Sponsored by:

997.2 sound so unimpressive

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:12 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 997.2 sound so unimpressive

This is really one of my disappointments, specially at idle. So unimpressive. Totally not in sync with what the car is capable of. There is a post on a brother getting a new mustang, and i have to agree, these sound so much better. A friend of mine also has a stang and his also sound so much better than the pcar, a bit embarassed to start the car beside his. And his car cost so much less!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:51 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by slicky rick
This is really one of my disappointments, specially at idle. So unimpressive. Totally not in sync with what the car is capable of. There is a post on a brother getting a new mustang, and i have to agree, these sound so much better. A friend of mine also has a stang and his also sound so much better than the pcar, a bit embarassed to start the car beside his. And his car cost so much less!
forgive me for saying so, but if the car no longer pleases you consider getting into something else......nothing like resenting an auto for it's shortcomings......
not to be rude or condenscending of course.......
then again, is modding the exhaust an easy task on our cars? delete something or consider an exhaust upgrade?

good luck with it
Old 11-01-2012, 08:01 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you're in a 997.2, eazy peazy....
Replace the center silencer with an X-pipe. About $900, and the car will sound like it should.
Or, go full Monte and get a Tubi, or one of the other aftermarket exhaust systems that replace the side mufflers, too.
The push rod V-8's will be drooling over your sound, although I must admit I love the sound of the Mustangs and Z06's.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Straniero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I share your disappointment. I've had mine for a week. It's a great car, but Porsche obviously don't care much about the acoustics. I drove an Audi RS4 with Xpipe until now, and it sounds dilicious. But the exhaust is in the end irrelevant, and most of it is show. This is not a farting game. You are eating those Mustangs alive.
I am planning on getting the Fister modification that most people seem to like. But even then, a flat six will never sound like a V8. It can't. Be glad you don't have a Turbo. They sound like a vacuum cleaner...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,099 Posts

I have the AWE mufflers + x-Pipe on my 997.2 and love the sound. Also have awe filters which gave just a hint more intake noise.

it's an easy fix.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually really like the sound of my Targa, and it's even better with the top open hehe...
but it's hard to compete with my AMG.....and it's only stock...
Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

This is ridiculous! I can close my eyes and each time I'll know there's a Porsche around me. That takes a lot of engineering. I can close my eyes and I'll never know whether there's a Corvette,Mustang or a Chevy Tahoe next to me. They all sounds like a misfiring tractor.
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (08-14-2022)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Dont get me wrong bros, i love my 997.2. Almost perfect for me. Just airing something that i hoped should have been part of the package. Of course as all have suggested its an easy fix, which i too agree. Tubi will be the direction i will go. Until someone suggests something better. Gundo seems like a economical way but i doubt i will get what im looking for.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

100% the weakest point of 997.2, the first time I drove one in Germany (before it came to NA) I was shocked how quiet it was compared to 997.1. I think PSE is a must-have for 997.2 and even yet it's still not up there... this is one area that 991 was definitely improved, while not so much elsewhere.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

What i really want to improve is the sound at idle to about 3k. I know the tubi is beautiful at wot and 3k above. I want to improve Especially the idling sound. Does the tubi improve on this or does it still sound like oem?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 735 Posts

Dont get me wrong bros, i love my 997.2. Almost perfect for me. Just airing something that i hoped should have been part of the package. Of course as all have suggested its an easy fix, which i too agree. Tubi will be the direction i will go. Until someone suggests something better. Gundo seems like a economical way but i doubt i will get what im looking for.
I've heard both and as usual you get what you pay for. The hack is a good value but like you said yourself, I doubt you'll get what you're looking for. Tubi isn't cheap but a lot of people still pay up for obvious reasons. Drastic change from stock and more lively than PSE imo.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9070506AAzc7Tu
Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Wish you could hear my FVD in person... anything else just would not do it justice. It's on the other end of the exhaust spectrum acoustically and I believe at least some of the p-populace would consider it obscenely loud and uncouth with it's gurgles, pops, blats, and board range of exhaust notes... I love it! Even my wife(a Lexus lady) has grown to appreciate it. BTW, WOT woke the dead for early voting last night. My car is still capable of quietly rumbling thru the neighborhood if I don't gas her so my neighbors have not run me off yet. Plus it helps that I pass out free beers to the adults during Halloween.

FVD(M&M) produces high quality exhaust systems for Porsche Motorsport... on the other end of inexpensive though. I agree with the OP... the stock exhaust is just too anemic for my taste. \http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...ps_4x90mm.html
Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was never impressed by the sound of my 997.1. I can see why people want to upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust. I understand the 997.2 is even worse in that regard. No wonder Porsche is now piping in engine and intake noises into the cabin.

I have the opposite problem with my F car. The engine and exhaust notes are so agressive that that even with light throttle at green lights everyone must think I want to race them. So much so that I consciously wait a short time after the light turns green to avoid these stoplight races. Just tonight a Merc (CL 65, I think) pulled up next to me and launched his car at great speed and with much fanfare at the green light. I was taken totally by surprise and started to accelerate. Although he had me beat by quite a bit and I started letting off the throttle he never did pull in front of me instead pulling up close to the car in front of him. I think that the sound of my engine/exhaust misled him into thinking that I was actually closer than I really was. LOL.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Gundo is a good viable option for 997.1 cars that don't have PSE, as there is no center silencer, and the gundo bypasses the side mufflers somewhat, enhancing the exhaust note.
Your car, 997.2, has a center silencer that 997.1's don't have, and you can start with replacing this with an X pipe, and you'll get a louder note.
I think the trend is 997.1 guys do the gundo hack, and 997.2 guys do the X pipe, for a cost effective exhaust note mod.
Two different exhaust systems, 2 different engines, 2 different strategies.
On a 997.2, you can still do the hack, if just doing the X pipe doesn't make it loud enough for you, or, do the entire cat-back system from whatever vendor you choose.

Quick Reply: 997.2 sound so unimpressive