Sponsored by:

Missing my fogs

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:46 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Missing my fogs

When I purchased my 997.2 I was somewhat surprised that the model does not have fog lights. This morning I drove to work in the densest fog I've seen in years. Headlights are so bright they made visibility worse. I switched to just parking lights but they seemed too dim. I decided to just go with lights off and daytime runners. Two miles from home, I get pulled over for driving with my lights off.

Nice job Porsche. I assume they save money by NOT equipiong the car with fogs.

I would appreciate your constructive thoughts as this is mostly an intelligent group. I'll also happily accept wise a$$ comments as long as they are funny.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

No fogs if you pull the headlight switch, when lights on?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM
PCC
Instructor

997.2 does not have fogs
Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Are you refering to a smaller addition light located below the main headlight ? Never seen them on a 997.2

Last edited by Mumbles; 10-03-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Poshaman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
When I purchased my 997.2 I was somewhat surprised that the model does not have fog lights. This morning I drove to work in the densest fog I've seen in years. Headlights are so bright they made visibility worse. I switched to just parking lights but they seemed too dim. I decided to just go with lights off and daytime runners. Two miles from home, I get pulled over for driving with my lights off.

Nice job Porsche. I assume they save money by NOT equipiong the car with fogs.

I would appreciate your constructive thoughts as this is mostly an intelligent group. I'll also happily accept wise a$$ comments as long as they are funny.
I never realized that 997.2 didn't come with fog lights until now. What were they thinking?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

I think Porsche felt that with the increased light output and improved dispersion of the Bi-Xenon headlights that became standard on the 997.2, fog lights became sort of redundant. My Cayenne S has both optional Bi-Xenon headlights and fog lights. Honestly, the low level brightness and dispersion of the Bi-Xenons is so good, I can barely tell whether the fogs are on or off.

To the OP; if you're getting a lot of scatter from your low beams in the fog, maybe they need adjusting. It gets very foggy sometimes in my area and I haven't noticed a problem. Also, not to be a wise-***, but I've been in fog that was so dense that I just shouldn't have been trying to drive in it at all, and no lighting including fogs, would have made it a difference.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Poshaman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think Porsche felt that with the increased light output and improved dispersion of the Bi-Xenon headlights that became standard on the 997.2, fog lights became sort of redundant. My Cayenne S has both optional Bi-Xenon headlights and fog lights. Honestly, the low level brightness and dispersion of the Bi-Xenons is so good, I can barely tell whether the fogs are on or off.

To the OP; if you're getting a lot of scatter from your low beams in the fog, maybe they need adjusting. It gets very foggy sometimes in my area and I haven't noticed a problem. Also, not to be a wise-***, but I've been in fog that was so dense that I just shouldn't have been trying to drive in it at all, and no lighting including fogs, would have made it a difference.
Yes, but you still have to get home. You certainly are not going to leave the car on the side of the road just because you are in a dense fog.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Poshaman
Yes, but you still have to get home. You certainly are not going to leave the car on the side of the road just because you are in the dense fog.
Of course not, although you may have to slow to a crawl. My point was that sometimes fog can be so dense that regardless of your lighting system, including fog lights, it's not going to be comfortable or completely safe to drive, even though you may have to do it anyway.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 PM
PCC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Are you refering to a smaller addition light located below the main headlight ? Never seen them on a 997.2
I assume you're attempting a joke? See my earlier post ... keep them funny
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

As far as i know our cars have fog as stated above for the rears when you pull the headlight switch when the lights are on. It lights up a potion in the tails the is bright enough for cars in the rear to see you. Havent noticed if they do something to the front lighting. I suppose they brighten the park lit to drl brightness but still have to check. Have you tried pulling the switch on your car?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I do have a suggestion for people who encounter a lot of fog in their driving. You can convert the halogen lamp in the headlight to an all weather or fully yellow fog light bulb. Our bi zenons have a an h7 bulb you can easily change.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Ok,if you want to hear something funny about fog and lights...True story! I swear it didn't happen to me but to somebody I know.
He was driving on a 2 lane country road,not too many cars around. The fog was so dense you couldn't even see a foot away! Lights,fog lights...didn't matter. At this point he decides there's no way he can drive any further as he was already moving at 5 mph and driving completely blind. He had decided to pull over,but right before that he saw the lights of another car,van,SUV...who knows...that kept driving. He started following it,as he thought ' I can use the other car's tailights to guide me through this fog and hopefully to a main road '.
He started following...the other car was going 10-15 mph,sometimes slowing down to 5 mph,making a right,a left etc. At some point the car in front stops and the guy stops as well,waiting...at one point,the car in front starts moving slowly,the guy behind follows,he feels a bump in the road and then the car in front stops again and not moving this time. The guy behind starts wondering what's going on...until he hears a knock on his window. He opens the window and the guy in front says : ' What the heck are you doing in my backyard ?! '
Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by slicky rick
As far as i know our cars have fog as stated above for the rears when you pull the headlight switch when the lights are on. It lights up a potion in the tails the is bright enough for cars in the rear to see you.
Yes.

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Havent noticed if they do something to the front lighting. I suppose they brighten the park lit to drl brightness.......
No.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
I assume you're attempting a joke? See my earlier post ... keep them funny

The P is your Mums car and its the first time you drove it .
Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

If your 997II low beams are illuminating high....into your field of vision, you might consider getting the beam angle checked.
The high tech capability of these lights allows incredible tweaking of light-to-no-light on the beam angle......far more than any conventional fogs that were just low & short on distance.
Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Missing my fogs