You're looking for a date?
Gary
Are you kidding?? Who would date him?

Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I sometimes think the "privacy" issue is a convenient excuse. I bought a CPO car that the selling dealer originally sold. I wanted to ask the previous owner about the remnants of a K40 left behind (remote and Bluetooth device) and the NAV-TV unit. Dealer said they couldn't do it - my request was to give the previous owner my phone number and let him make the decision if he wanted to talk to me or not - dealer still said no.
There's always that possibility but some states have some pretty egregious privacy laws and dealers are loathe to run afoul of them.

Also, I like to consider what I would like or not like should the roles be reversed.

If I got a call out of the blue from someone claiming he got my name and phone number from a dealer and he's looking at a car I used to own and could I share with him what I know about the car's history I'd be a bit miffed at the dealer.

Now if the dealer called me and said there's someone looking at my car would I mind if the owner contacted me I might be agreeable to this.

OTOH, one of things I was seeking to avoid in trading the car in was to *avoid* interaction with potential buyers, so I might decline.

Then the dealer may be reluctant to put the buyer in contact with me not because the car's junk or has issues, but because I might by accident -- but there is the risk some previous owner might do it on purpose -- direct the buyer to another car.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Identifying an oil burning 997.2