, shopping and driving. Long story short, I've driven them all - 430 Spyder, 599, California and the 458 coupe. All great cars, racy, fast, beautiful.

Then, I stumbled on a white/black GTS Cab (favorite colors). I'd never driven a PDK car before and hadn't even heard about the GTS. I took it for a spirited drive and I was really impressed. Fun, easy to drive and a little more civilized than the F cars (except maybe the California).

I was close to a deal on a 430 Spider, but I just can't get over the price thing. A low miles 2012 GTS Cab, with warranty vs. a low miles 2006 430 Spider, no warranty. The 430 Spider is $50-$60k more money, the California and 599 are a $100k+ more and the 458 is $170k more.

Ferrari's are, well, Ferrari's. But, I'm not in it for the ego, the street racer, the track or the garage trophy. So why? And, if I put miles on it the resale value drops like a rock.

I just want a fun, reasonably quick sports car that won't be too hard on my back (no GT3's). Now that I'm in Arizona I've been thinking about a convertible. But I've always owned coupes in Porsche's. Any thoughts between a GTS coupe and cab?

Sorry, I'm rambling. Thanks for listening to my self induced therapy session.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

I traded my "Bucket List" F430 for a 2012 GTS. Only regret is that I miss the sound of the flat plane V8 ripping to the redline. I don't miss the limited useability, the spotty engineering, or the insane parts pricing.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

My buddy just went from PCar to Ferrari, that lasted 4 months, the other day he said "Tarek, help me find a 997.2S, i felt like a Douche Bag driving that ferrari, i need a drivers car"
Old 11-04-2012, 01:48 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Well.....Ferraris are Ferraris and that is in a league by itself and IMO a different type of sports car. Not better or worse; just different.

If you really want a Ferrari then you won't be happy with the GTS and $50-$100K savings for something you don't really want is an expensive way to go and you'll be mad at yourself over the long run and probably wind up buying the Ferrari eventually so that would be a very expensive way to go.

Me....I love Porsches and I live in snow country so I need the 4 wheel drive and I'm not interested in buying a car that I can't drive everyday but those are my needs and Ferrari, as nice as it is, doesn't meet them.

Now cabs are my thing though. I'd never own a coupe....NEVER. I love the top down on a nice day and I love the look of the ragtop as well....up or down. I'm an old English sports car guy who had Triumphs and MGs and even a Fiat back in the day so a coupe holds no interest for me.

Those 430s are sweet though!!

Good Luck.....nice problem to have!!

Tom
Old 11-04-2012, 02:49 AM
smokestack20
Instructor

Maybe this will help!

I also own a E-Type (XKE) that I had fully restored 19 years ago. I thought about showing the car etc. but realized that just wasn't me .... so I just decided to drive it!! (it was the right decision)

Fast forward 4-5 years later, like most of us idiots I figure the Jaguar needs a stable mate.

Being on Rennlist.... I hesitate to admit that I looked first at Ferrari. Almost bought a Testarossa then years later almost pulled the trigger on a 360 spider.

Another confession: Porsche was never on my radar. ouch! However I took note when the 997 came out.

Bottom Line: March of 2011 I found a very nice 997 C2S Cab, test drove it, and bought it on the spot!
I'll never claim to be the final word on car comparisons, but for me the Porsche was the superior car. (to the cars I test drove) To be fair I hadn't driven some of Ferraris newer offerings primarily due to price $$$$.

Well, it took alot of years but the E-Type has a stable mate. And for the same reason it was a good decision just to drive the Jag 19 years ago... I have no regrets chosing Porsche. Its been trouble free and a blast to drive. I have no problem racking up miles on the 997 where I might have been a little more hesitant with the F-car.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by smokestack20
Maybe this will help!

I also own a E-Type (XKE) that I had fully restored 19 years ago. I thought about showing the car etc. but realized that just wasn't me .... so I just decided to drive it!! (it was the right decision)

Fast forward 4-5 years later, like most of us idiots I figure the Jaguar needs a stable mate.

Being on Rennlist.... I hesitate to admit that I looked first at Ferrari. Almost bought a Testarossa then years later almost pulled the trigger on a 360 spider.

Another confession: Porsche was never on my radar. ouch! However I took note when the 997 came out.

Bottom Line: March of 2011 I found a very nice 997 C2S Cab, test drove it, and bought it on the spot!
I'll never claim to be the final word on car comparisons, but for me the Porsche was the superior car. (to the cars I test drove) To be fair I hadn't driven some of Ferraris newer offerings primarily due to price $$$$.

