Sponsored by:

997.1 Rust Locations

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 PM
etek5tech
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 997.1 Rust Locations

(STORY 1st) After months of searching (since Spring) I have found the exact car/options I have been searching for: Black/black/black 2006 Cab Sport optioned the way I want! It is a Certified car from CarMax, average milage (48K), and purchasing an extended warranty lasting 6 years, or additional 75,000 miles. HOWEVER, it is located in Tampa and I am in Jacksonville. Well, no problem, because I have put a buyer "hold" on the car, and for $49 can have it transferred to the CarMax dealer here in Jax, and can look at it. I did just that, and it should be here this Wednesday. Well if after I drive and inspect it I can buy it, the pictures supplied by CarMax make it look "unused" inside and out.

I just learned from the CarFax that it has lived its whole life in Illinois....snow and SALT! Ughhhh. I have from the time I buy the car 5 days to return it if I dont like it (ie I find RUST! another ughhhh) So this weekend I plan to pull both bumpers and hunt!

Any ideas on how and where I need to look to trouble spots other that obvious exterior edges and seams? Inside front trunk? What needs to get removed? I'm soure you all know what Im asking.....just not sure of the right questions.

Thank you! I wish I had pictures to post, but the car has not arrived yet as of noon today (Tuesday).
Old 10-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Rocco07
Racer

True it's location would question it's usage in poor weather. But at approximately 6.5k average miles per year, it appears it may have never seen foul weather or driving conditions. At normal daily driver usage, 12k per year, that car should have 84k on it.

Arguably, cars in the snow belt rarely have the mileage cars do that are located in better climates. We don't want to drive them in the bad stuff or expose them to corrosion. There may be more risk of rust in a Florida car near the coast than a midwest car.

Brian
Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Inspect the car and look underneath it. Just because it's from Illinois doesn't mean it has been driven in the Winter. More than likely it was stored like mine. Mine is from Chicago and there isn't a bit of corrosion or rust.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

The concern I had with Carmax when I was looking for a 911 last year is that they require you to purchase the car upfront before you're allowed to get a PPI which defeats the "pre" part of the pre-purchase-inspection. So it's a real roll of the dice with them... BTW, you have 7 days to return the car but what a PITA to just get the thing checked out properly by a reputable Indy. Also the $49 transfer is via an open car carrier which makes it another potential area for paint chip damage and again I believe you have to purchase it upfront to relocate it. It's also a dumping ground for cars with issues. You may get lucky with a nice example but you won't be able to tell until after you've purchased it and had a mech do a post-purchase-inspection.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you have a lot of bad rust memories from the 70'S and 80's.
When was the last time you saw rust on any modern car...a modern German Car ?

Throw away the Member's Only jacket and look around...it's 2012 and science has long ago found the cure for automotive rust...
Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Rust could also be from a past repair / accident ?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM
etek5tech
8th Gear

Thanks to everyone so far responding with great points to consider. I have found pictures from an email link CarMax sent me, that was generated by their system containing links to a page containing 43 pictures of the car. So while everyone above has been responding, I have been loading those pictures to my computer, and will attempt to post a few them below.....
Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  1.6 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  62.5 KB
Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 PM
etek5tech
8th Gear

Yes.....many rust memories from my high school car days in the mid 70's ... but I have also seen the horror pictures of may pre-996 bodies with alot of rust cancer! But this is the 21st century...just unsure when Porsche concentrated on prevention outside of normal coating and paint. Hoping this 2006, and infact all our Members 996 & 997's are not prone to road salts of the North!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by etek5tech
(STORY 1st)

I just learned from the CarFax that it has lived its whole life in Illinois....snow and SALT! Ughhhh. I have from the time I buy the car 5 days to return it if I dont like it (ie I find RUST! another ughhhh) So this weekend I plan to pull both bumpers and hunt!

Hey, thats my bankrupt State your talking about!!

To be honest, we don't get much snow in Illinois anymore and we don't see many Porsches in the snow. In fact, the real issue would be the sorry state of our roads. Depends on location and this is not limited to Illinois. My BMW (completely rust free) had a tie rod fail at just 50K. Likely due to potholes and rough pavement.

The prior owner of my 997 spotted a bit of rust developing about 5 inches ahead of the passenger side door sill. Sort of a spot of beginning rust (1/8 inch in size). Apparently water collects inside here and there may have been a scrape to get the rust going. Its been sanded and repainted. Just shows rust is possible, but not much of a concern.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I hate it when dealers put those stickers/emblems for advertising on their cars. I hope you can remove it without any paintwork required..
Old 10-23-2012, 07:29 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should watch the discovery channel documentary that shows exactly how 911's are built. They put the entire body into a primer bath so everything is coated electrostatically.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Jasper1
Advanced

I believe most manufacturers these days use galvanized steel which is extremely rust resistant. I've owned nothing but German cars since 1985 and since the 90's there's been extensive use of galvanized steel on car bodies. I would expect extensive use of galvanized steel on modern Porsches. On the other hand, I do have rusting and ugly lug bolts. BTW, I should know about rust...I once owned several Fiats
Old 10-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Jasper1
Advanced

Forgot to say. No evidence of any rust whatsoever in my '06 Carrera Cab...but it's spent its whole life in North Carolina. I did use to live in the Chicago suburbs in the 60's and early 70's and they were very heavy handed on salt during winter...just look at the roads!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

LOL I have a good feeling that Obama will be moving back to Illinois in January so hopefully he'll be able to help you guys get out of bankruptcy the same way he help General Motors stay out of bankruptcy??

Lived in Chicago (Naperville) for 10 years and you're right....not much snow. Plus, I didn't see Porsche's driving in the snow. Rush Hour and Porsche's don't go together. (Oh, when my property taxes went from $2200/year to $7800/year I decided to move.)

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Hey, thats my bankrupt State your talking about!!

To be honest, we don't get much snow in Illinois anymore and we don't see many Porsches in the snow. In fact, the real issue would be the sorry state of our roads. Depends on location and this is not limited to Illinois. My BMW (completely rust free) had a tie rod fail at just 50K. Likely due to potholes and rough pavement.

The prior owner of my 997 spotted a bit of rust developing about 5 inches ahead of the passenger side door sill. Sort of a spot of beginning rust (1/8 inch in size). Apparently water collects inside here and there may have been a scrape to get the rust going. Its been sanded and repainted. Just shows rust is possible, but not much of a concern.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Menmojo
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be more concerned about the car max sticker!
Do you have a detailed history of the car and service records? Ownership history?
I live in northern Illinois along the lake. I have 3 Porsches. None of them have ever seen snow.
I honestly don't remember ever seeing a 911 driving in the winter here.
After paying the outrageous tax bills to live in this bankrupt state I think most 911's in Illinois are owned by individuals that have another vehicle to drive when the weather turns nasty.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Rust Locations