Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) '10 C4S 6 sp. coupe - Wrnty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
Default New (to me) '10 C4S 6 sp. coupe - Wrnty?

Hello all:

I just bought, from a private party, a one owner, '10 C4S coupe with 6 speed in showroom condition with 8K miles on it. It is meteor gray with black interior. Car has not got a single mark on it and looks like it has never been out of the garage. It has never been in the rain either. Multi function wheel, turbo wheels, clear bra, heated seats, XM, Bose high end, Navi, etc. It does not have sport chrono but I understand I can add that system but will not be able to add the little dash timer.

I will pick the car up next Saturday and post pictures when it is in my garage.

I have a question about buying a extended warranty- it still has over 2 years left on the factory warranty. It will be my wife's car and she only drives about 8K a year. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to recommend an extended warranty company as well as what I can expect to pay to cover the car through 7 years. I have seen some threads about Fidelity warranties but opinions seem to be all over the place.

Thanks a lot-
Michael
Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3rd party warranty questions always result in a large amount of varying responses. From they are all crap to mine saved me thousands. I think it's a personal decision. I was picking my 997 up from my dealership last week. My (trusted) service advisor was on the phone with a third party warranty company working on a alternator claim. When he hung up I posed the question, "Who is the best third party warranty company?"

His respone was none. He went on to explain things we don't often hear or know about. Here is just one example he stated:

Even the best don't cover little things like 10 cent new fasteners, clamps, etc. He said the techs don't want to reuse or hunt down silly little parts that should be not be reused when putting a car back together. Granted it's wrong but it's reality. So if the tech doesn't have nice new (albeit cheap) little items that a 3rd party doesn't cover guess what happens. Previously used pieces don't seat down again properly. Trim fasteners get lost....oh well I have 6 of the 8 I will just space out the 6 I have...

Just sharing the service advisors opinion. And trust me he wasn't bashing 3rd party warranties he was just telling it like it is as he came from a service bay to an advisor desk.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Michael, I'm not 100% but I think that the original owner of the vehicle is able to get an "extended warranty" from Porsche before the original warranty expires. Could be worth asking the seller if he can extend the warranty for you for an additional two years with Porsche before he sells. I think its about 2-2.5k for the extra two years. That would take you up to 2016
Old 10-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by cairo94507
Hello all:

I just bought, from a private party, a one owner, '10 C4S coupe with 6 speed in showroom condition with 8K miles on it. It is meteor gray with black interior. Car has not got a single mark on it and looks like it has never been out of the garage. It has never been in the rain either. Multi function wheel, turbo wheels, clear bra, heated seats, XM, Bose high end, Navi, etc. It does not have sport chrono but I understand I can add that system but will not be able to add the little dash timer.

I will pick the car up next Saturday and post pictures when it is in my garage.

I have a question about buying a extended warranty- it still has over 2 years left on the factory warranty. It will be my wife's car and she only drives about 8K a year. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to recommend an extended warranty company as well as what I can expect to pay to cover the car through 7 years. I have seen some threads about Fidelity warranties but opinions seem to be all over the place.

Thanks a lot-
Michael
To add to what Mark H. said, check with the dealer or dealers where you'll have the car serviced and any warranty work done.

Probably given your location that's Stead in Walnut Creek (Eric is the SM there) or Livermore Porsche (John is the SM there) or even visit the dealers and speak with the techs and get their warranty company feedback.

It is the techs that deal with the warranty adjusters directly.

Also, it is the techs that are your representative when a claim is filed. This can be a bit of an ordeal for the tech as he has to answer each question and sometimes the techs tell me the adjuster asks about a "zillion" questions seeking answers, any answer, to justify denying the claim. The techs will be honest with the adjuster of course as they will be with you. Since the techs deal with these adjusters directly the techs can tell you which company or companies are better to deal with.

At the same time you learn which warranty company you want to sign up with learn also what you can do to make the job of the tech easier in case a claim is filed.

