Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS intermittant failure - Porsche doesn't replace under warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:25 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
Here's something else to remember when swapping TPMS sensors...don't keep the old ones in the car when you are resetting the system.
I kept on getting a "flat tire" message as the system was learning, and I kept on trying to reset the TPMS.
Finally, the computer sent me a message, "there are too many sensors."
It didn't say there are too many sensors, "dumb ***", but that would have been appropriate , and I realized that the mechanic had put the old sensors in a bag on the floor, and the system was reading the older sensors.
Now that is pretty funny! You have to be on top of your game all the time when it comes to electronics. It's nice to know that Porsche actually thought of this and even included the 'too many sensors' warning!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Plan B then... there are various threads re TPMS replacements. Suncoast has a set for ~$440 or perhaps your GM friend would be willing to cut you a deal. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//TPMSensor.html
I have a set for less than half that. Please read the ad and check for compatibility.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9872410-post1.html
Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just go the same issues. One bad sensor is crashing the system. Ridiculous.
All are off by 2-3 PSI (lower than actual value) except the third one which gives no reading anymore and then the whole thing crashes.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TPMS system is able to determine , from 4 identical sensors, mounted just a few feet apart, exactly which individual wheel is sending the signal.
This experience has left me wondering just how do they do that ?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it a case of the sensor batteries having run their course? I'd have thought the batteries lasted longer than 4 years, but I don't know. If the batteries normally ran down in the sensors, then the sensors need replacing. Not really a warranty issue because they are a consumable item that is expected to need replacing.. so its not a product failure, but a product wearing out as expected.

Now if the warranty covers a service item as well, then I can see why expecting Porsche to pay for replacing dead sensor batteries (ie replacing the TPMS sensor as its not serviceable from what I understand) would be expected.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Is it a case of the sensor batteries having run their course? I'd have thought the batteries lasted longer than 4 years, but I don't know. If the batteries normally ran down in the sensors, then the sensors need replacing. Not really a warranty issue because they are a consumable item that is expected to need replacing.. so its not a product failure, but a product wearing out as expected.

Now if the warranty covers a service item as well, then I can see why expecting Porsche to pay for replacing dead sensor batteries (ie replacing the TPMS sensor as its not serviceable from what I understand) would be expected.
Whatever the case, they're failing and it's specifically covered. Problem is, they would only replace IF it throws a code regardless if it actually works or not?!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 C4S, purchased new, and when one of my sensors failed in November, 2011 (car out of warranty), the dealer replaced all four for free after checking with their PCNA district service rep.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:37 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:

Called PCNA last week, talked to this very nice lady and she was surprised and said basically if it fails, it needs to be replaced, BUT she has to check with regional representative or something like that.

So, then I get a call back this week (same woman), and she said that based on the regional representative if there's no ECU error code, they can't replace it and that's it... she wasn't even interested in discussing the matter and was quite rude this time around and basically said the rep said this and that's the bottom line.

So, I guess I need to wait for the car to throw codes!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:00 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
UPDATE:

Called PCNA last week, talked to this very nice lady and she was surprised and said basically if it fails, it needs to be replaced, BUT she has to check with regional representative or something like that.

So, then I get a call back this week (same woman), and she said that based on the regional representative if there's no ECU error code, they can't replace it and that's it... she wasn't even interested in discussing the matter and was quite rude this time around and basically said the rep said this and that's the bottom line.

So, I guess I need to wait for the car to throw codes!
Alex, I would suppose the distinction is an ECU code indicates a fault in the system, either the transmitters or the receivers, and that would be a covered failure. But the sensors also quit working as a natural thing when their battery dies. That's not a fault, just an end-of-life condition for the sensor. And I suspect it would not create a fault code even if all four reached that condition. The system would just start showing dashes instead of pressures, and the dreaded exclamation point would appear. But it wouldn't be a fault. Just something for the owner to remedy.

This distinction seems obvious to my geeky engineering mind, but I have a feeling it isn't to everyone. I suppose it's like a tire that goes flat without road damage. If it happens at 1000 miles, that's a failure. If it happens at 40,000 miles with the tread worn down to the cord, that's life.

Does that make sense, Alex?

Gary
Old 10-29-2012, 03:02 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
The TPMS system is able to determine , from 4 identical sensors, mounted just a few feet apart, exactly which individual wheel is sending the signal.
This experience has left me wondering just how do they do that ?
Which antenna is getting the strongest signal. The car has pick-ups at all four corners. That's also why it complains if you have more than four sensors within radio range.

Gary
Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Based on what I know, it looks like the sensors in my '07 are reaching the end of their battery life. I've only seen a fault code once and one sensor consistently fails to give a reading. This car is 1.5 years out of warranty so I'm not expecting PCNA to give me a goodwill fix on this.

Long story short, I'm going to pick up 4 new sensors and the next time I do tires have the old ones replaced. Is there any coding or programming that has to be done or will the system just figure out which new sensor is in which wheel?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:28 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
Based on what I know, it looks like the sensors in my '07 are reaching the end of their battery life. I've only seen a fault code once and one sensor consistently fails to give a reading. This car is 1.5 years out of warranty so I'm not expecting PCNA to give me a goodwill fix on this.

Long story short, I'm going to pick up 4 new sensors and the next time I do tires have the old ones replaced. Is there any coding or programming that has to be done or will the system just figure out which new sensor is in which wheel?
Assuming you get the right sensors (use your VIN when ordering), the system figures everything out.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:59 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these sensors have a useful life of 4-6 years and it's not something that I've seen replaced under warranty before. It's similar to a battery (the batteries die) in the sense that it's a replaceable item and considered a service item if and when....

I think you can get a set for about $400 and you'd have to dismount and remount the tires to refit them but in the grand scheme of things they're not to terribly expensive.

I'd asked before about simply replacing the battery in the sensor itself but it's apparently not user replaceable.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd not expect the batteries to be user replicable. The angular rotation those sensors are subjected to in the wheels, I'd expect the entire assembly is very securely and permanently bonded together. To allow batter replacement would mean you had to design it to come apart, and that is a liability for something spinning around on the inside of the wheel and tire like that.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:00 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BevHillsPorsche
these sensors have a useful life of 4-6 years and it's not something that I've seen replaced under warranty before. It's similar to a battery (the batteries die) in the sense that it's a replaceable item and considered a service item if and when....

I think you can get a set for about $400 and you'd have to dismount and remount the tires to refit them but in the grand scheme of things they're not to terribly expensive.

I'd asked before about simply replacing the battery in the sensor itself but it's apparently not user replaceable.
Well, then you might have to look into the warranty coverage, as it's covered!

Probably Beverly Hills clients don't bother asking?

Quick Reply: TPMS intermittant failure - Porsche doesn't replace under warranty!