Sponsored by:

Missing my fogs

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 192 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
This whole discussion is moot, the OP STATED he *misses* his fogs on previous car, and the new car b-xenons do not do as a good job... and like everyone's trying to justify WHY that's not the case?! Give me a break!
My original point was that if the fog was so bad that the OP was unable to see with his Bi-Xenons, then fog lights, whether he missed having them or not, probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway. I think that's relevant to his original statement. Just my opinion and something to discuss here on the old RL. Your and his MMV. Here, take a break....
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

"..fog lights.....probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway..."

BS.

Harsh, but true.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wwest
"..fog lights.....probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway..."

BS.

Harsh, but true.
The OP stated he was "in the worst fog he'd seen in years". I wasn't there, but I've been in tule fog so heavy in CA's Central Valley that no lighting would have made a difference (visibility can be less than 1 foot). I speculated the OP's experience might have been similar and offered an opinion based on that. Apparently you've never been in fog that heavy before.

To say my opinion is BS isn't harsh or true, it's just uninformed and rude.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:28 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I trust the OP, who was actually THERE and apparently exerienced, to know when fog lights would have helped.

I have often encountered fog on sections of I5 so thick/dense that I pulled into a rest area to wait for improved conditions. Landing with a ground fog over a runway is no fun either, good vision of the runway right up to almost touchdown.

Rain so heavy near Ford Smith and into OK that several roadside stops were made.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Poshaman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 82_930
Do you say that after drinking too much also? Not trying to provoke anyone here, trust me, but sometimes leaving the car behind is a better idea. If you can't see where you are going leaving the car in a parking lot is cheaper than a car accident. I also agree, however, that the car should have fog lights being that it is a problem.
I think we all are not stupid enough to drive after drinkng too much. But I was talking about driving in a dense fog in the remote area. What are you going to do after leave your car? Call your wife or a friend to come and get you in a dense fog? That won't be smart. Walk? That won't be smart either. Unless you are going to call 911 for help, you sometimes have no choice but to just keep going (very slowly) with hazard lights on until you get out of the fog. Stopping in a dense fog could cause more hazardous situation IMHO.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wwest
I trust the OP, who was actually THERE and apparently exerienced, to know when fog lights would have helped.

I have often encountered fog on sections of I5 so thick/dense that I pulled into a rest area to wait for improved conditions. Landing with a ground fog over a runway is no fun either, good vision of the runway right up to almost touchdown.

Rain so heavy near Ford Smith and into OK that several roadside stops were made.
Fair enough. So clearly there ARE times when no lighting will help in fog and you just have to pull over. That's all I was suggesting and why I objected to you calling BS on that very fact.

Porsche obviously feels that fog lights aren't necessary if you have Bi-Xenons. I'm simply not buying the cost saving theory about a company that has historically valued proper lighting very highly. Besides, my experience with having both fogs and Bi-Xenons on the same vehicle bears out Porsche's POV. Clearly you and others disagree. Fine. That's why we have discussion boards where we can sort out these topics that are so highly important that we start insulting each other.

Quick Reply: Missing my fogs