Sponsored by:

My months old 997 taken by Sandy

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My months old 997 taken by Sandy

Picked my 07 S up after a long search back around may... had PSE installed this past Friday - was looking forward to that for a while as well. Got to put 15 miles on it with the PSE roaring and loved it..

Mon night I watched as the bay water rushed down my street (I live 4 big blocks away from the bay) and engulfed everything from my what I thought was safe spot on the porch. It was surreal and I cant come up with a better description than that on the 3 hours of sleep I had in the last 48 hours...

My 997 had water to its roof.. as the water was rising, the brake lights and horn came on and finally as a last goodbye the rear spoiler extended and retracted several time and "Waved" at me. My X5 had water to almost its brake lights but started with a big gush of water from its exhaust without much complaining... Im pretty sure its a gonner though as the dash board is a Christmas light display of error messages.

some practical questions as a side topic:

this was salt ocean water and it covered 100% of my basement.. I am getting very conflicted opinions as to the state of my mechanicals...

i have gas heat (big boiler) and a gas hot water heater. also have an AC air-handler down there - are any of these fixable?

had a washer/dryer/freezer - I assume those are now scrap metal

All my tools - electric and pneumatic (router, compound miter, drill press, compressor): should I assume those are all scrap as well?

I am told my insurance company that covers a significant number of neighbors is already denying claims bc this was a natural disaster flood and not a flood caused by a leaky mechanical system in the house. The hurricane insurance doesnt cover flood... anyhow need to wait for the adjuster at this point.
Attached Images    
Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Check your comprehensive coverage for the car - it may cover at least that. So sorry to see this - at least life and limb are OK.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, that is sucking like crazy!!!!! good luck in getting it resolved brother
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 AM
s329
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very sad to see this. I hope you find a way to recoup the financial loss.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:08 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fooking HATE insurance companies........I am currently without home owners this year......(pray)
I have been a home owner since 07 and have been paying over a grand a year for essntially nothing IMO......so this year I told them to eat me.......hope that doesn't come back to haunt me......

good luck PasPar2
Old 11-01-2012, 09:43 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of your flooding. I live in Maryland with friends and family in Delaware. The water has taken lots of property. As for your mechanical items; Brackish water and salt water corrodes quite bad. I'd assume anything electrical is toast. Any steel or other metals will surely have rust issues that will pop up as time goes on.

I know it is hard, but try to put the perspective that you and your family are safe at the top of the list of blessings. Other things are possessions and hopefully can be recovered or replaced. Best wishes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:50 AM
98Boxster
Instructor

My heart goes out too you. Hang in there. I'm so sorry to hear about your losses!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

I am really sorry for you! I'm in Ny area but was lucky,my P-car was fine in the garage. Unfortunately,this is how I've imagined insurance companies course of action in case something like this ever happened...giving you the cold shoulder.
Salt water is way worse than sweet water because it continues to eat away electrical components and metal(rust) long after it's gone.
With all my heart I hope you'll have this resolved one way or another!
Let us know the outcome...
Take care!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 AM
svt1
Intermediate

Sorry to hear about your situation, but at least you and your family are safe.

You may be able to apply for Federal Disaster relief? Try it if all else fails.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 AM
phily911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

First off, sorry to hear. We got a taste of Sandy but not nearly what the Jersey/NYC area was hit by. I have an office in CT and it just got power back today.

Anyway, I used to work for an insurance company. If they deny your claim(s) I recommend you get a lawyer and sue not only the insurance company but your insurance broker (the person that sold you the policies). More than likely they will settle with you but it might take time considering how many people are in your situation.

Who is your insurance provider? Your car should be covered under your comprehensive policy.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

OMG! Best wishes to you and your family that you come through this OK. I am so saddened to see so many people suffer this storm's wrath.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 471 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't even really know what to say.....I'm so sorry for your heartbreaking losses!

As I age I regrettably get to find out what "loss" is all about with my immediate family shrinking as the inevitable years roll by. I've had a blessed life no matter what happens now and as bad as things are, if you and your loved ones are O.K. then you truly did dodge a bullet. I know it's hard to see it that way now!

Tomorrow will come and will be better than today and so on and so on......until these terrible tragedies are a distant memory.

All the best of Luck in the coming days weeks and months!

Tom
Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 584 Posts

Holy crab dude. My feelings go out to you. Unbelievable.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

So sorry to hear this terrible news.
Best of luck with the insurance company.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

My sympathies on the property loss and I am glad that you and your family are all right.

Any electrical device that got salt water in it is toast. Perhaps not now, but soon. If you are able to collect any insurance payout, be aware that even if an HVAC or other system seems to have survived, its life has been drastically shortened by the salt water. Replace it now. If you are covered, replace any and all items that you even suspect of being soaked. You can't go back later and have stuff replaced. In fact, even if your BMW still runs fine, I doubt you'll be able to sell it to anyone if they suspect it was ever flooded--better to total it out now.

I am not surprised that insurance companies are denying flood claims. That's SOP for them and recently (post Katrina), I have noticed that agents are making it very clear that a natural flood/landslide/avalanche are not covered under a homeowner's policy--if for no other reason than to sell more flood policies. I imagine there are going to be alot of angry people in your area after they talk to their agents. We just changed all of our policies and I pored over alot of topo maps and flood zone maps before I made the decision to not get flood insurance.

Quick Reply: My months old 997 taken by Sandy