Sponsored by:

Identifying an oil burning 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:47 AM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Identifying an oil burning 997.2

I'm looking for a 997.2 C2S and I'm a little paranoid about getting a great low mile car that someone's unloading because it's one of the (relatively rare) cars that burn oil. Obviously even a certified car wouldn't be of much help, since Porsche doesn't think it's a problem. Is there any way to tell if a car is using too much oil without driving it 1,000 miles?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:02 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

Hi KLS,

Welcome to Rennlist! Why do you care if your car burns a little oil? If you do some searching on this site, you'll find that many Porsches do this - with no ill effects. You just add some oil as needed and drive on! No big whoop...
Old 10-27-2012, 02:05 AM
KLS
Rennlist Member

I know - but being old, I associate an oil burner with a worn engine. Given a choice, I'd rather not have it use much.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:50 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these cars consume oil from what I understand.....my 07 had 30K miles when I brought it home.......
will probably need some soon, also depends on many things.....
I just put a Q in my AMG, which are also known to be oil drinkers.....

just the nature of the beast I guess........good luck
Old 10-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 2k miles on my most recent oil change and haven't added any oil yet. The last 5k oil change I had to add about 1/2 quart at 4k miles. My car burns very little oil and I drive it hard. Mobil 1.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

I personally wouldnt worry - PPI and DME should give you comfort. 997.2 is a great car.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I change my oil every 3K miles. No oil add required so far. I have to count my car the odd one in the lot with 54K miles on the clock. Perhaps if I left the same oil in for 12K miles like Porsche recommends then I'd notice the need to add oil... but I'm old school about maintenance plus I only put 5-6K miles on her per year. An oil change every 3-4 months is typical for all my vehicles.

One thing you should avoid is a car with smoke coming out of the driver side tailpipe. That's a potential indicator of a scored cylinder. The #4 cylinder in bank #2 gets the lease effective cooling and is the typical one affected if a car is abused... for example, not warmed up to operating temp before driven hard. A scored cylinder will leak oil and that is why you'll only notice smoke coming from the driver side pipes on start-up. BTW, bank #2 is actually on the passenger side but the exhaust pipes crossover so it's tailpipes come out on the driver side. GL with the search for a C2S... that's a fine machine to operate on the road.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Hi KLS,

Welcome to Rennlist! Why do you care if your car burns a little oil? If you do some searching on this site, you'll find that many Porsches do this - with no ill effects. You just add some oil as needed and drive on! No big whoop...
I guess that depends on your definition of a "little oil" is.

According to porsche, the car can burn 1 quart of oil in something like 365 miles and be completely within spec to them.

If you think thats "no big whoop", then you have much lower standards of acceptability than I do.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:56 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I guess that depends on your definition of a "little oil" is.

According to porsche, the car can burn 1 quart of oil in something like 365 miles and be completely within spec to them.

If you think thats "no big whoop", then you have much lower standards of acceptability than I do.
Spec is 1 quart every 600 miles. My '09 997.2 C2 burned .75 quart in 3500 miles. I'm quite pleased with this.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Default A personal view...

Having only had my 997.1 for a short time, but having done a great deal of research prior to making my purchase, it is apparent to me that 911 ownership is a very involved, ongoing process... whether that means for the owner personally, or in a symbiotic owner/shop relationship. Upon returning from my first long drive, (approximately 1,000 miles from Long Beach to Modesto, San Francisco and back, with some putting around the city), I checked the oil and found that my particular car uses 1/2 qt per 1,000. It is a high performance vehicle with a precision motor that has very tight tolerances. I personally like the level of involvement required to own and operate this car. I like being in tune with my car. I have had vehicles with which my involvement was minimal, both in the process of driving, as well as maintenance. I have to say that I much prefer the connection I have with this car over any car I have owned previously. There is no way to know from one 911 to another, just which one will use oil, and which one won't. For me, in the grand scheme, it is a small trade-off for the pleasure I receive.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Having only had my 997.1 for a short time, but having done a great deal of research prior to making my purchase, it is apparent to me that 911 ownership is a very involved, ongoing process... whether that means for the owner personally, or in a symbiotic owner/shop relationship. Upon returning from my first long drive, (approximately 1,000 miles from Long Beach to Modesto, San Francisco and back, with some putting around the city), I checked the oil and found that my particular car uses 1/2 qt per 1,000. It is a high performance vehicle with a precision motor that has very tight tolerances. I personally like the level of involvement required to own and operate this car. I like being in tune with my car. I have had vehicles with which my involvement was minimal, both in the process of driving, as well as maintenance. I have to say that I much prefer the connection I have with this car over any car I have owned previously. There is no way to know from one 911 to another, just which one will use oil, and which one won't. For me, in the grand scheme, it is a small trade-off for the pleasure I receive.
I agree - I actually look forward to changing my oil, and I am going to worry a bit less about it based on the responses here. My biggest concern is that if I get one that burns oil badly, I'll have it forever because I'm not going to lie about it, and telling someone it burns a quart every 500-1000 miles is likely to be a deal breaker. I think the lesson may be to be sure I get one I can live with for the foreseeable future.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:25 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Originally Posted by KLS
I agree - I actually look forward to changing my oil, and I am going to worry a bit less about it based on the responses here. My biggest concern is that if I get one that burns oil badly, I'll have it forever because I'm not going to lie about it, and telling someone it burns a quart every 500-1000 miles is likely to be a deal breaker. I think the lesson may be to be sure I get one I can live with for the foreseeable future.
I think that is a great approach for you, KLS! Now, go forth and find your automotive love!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm like you guys. I enjoy working on the car. I did the 3rd radiator, wheeled and polished, short shifter kit, brake bleed and a couple oil changes this year and enjoyed every minute.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

My 09 CS used about .5 qt per 2000 mi. At 10,000 mi. my GTS hasn't used any.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I personally think that Oil consumption may vary due to driving in sport + sports plus modes rather than D for drive. I have PDK and I usually drive it in Sport mode.

Quick Reply: Identifying an oil burning 997.2