Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991

Took my 2009 Carrera S in for new battery and I decided to sit in the new 991. While in the car the salesman came buy and stated he likes my car better. The angle of the seats seemed a little different and when I got out it felt like someone stabbed me in my lower spine with a hot knife and I almost passed out. The salesman looked concerned and asked if I was ok and gave me some Advil. I believe this was payback from my car for me sitting in the new 991 since today I am perfectly fine.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes indeed - they know when you stray!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:34 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

You and the salesman better keep dreaming...
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
You and the salesman better keep dreaming...
Why? I just bought a new 911 GTS cab and had the choice of getting a 991 - 911S. I preferred the 997.2 because it feels more visceral to me like a sports car should. Although I found the 991 to be comfortable, I felt too isolated from a sports car experience because it's too quiet and refined.

My second choice was a new Boxster S. I thought it was very capable and really fun.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
Why? I just bought a new 911 GTS cab and had the choice of getting a 991 - 911S. I preferred the 997.2 because it feels more visceral to me like a sports car should. Although I found the 991 to be comfortable, I felt too isolated from a sports car experience because it's too quiet and refined.

My second choice was a new Boxster S. I thought it was very capable and really fun.
' Visceral and more sports car like ' is a whole other topic and it's been discussed many many times with opinions on both sides. But to say you had back pain from sitting in the 991 and that the salesman considers the 997 is a better car is an exaggeration at least or the so called ' kiss a.. ' in the salesman's case.
Actually there's a well known and respected member here,Gary(simsgw),who probably has more experience with Porsche than all of us,that explained why he just ordered a 991. You should definitely check his thread :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-porsches.html

Maybe reading this ^^^ will make you understand why I'm doubting the OP's statement.

BTW,congrats on the GTS!!! Beautiful!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:59 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone's back is different. The Alcantara Sport Buckets in my GT3 gave me back pain from day one, until I figured out a proper seating position. Since the OP was just checking out the car and not driving it, he might have been slouching in the seat.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

' Visceral and more sports car like ' is a whole other topic and it's been discussed many many times with opinions on both sides. But to say you had back pain from sitting in the 991 and that the salesman considers the 997 is a better car is an exaggeration at least or the so called ' kiss a.. ' in the salesman's case.
Actually there's a well known and respected member here,Gary(simsgw),who probably has more experience with Porsche than all of us,that explained why he just ordered a 991. You should definitely check his thread :

Maybe reading this ^^^ will make you understand why I'm doubting the OP's statement.

Though several points were made, the gist of that post that I recall was the compression point on the spine pain issues and such and how the 991 was more comfortable.

I can understand that.

No offense to anyone with back problems but I think that many of us are intentionally avoiding a "sports car" that is more quiet and comfortable and great for the back, especially when such car is praised for comfort among the more... experienced folks out there.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wasn't a fan of the 991 interior until I sat in it. Suddenly it all made sense... Everything is very ergonomic and well-made. It'd be a nice place to spend time as a daily driver. Fortunately my "lowly" 997.1 S is a weekend-only car.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

I stopped by my dealer today and looked at a C2S cab.....doesn't appeal to me even a little bit....not inside....not outside....not the roof especially.

God....every time I see it I like it less. I even want to like it.

Tom
Old 10-20-2012, 10:17 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I stopped by my dealer today and looked at a C2S cab.....doesn't appeal to me even a little bit....not inside....not outside....not the roof especially.

God....every time I see it I like it less. I even want to like it.

Tom
Yep. I think it looks good from most angles of the front end but once you move to the rear....WTF. Haven't even made it inside because of that. Btw...seems like the dealership is where you have to go to actually look at one. I've seen one on the streets here since launched and this is a town littered with P-cars.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:12 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.

I can understand why he is looking for another car and why he likes the 991. Fortunately however, I don't have any physical issues to be concerned with at this point and I still prefer my sports cars on the raw side.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Yep. I think it looks good from most angles of the front end but once you move to the rear....WTF. Haven't even made it inside because of that. Btw...seems like the dealership is where you have to go to actually look at one. I've seen one on the streets here since launched and this is a town littered with P-cars.
I see next to none on the street...the salespeople tell me it's not selling either! No skin off my nose either way....I'm happy with the one I have!!!!!

Tom
Old 10-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I never said the 991 seat were more comfortable or that I was looking for one. All I stated ws that the angle that the 991 seats were in was different then my set up and getting out twisted my back. The 991 was more cramped to me.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times

I have the 997.2 and love it. And i haven't driven the 991 yet, but still a sports car I think. Nurburgring lap times for the 991S is better than the mkII Gt3 (not the rs), better than the current turboS, even the Italia at one point (it was retested and then achieved a better time). To be that fast, it probably needs to be refined to inspire confidence at those speeds. In the real world, I still miss my 996 which made me feel fast (especially with the PSE) but really average.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by 91469972
I never said the 991 seat were more comfortable or that I was looking for one. All I stated ws that the angle that the 991 seats were in was different then my set up and getting out twisted my back. The 991 was more cramped to me.
I know nothing of your experience, but I do know that proper back seat position, both for performance driving and spine support, is a slight tilt back from vertical. I see many people driving with tilted back seats - bad for driving and bad for spine support.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991