Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My months old 997 taken by Sandy

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wondered how many collectible and/or vintage cars and bikes, and cars like yours would be taken by the storm. It pains me to know that this happened to you, but it could have been worse. You are healthy, your loved ones are healthy, and although it may take a long time to recoup your loss, I suspect you will.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The horn going off, warning lights and rear spolier raising are symptoms of the rear control module getting wet. It's located under the driver's seat, so even in case of a fairly minor water leak inside the cabin, it's fried.

Unfortunately, I think you're right about your car being totaled due to salt water damage. It really sucks. Best of luck with your insurance company.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I don't even really know what to say.....I'm so sorry for your heartbreaking losses!

I've had a blessed life no matter what happens now and as bad as things are, if you and your loved ones are O.K. then you truly did dodge a bullet. I know it's hard to see it that way now!

Tomorrow will come and will be better than today and so on and so on......until these terrible tragedies are a distant memory.

All the best of Luck in the coming days weeks and months!

Tom
+ 1 for that. Perfectly worded.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:56 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

+2

So sorry for your loss and the damage that happened, glad to hear your okay though.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Terrible news.

My only experience with flooding was from years ago when my grandparents had flood waters come into the basement of their house. The car was parked on higher ground and not affected.

But everything in the basement that was under water, even partially, was scrap.

Heater (no A/C back then), spare fridge/freezer, washer/dryer and a number of electrical hand tools.

I do not know if the basement needed any cleaning. Flood waters can be quite foul with water from grazing land, manure ponds, oil and gas from underground tanks or flooded/damaged vehicles, raw sewage, and whatever the water comes in contact with that is not thrown away needs to be thoroughly cleaned.

Once everything is out of the basement it may need steam cleaning or some kind of cleaning to remove the smell causing remains of the flood waters.

There are businesses that deal in this kind of work and can advise you what is necessary.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The homeowners insurance companies don't cover damage from floods which is the result of your damage. That's why the federal government offers flood insurance. I have it for both of my houses even though both are not on flood plains. I figure it's just a precaution.

I'm not sure about your auto policy coverage for the car regarding flood damage.

I've had to deal with 3 hurricanes at my Florida house, I feel for your loss.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 311 Posts

So very, very sorry for everything all of you are going through. It is heart wrenching to loose a 'baby' (four wheeled or four legged!) - especially when you have looked forever for it. Hope insurance will reimburse and you can be out car hunting again soon!

Please keep us updated as to how things are going for you.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:43 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Glad you and family are okay.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:57 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well that sucks. I am sure your cars will be cover but your home will be a diffrent story. Rising water has not been covered under home owner for some 20+ years now. It is not very common for an insurance agent to recomend it in an area that does not flood that often. I think my flood insurance is like $300 a year but my home owners is over 2k. I live in Houston about 45 miles from the coast.
Fema might help if you can make it through all the red tape.
I wish you the best of luck and remember material items can be replaced.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am at the Delaware Shore, and I was so fearful that something like that was going to happen. My basement is dry only because my sump pump had been furiously working non-stop for 3 days now.

The amount of water this storm brought is absolutely mind-boggling. I haven never seen anything like Sandy.

Sorry for you loss, and best of luck in dealing with the insurance company. Sadly, what you wrote is true. Storm flooding of this nature is a pretty easy out for them. If you're not in a flood zone, that might offer you a little more hope in recovering your losses, but I'm not sure.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Very sorry about the lost to property and hope all is well with the family. Check with your auto carrier re vehicle flood damage coverage. My prior M3 had some flood damage many yrs ago and I was surprised to discover that our policy included such coverage... would have never thought that type of coverage would be necessary until it happened to me. BTW, my carrier is Allstate and they were very decent about the claim. As a note the carriers will typically total the car if any water enters the interior of your cab. With regards to tools... any non-electrical and/or non-gas operated tools should be salvageable. Start soaking them in a bucket of Apple Cider Vinegar and get back to them in a few weeks.

GL with the recovery and let us know if there is anything you need help with... As a side note we missed losing our home and vehicles to the Texas wild fires last year by a block thanks to our fire fighters and pure luck... And back in '75 we had to walk away from our home, vehicles, friends, pets, and country when we were evacuated during the fall of Saigon. A total lost... and I recall the conflicting emotions of tragic lost combined with the elation of escape with our life and limb in tact. With time we recovered wholly and those tragic times are now a distant memory. Again, I'm very saddened by your lost and hope all is well with the family. Best of luck with the recovery of property and let us know if you need anything... I have lots of tools, spare parts, etc and would be happy to send some your way on lone(tools) or to keep(spare parts).
Old 11-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh your house burned down?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:11 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

It is bad you did not disconnect battery. Car is totaled now, you can try to sell gearbox and motor to racers, but you have to disclose it was drowned in sea water. Fresh water would not be as bad, with salt car needs all new wiring, all ecus and chassis will corrode too, so, it is only as good as a donor for a race car, to strip it bare and put all new wires for engine only.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I most likely would not have disconnected the battery either, The car will be covered by the auto insurer. The other items such as home and appliances will vary based on what the insurers in the region decide is covered.

Yesterday while watching coverage on Sandy, I saw a white 997 Cab and a new 981 Boxster boxster totalled in the New Jersey area.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:34 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
I fooking HATE insurance companies........I am currently without home owners this year......(pray)
I have been a home owner since 07 and have been paying over a grand a year for essntially nothing IMO......so this year I told them to eat me.......hope that doesn't come back to haunt me......

good luck PasPar2
You must not have a mortgage then??

Quick Reply: My months old 997 taken by Sandy