When I bought my used car it came with a CPO warranty. The dealer tried to get me to give up this and take on a Fidelity warranty. My limited knowledge is Fidelity is a good company but I preferred to remain under the protection of a Porsche backed CPO warranty.

The CPO warranty was used seveval times and there was never any push back. The car went in with a symptom and the techs id'd the cause and it was fixed and that was that.

Since I was planning on covering a lot ground with this car in particular, I wanted a warranty that would be good in Livermore CA, Sacramento CA, Fresno CA, Oklahoma City OK, Wichita KS, Merriam KS, Springfield MO, Bend OR, or any of the various dealers I have used or would use in my travels should a problem arise.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on your new car.
Pictures are obligatory, or it didn't happen
Relative to the Sports Chrono option, I noticed you have a 6 speed. Sports Chrono won't have much effect on your enjoyment of the car-PDK tranny is a different story, and Sports Chrono is a must-have.
I'm interested in replies to this, as my warranty is up early next year. I'm getting it serviced this month, and plan on asking the dealer whom they like dealing with. I think that's the most important part of aftermarket insurance-how they work with the dealers.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:34 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. I have already asked the seller to call the selling dealership (to him) and see if he can buy the extended warranty. He said he would be happy to. I will let you know.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Well...according to the original selling dealership, to the original buyer, he can not buy the Porsche extended warranty since he did not buy it at the time he purchased the car.... Does anyone know differently?

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Won't some dealers do a CPO (which gets you the CPO warranty) for a fee?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

If you feel the need for an extended warranty then CPO would be ideal. I purchased an extended 3rd party warranty policy for my M3 a dozen years ago based on my Indy's recommendation and the reference of many friends... the company had been around for 20+ yrs, great reputation, etc. But they went belly up 4 months later along with my $2K full payment... the one time cash and carry did not pay off. If you go the route of a 3rd party do the extended payment plan JIC. These cars are more above average with regards to reliability per JD Power, Consumer Report, and my own experience. Other than catastrophic engine failure... I've found that many things are servicable if your a good wrench hand. I had almost 2 yrs of warranty and another 2 of CPO on my '08. I have yet to get my money's worth out of that as I've only had 1 tpms sensor replaced. It was comforting, however, to not worry about it as this is my 1st p-car.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM
autopc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
To add to what Mark H. said, check with the dealer or dealers where you'll have the car serviced and any warranty work done.

Probably given your location that's Stead in Walnut Creek (Eric is the SM there) or Livermore Porsche (John is the SM there) or even visit the dealers and speak with the techs and get their warranty company feedback.

It is the techs that deal with the warranty adjusters directly.

Also, it is the techs that are your representative when a claim is filed. This can be a bit of an ordeal for the tech as he has to answer each question and sometimes the techs tell me the adjuster asks about a "zillion" questions seeking answers, any answer, to justify denying the claim. The techs will be honest with the adjuster of course as they will be with you. Since the techs deal with these adjusters directly the techs can tell you which company or companies are better to deal with.

At the same time you learn which warranty company you want to sign up with learn also what you can do to make the job of the tech easier in case a claim is filed.

When I bought my used car it came with a CPO warranty. The dealer tried to get me to give up this and take on a Fidelity warranty. My limited knowledge is Fidelity is a good company but I preferred to remain under the protection of a Porsche backed CPO warranty.

The CPO warranty was used seveval times and there was never any push back. The car went in with a symptom and the techs id'd the cause and it was fixed and that was that.

Since I was planning on covering a lot ground with this car in particular, I wanted a warranty that would be good in Livermore CA, Sacramento CA, Fresno CA, Oklahoma City OK, Wichita KS, Merriam KS, Springfield MO, Bend OR, or any of the various dealers I have used or would use in my travels should a problem arise.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I am considering a pre-owned PDK C2S or C4S. I am probably going through what everyone else does. Porsche CPO or after market warranty? You bring up excellent points.

Thanks

Quick Reply: New (to me) '10 C4S 6 sp. coupe - Wrnty?