Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&M vs Porsche SSK

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

i came across a kit from gemballa in the german ebay, for 249€ and comes with aluminum shift ****, typical simple installation, took me maybe an hour, and i can't/i won't! go back, its snickitysnick feeling and i love the look...i am having a small leather centering ring made to finish the graspation of the boot...

Last edited by kkswow12; 06-11-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by kkswow12
i came across a kit from gemballa in the german ebay, for 249€ and comes with aluminum shift ****, typical simple installation, took me maybe an hour, and i can't/i won't! go back, its snickitysnick feeling and i love the look...i am having a small leather centering ring made to finish the graspation of the boot...
I briefly looked at Gembella's website and noted that they offer two versions of their short shifter, a sport and race version. It looks like you have the race version. When looking at the pictures closely the only differences I could see were in the shaft and shift ****. The bushings may also vary but they don't offer any real description or details. I like the idea of a snickitysnick shift action but would love to retain the standard shift ****. Anyone know more about the Gembella sport SSK?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Is there any possible way to get rid of the leather boot altogether and have a sweet metal shift gate put in the car. I love the old style ferrari gates and would love to have somethting like that in the car
Old 10-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Poshaman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
How hard/easy is it to install one of these ssk's?
Not very hard. Removing the center console takes time. Just make sure that the car key is not in the ignition during the installation or you will get an airbag warning light.

Last edited by Poshaman; 10-11-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Originally Posted by Little Green
Is there any possible way to get rid of the leather boot altogether and have a sweet metal shift gate put in the car. I love the old style ferrari gates and would love to have somethting like that in the car
research! i could dig that as well, but it would take away from the 'organic' look happenin here and now
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kkswow12
Is that a pic of your interior? or from the gemballa website. Really nice looking leather center console. How do you like it and was it added afterwards or from the factory.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Is that a pic of your interior? or from the gemballa website. Really nice looking leather center console. How do you like it and was it added afterwards or from the factory.
well, i thank you for the compliment, it is my car, and as a matter of fact i did add the leathr center console after i got the car...one in a kazillion that console and the leather inserts that go in front of the door latch and contain the window switches came up for sale on ebay.de about 2 weeks after i bought the car...no one was looking at them, had about 10 views, and no one bid on them...i got all 3 pieces for an obscene! amount! of! euros!!! i was/still am so jazzed about it...the right color and 3 of the best pieces of leather addition options in perfect shape and bought the ssk about the same time and did the install... and i NEVER win anything...lotto, bets, cruises, you know, but wow...sorry you asked? of course my wife couldn't see the joy of it all, but then, i did, so...meant to be, i guess, oh and, yes, they are factory pieces
Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

P.S. only thing is the pieces, console and doorhandle trim were from a 997.2 cab and had a hole in the console next to the e-brake handle , you can kinda see the piece of aluminum i crafted to cover the hole with double helix reverse convex/concave curves and polished it and managed to get it mounted so it looks 'kinda' oem, but for the price of whatever switch i would have to uy and it wouldn't be a functioning piece anyway, this is just fine...and then had to make a piece of aluminum to fit in the second hole where on the door handle trim piece there would be a second switch for the rear windows in the cab, and as you can probably tell, i'm kinda proud of those too, again couldn't justify the cost of dummy window switch which just sits there, will show a pic of that as well...
Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Sounds like you did better than winning at lotto... most lotto winners only make out with $5 or $10 and those leather bits are worth ~$3K just for the center console. You did some nice metal work/fitment with the aluminum piece... I did not even notice it until you called it out. So do you have access to a machine shop for the metal work? I will have to start looking at ebay again... I've been contemplating an all leather center console for some time now. Don't want to hijack this thread anymore but would be great if you could post some pics of your handy work on a separate posting.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:40 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

thanks,, i will post a couple of pics, but i didn't have a mchine shop, just a hacksaw, hammer and a vise and a buffing machine, i can work with my hands pretty good, ah,er, well, and ebay was my lotto i guess, not complaining, at all! after all, i am driving a PCAR, and for my money, the best porsche ever...and macadamia over natural brown, well,,,,,,,,,, i rest my case...
Old 10-12-2012, 09:04 AM
rccman100
Advanced

just curious about how the effort required changes between stock and these two kits. I always assumed physics wins and shorter throws must mean more effort required (leverage). But maybe I'm missing something...
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Originally Posted by rccman100
just curious about how the effort required changes between stock and these two kits. I always assumed physics wins and shorter throws must mean more effort required (leverage). But maybe I'm missing something...
maybe so, but i can't tell, it just feels cleaner, crisper, like garden fresh celery over day old...
Old 10-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Question: Does the height stay the same as stock?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

hey, i just realized, i think i am burglarizing this thread with my gemballa stick et al, i apologize, will butt out, is a good kit though... cheers
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by rccman100
That's one factor and you would think that it should require some more effort but how much also depends on how tight the shifter is setup... or the resistance of the shifter... let's call that "stiction". The Porsche SSK will have a fixed setting whereas the B&M's "stiction" is adjustable. My setup is tight(like a Weatherby bolt action) so requires a little more muscle then previously but locks into the gates without question. If you loosen, however, the adjustment nut inside the mechanism then it could be set looser than the stock shifter and may be easier to shift even though it's shorter... it's up to you. Although I did not set it up for sloppy "stiction" I suspect that on the other extreme it would be looser than the stock shifter.

Quick Reply: B&M vs Porsche SSK