Sponsored by:

997.2 sound so unimpressive

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:40 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
This is really one of my disappointments, specially at idle. So unimpressive. Totally not in sync with what the car is capable of. There is a post on a brother getting a new mustang, and i have to agree, these sound so much better. A friend of mine also has a stang and his also sound so much better than the pcar, a bit embarassed to start the car beside his. And his car cost so much less!
This thread is a put-on, isn't it? I mean, a Carrera owner with 'Stang' envy? We're being punked for Halloween, right?

Gary
Old 11-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by speedbagger
lol...the new mustang is a pretty nice package for the price.

would love to know what 'German tuned sound' is....wonder if its patented like harley's twin.
Don't forget that Porsche AG did the design work for the Harley's distinctive sound.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Don't forget that Porsche AG did the design work for the Harley's distinctive sound.
Whoa..pump your brakes a bit. Harley had their V twin sound before Dr. Porsche even designed his first VW. Porsche did work with HD ten years or so ago on their first water cooled engine, but they in no way created the "Harley sound".

Last edited by Fred R. C4S; 11-03-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-03-2012, 11:49 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
[...] I also said that piped-in acoustics trigger a psycho acoustic feeling of performance that is not really there, and hinted that some have reported being tired of it over time. And you are correct, other car lines are introducing the same feature (e.g., VW's Soundaktor), because it's easy to simulate virtual performance.
I understand Tony's reaction and others to stimulating engine sound in the cockpit, let alone simulating it as BMW and others are now doing. But let's recognize the real reasons. None of those design teams are the twits some of these comments imply. Yes, marketing at some companies may be asking for sounds the engine never could have produced now that the opportunity exists, but they didn't conceive this, the engineers did. And as I say, they aren't twits. Making an engine louder is something any shade-tree mechanic can accomplish. They weren't "stumped by the challenge" at Porsche. Or anything of the sort. Furthermore, even the 'simulated' sounds in a BMW are arguably the same ones they recorded for the same model in acoustic tests. And at Porsche, the sounds are the real thing, just piped past the acoustic barriers.

The challenge was a real one that the aftermarket can evade. At least for now. The law requires the cars to be quiet. Different degrees of quiet in different jurisdictions, but as a practical matter, the designers have been told to stop building different cars for different countries/states. So the design challenge is to produce good engine noises for the driver and passenger but not for bystanders. I don't know offhand how quiet the car must be at different rpm levels at different distances, but in places like Switzerland, the answer is very damned quiet at curbside.

So Marketing gives it funky names like "sound symposer" but the truth is the goal of so many owners is contrary to law for the engineers. They are not permitted to build a car whose sound will impress your buddies. Period. And odds are good that in some jurisdictions, we also won't be permitted to modify our exhausts after delivery for much longer. Cities like San Francisco and Berkeley come to mind.

That is what contrivances like "sound symposer" are all about. Satisfy the tests the law requires, while frustrating the law's intent. At least the owner gets to hear the sound of a fine engine. Win-win for law-constrained designers: you get to hear the Porsche engine at work, but people on the sidewalk do not.

Incidentally, as a fellow graduate engineer, Tony knows all these things. I just picked on a friend's post to quote so I wouldn't pick a fight with somebody. He'll just make me buy him a drink next time we meet to compare Porsches.

Gary
Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Sure, as Gary stated that's clearly why the Symposer exists. And the Symposer is actually done well and sounds great, unlike synthesized audio tracks others produce. I think it can also be turned off (a mechanical flap closes the acoustic channel) and people may actually do that after a while.

As all things, acoustic beauty is in the ear of the beholder. The 991 exhaust sounds fine, by itself - just open the window. Heck, My 997.2S climbing up to redline signs just fine to me too.

Quick Reply: 997.2 sound so unimpressive