Sponsored by:

Getting ready to buy...guidance needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 AM
YBStar2
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to buy...guidance needed

Hey all. I have been lurking around the boards for a bit admiring everybody's rides. To introduce myself, I’m a 33yo newly-minted surgeon who has been looking to buy a Porsche for sometime. The first Porsche i fell in love with was the 996 C4S. I am now in the position to purchase one. As far as my budget, I'd like to keep it at 45k or less. Preferably under 50k miles. Also, I plan on paying in cash (i hate being in debt). I am not too concerned about resale value, as plan on keeping my car for the foreseeable future. In performing my due diligence, i realize that my choices are as follows:

CPO 997C2
Private sale C2S
Private/Dealer sale 996 Turbo
Private/Dealer sale 996 C4S (i can save 5-7k with this option)

I have heard the phrase "buy the newest you can afford" and it makes reasonable sense. That would push me toward the 997. However, I am one of those wh actually really likes the MKII 996 look. It seems as if the turbo is the most bang for the buck, by far. Furthermore, the Metzger engine is quite bulletproof/reliable with no IMS/RMS issues. That being said, how much should I be concerned by the prospect of buying a 10year-old car? Issues with maintenance and parts availability?

I have a buddy with a 1996 993 with 200k miles and another with a 2002 C4S with 80k miles, and they both swear by the reliability and nearly non-existent maintenance worries of their vehicles.Long post, I know, and I realize that I’m kind of allover the place, but I’m just trying to make the wisest and most informed decision on what i see as an awesome opportunity to own my first Porsche. Any input is much appreciated. I look forward to joining the community

Thanks in advance.

YB
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YBStar2
Hey all. I have been lurking around the boards for a bit admiring everybody's rides. To introduce myself, I’m a 33yo newly-minted surgeon who has been looking to buy a Porsche for sometime. The first Porsche i fell in love with was the 996 C4S. I am now in the position to purchase one. As far as my budget, I'd like to keep it at 45k or less. Preferably under 50k miles. Also, I plan on paying in cash (i hate being in debt). I am not too concerned about resale value, as plan on keeping my car for the foreseeable future. In performing my due diligence, i realize that my choices are as follows:

CPO 997C2
Private sale C2S

I have heard the phrase "buy the newest you can afford" and it makes reasonable sense. That would push me toward the 997. However, I am one of those wh actually really likes the MKII 996 look. It seems as if the turbo is the most bang for the buck, by far. Furthermore, the Metzger engine is quite bulletproof/reliable with no IMS/RMS issues. That being said, how much should I be concerned by the prospect of buying a 10year-old car? Issues with maintenance and parts availability?

I have a buddy with a 1996 993 with 200k miles and another with a 2002 C4S with 80k miles, and they both swear by the reliability and nearly non-existent maintenance worries of their vehicles.Long post, I know, and I realize that I’m kind of allover the place, but I’m just trying to make the wisest and most informed decision on what i see as an awesome opportunity to own my first Porsche. Any input is much appreciated. I look forward to joining the community

Thanks in advance.

YB
$45k or less would be pushing it for a 997 C2S even with higher miles. 996 C4S or even turbo are definitely possible, go out there and drive and get the one that speaks to your soul (cliche I know) not just your wallet!

Good Luck!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't make a wrong choice....I'll second going for a test drive-
Personally I'd narrow it to c2S or 996T. I prefer the lightweight responsiveness of a 2s over a 4s; although the 4s does have beautiful body work. And I'd defn go for a S so that your happy with the power long term. Check out some posts on 2S vs 4S; and Manual versus Auto these topics have been debated multiple times.
Do you live where there may be inclment weather? That many factor into 2S versus 4S/Turbo.
No two porsches are the same- each is highly customizable... Happy hunting - don't rush it- the thrill of the chase is something you won't forget.
my 2cents
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 AM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a good look at the 996 cabin vs. the 997 cabin. The 996 really looks outdated when you compare them. Since you spend time 'inside' the car I'd make the cabin features a prime consideration. Not that the 996 Turbo isn't a great ride. I think you'll find the 997.2S (aspirated) to be pretty thrilling in terms of performance and handling. If you live in an area that gets a lot of rain fall the 4S certainly might be a better choice.

Either way good luck w/ your search.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

When you get into a 996-anything, it is already two models behind the times. For me, the 997 interior comes pretty close to their 993 and 911 interiors. The 996 interior was a significant departure for Porsche--which they found was a mistake.

You should use some caution with buying a 996 Turbo with less miles because it wasn't getting enough use. You will pay for that later with infant mortality things coming up that never got sorted out originally. Today's 997s and 991s are probably the most reliable "911s" ever produced. 50,000 miles is nothing for these cars. Take your time looking. There will plenty of cars ultimately to chose from. I would recommend a 997S--it seems to be the better bang for the buck. CPO is the way to go if you want some added piece of mind. Perhaps you can find a nice 997S from 2008. But do spend a little bit more just to buy yourself a little more piece of mind.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock vs. Stock don't assume the old 996turbo is faster than a 997S, especially now that the 996's are at least what... 7-8yrs old minimum. And, well, maybe I've just encountered 996tt drivers who can't drive.

Drive both.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by YBStar2

CPO 997C2
Private sale C2S

Thanks in advance.

YB
With a 45K budget you're in -06 C2, C4, C2S and C4S territory with no need to consider a 996. Drive or just sit in a 996 and 997 back to back and chances are you'll agree.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

+1 on driving the 997. I went from a 996 cab to a 997 C4,the interior alone was worth it.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:16 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would second Dan's advice (Edgy). Aim for a 2008 C2S, CPO if you can and enjoy it. Join the local Porsche club and do a few DE events (when you have time and are not too tired), Eventually you'll want your Metzger engine in the form of a GT3 or TT. Don't drive one yet...else you'll be doing plastics in order to afford one sooner.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:38 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AP997S
Take a good look at the 996 cabin vs. the 997 cabin. The 996 really looks outdated when you compare them. Since you spend time 'inside' the car I'd make the cabin features a prime consideration. Not that the 996 Turbo isn't a great ride. I think you'll find the 997.2S (aspirated) to be pretty thrilling in terms of performance and handling. If you live in an area that gets a lot of rain fall the 4S certainly might be a better choice.

Either way good luck w/ your search.
+1 on the 997.2 cabin and PDK (if you're not specific looking for a stick shift)

I was going through the same process a few months back and went 997.2
Old 10-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Dont worry about 2005 Models & ims nightmares, they are solid cars, also the good news is if you buy an early production 2005 you can totally secure yourself by installing the LN bearing when you get a new clutch. You can't do this with the later production ones and any above

Quick Reply: Getting ready to buy...guidance needed