Well, it took alot of years but the E-Type has a stable mate. And for the same reason it was a good decision just to drive the Jag 19 years ago... I have no regrets chosing Porsche. Its been trouble free and a blast to drive. I have no problem racking up miles on the 997 where I might have been a little more hesitant with the F-car.
Let's see some pics of the Jag............please!

Tom
Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you looked into the new SL by MB? not as exotic, but very cool
Old 11-04-2012, 08:56 AM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks all. 'Bucket List' is the perfect description for how I think about a Ferrari. I don't have the emotional attachment to the brand, even though I admire the performance and styling.

10-20% more in price, then it's a no brainer, give it a try. But, I can't get to the 50-100%+ premium.

I think I would be very happy in the GTS and it will probably suit my usage needs better.

Just need to decide about a Cab.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Mark
I own a GTS coupe and struggled with your same delema. I live in the Pacific Northwest and felt the weather was more conducive to a coupe. I miss the warm evening drives that I once had in my 356 and Targa but that was when I lived in Cal. What I have now learned is that I don't drive my car in bad weather and on nice days I would love to have the top down. |It looks like you are in Arizona and that presents a different problem one of too much heat. I found on my trip to this years Porsche Parade that all the cabs closed the top when the temp rose. I do a little DE track events and the coupe is a better choice if you plan to do it. Overall I love the car, great for long road trips and miles of smiles.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Not knowing your finances......

1- if you have the money for a Ferrari and it really moves you to own one then that is what you should get. It would be fun and a great weekend car to own.

2- if you are pushing it to afford to buy the Ferrari and are worried about maintenance cost then the Porsche GTS would be a safer car to own and you might just feel more relaxed in your life.

I have a GTS w/ PDK and Sport PASM. It has 11k+ miles and well over half of them are on the track. Besides many oil changes, brake fluid changes and rotors and pads all as track maintenance which I do most all this myself my GTS has never been back to a Porsche dealer for any issues. Same with the 2009 Carrera S PDK I owned. Just very solid engineer cars and PDK is very stout no issues at all.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

I dont know your finances but I believe everyone should own a ferrari once in there lifetime. If the price is right buy the ferrari drive it for one year and sell it. You can always purchase a porsche. I'm not saying that the ferrari is better or worse its just different. I know a few people that have purchased ferrari's in the past and they always end up with a porsche in the garage.

Buy with your heart. If your heart says get the porsche then buy the porsche! You cant go wrong eitherway.

Any thoughts between a GTS coupe and cab? If your going to track it get the coupe otherwise get the cab. Dropping the top and reving that GTS with the sport exhaust will be very exciting!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkPcar
Thanks all. 'Bucket List' is the perfect description for how I think about a Ferrari. I don't have the emotional attachment to the brand, even though I admire the performance and styling.

10-20% more in price, then it's a no brainer, give it a try. But, I can't get to the 50-100%+ premium.

I think I would be very happy in the GTS and it will probably suit my usage needs better.

Just need to decide about a Cab.
Cab. 100%. With the GTS cab you are getting the final hurrah of 997.2 engineering with a drop top. I've gone from a coupe to a cab and love it. Everyday I reach for the switch and only get held back by rain. It's an incredible experience. If the car grabs you like it sounds like it's doing, then grab it. It sounds like this one fits the bill. And Porsches are definately daily drivers. Love 'em.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I had my eye on a 430 for years(gorgeous) but after seeing a few friends go thru the process of owning an f-car when they came into some money... then after a year switching to a p-car for maintenance and practical driving purposes(can't take it where mire mortals shop/dine) I decided to jump to the final conclusion(a p-car) w/o having to take a financially hit from the transition.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:26 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're fortunate to have this dilemma.
I have a friend that has a 430 and a Barchetta. I've ridden in both, and prefer the Barchetta for the cockpit room, and it's a rarer car than a 430. Even within the Ferrari brand you have substantial differences, such as the front or mid-engine platforms.
They're expensive to obtain and maintain, but if you're careful in your selection, you can avoid the more absurd major repair items.
I think it was Malcolm Forbes that said every man should own a V12 during his life, and if you have the means, then you should experience the F-car.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:21 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
My buddy just went from PCar to Ferrari, that lasted 4 months, the other day he said "Tarek, help me find a 997.2S, i felt like a Douche Bag driving that ferrari, i need a drivers car"
I felt the same way. I was real close to pulling the trigger on a 360 spyder about 5 years ago. My son was really pushing me to get it, but after thinking about it, I know I would not have felt great behind the wheel because Ferraris are just too much in your face.

I also have a hard time parking my cars anywhere now without looking hard and long for the ideal spot. I can just imagine what it would be like for me to try and leave a Ferrari parked somewhere!

Quick Reply: Ferrari or GTS? Help bring me back to the Pcar fold.