Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70,000 Mile Summary

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 AM
trcox57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post Dan. Just passed ODO of 40,000 miles and 4 yrs of owning my 2006 C2S and loving every minute of it. The car feels like it's really settling into a comfortable "drive feel" for me...but then maybe that's just me really getting used to it. After a hard week at work, there is nothing like starting up "Zelda" and heading out for a drive...
Other than the usual stuff...I had to replace the water pump(I paid), clutch friction plate and the battery cable(warranty). Looking forward to owning for years to come if I can resist the urge for a 997 turbo.....
Old 09-29-2012, 12:50 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by trcox57
Great post Dan. Just passed ODO of 40,000 miles and 4 yrs of owning my 2006 C2S and loving every minute of it. The car feels like it's really settling into a comfortable "drive feel" for me...but then maybe that's just me really getting used to it. After a hard week at work, there is nothing like starting up "Zelda" and heading out for a drive...
Other than the usual stuff...I had to replace the water pump(I paid), clutch friction plate and the battery cable(warranty). Looking forward to owning for years to come if I can resist the urge for a 997 turbo.....
I saw some 997 2013 Turbos this morning at my dealers.......gorgeous......one in Ruby Red!! If they were sticks I might have fantasized a little!!

Again.......the 997 stands out so much from the 991....no contest to these eyes!

Tom
Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

trcox........does your wife ever ask you if these are named after any "unforgettable" old girlfriends?

Tom
Old 09-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I saw some 997 2013 Turbos this morning at my dealers.......gorgeous......one in Ruby Red!! If they were sticks I might have fantasized a little!!

Again.......the 997 stands out so much from the 991....no contest to these eyes!

Tom
Tom - what ever you do don't go drive a TT. The engine and power is intoxicating. You'll soon be under the influence and reaching for your check book. Joel
Old 09-29-2012, 05:33 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Tom - what ever you do don't go drive a TT. The engine and power is intoxicating. You'll soon be under the influence and reaching for your check book. Joel
Joel....I'm very afraid of that!!!! Only thing that helps is that my checkbook doesn't have much in it!!

Tom
Old 09-30-2012, 02:46 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Turned 70,000 miles yesterday. It's hard to believe that I have logged that many miles since that Tuesday in Zuffenhausen when it showed 7 kilometers on the odometer.

When you actually drive these things you get to shake out the little infant mortality issues that often get passed onto the next buyer who's thrilled to get a "low mileage" car.

What has failed, and what has worked?

The water pump, a couple of coolant caps, a premature serpentine belt death (and come along roller), and a very few rattles here and there--but that's mostly all I remember. Or course, I'm still pouring oil in it every 1000 miles but I'm so used to that I don't even think about it anymore. The service shop sealed up the side mirrors--they would whistle at certain speeds. I also had a wind deflector replaced--all of this stuff was under warranty. They also replaced the base to the right passenger seat--bad sensor for the weight sensing for air bags.

I do the oil changes roughly every 6000 miles, along with brake fluid changes roughly every 3 years. I do filter (cabin and air) changes when they look like they need it. I am still on the original spark plugs. (I have a replacement set sitting on the shelf). I have not even gone through half the pad thickness of both the from and rear brake pads. The PCCBs are worth it in deferred brake maintenance--and much less dust to boot!

I continue to replace tires two to one (rears to fronts) and have decided to stick to the Bridgestones. They work--no sense gambling with something else. Maybe next time. Other basic replacements have been the main battery, the TPMS sensors/batteries.

What have I added?

I'm pretty much a stock sort of guy--I am extremely happy with how I ordered the car in the first place. Since delivery I have slowly added a very few custom pieces. First, or course, was the hood liner for trunk protection, and a Valentine 1 for "situation awareness" and CocoMats for the floor--along with European front side markers. I built a set of rear luggage straps to keep things from flying around when I'm pushing it on the serpentine roads. I picked up a set of X51 headers which I cleaned up considerably before installing.

I went with the RotTec front and rear LED lights which make changing light bulbs something they used to do in the 20th Century. I also swapped out the license plate lights for LEDs and also changed the color temperature a bit on the Bi-Xenons. I put in PTS matching headlight washers, because I got such a good deal from Eric. (It would be a long wait before the next Blue Turquoise guy comes along to move those). I installed the electric module that lets my cab top function remotely (Smart Top) as well as the Tooki Bluetooth device so that I can be street legal with my cell phone--which works very well with my multifunction steering wheel.

I also installed a 12VDC plug into the front trunk--so that I can run my dielectric refrigerator up there during certain trips. I also put in that trunk liner that lets me be messy with what goes in there without impacting the bottom carpet. Went with a solid billet aluminum fuel cap with cord (to keep from losing that $125 hunk of alu). Finally, I had my rear exhaust tips (PSE) ceramically coated so that I don't have to clean them anymore.

Frankly, I'm amazed at how little maintenance is required of these modern Porsches. My favorite options? The PSE, the PCCBs, the full natural leather interior, and the PTS--so that I don't see myself coming and going every day in this town. Having moved up a long way from my 1981 Porsche 911 (narrow body Turbo) this 911 was so advanced, I'm still overwhelmed at its capabilities. The navigation system works well for me--I really understand it now, and having the extended module is handy when you want to repeat a route.

What do I wish they had done a little bit more of?

The remote 6-stack CD player should have the ability to play MP3s--like the main player. With that (or an iPod) you have no need to ever handle a CD again! Some of the interior parts should have been covered in leather instead of that crappy slush finish. While I found that I ordered fairly intelligently, it's nearly impossible to not miss something. I would have liked contrasting stitching--a darker color--just so that they wouldn't look bad in a few years. I would have liked the Massassar wood for the front seat belt openings (cabriolet) just because they would be a bit more durable than that slush stuff.

May we all be as fortunate with our 997s as I have been so far. I predict that the 997 will retain its value very well into the future. The design is popular, the price is right, and it will live on sort of like the liquid coolant version of the 993!
How much longer do you intend to keep yours Dan?. Are you ever tempted by the 991??
JIM
Old 09-30-2012, 03:56 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Joel....I'm very afraid of that!!!! Only thing that helps is that my checkbook doesn't have much in it!!

Tom
LOL Tom. Again, these cars are coming down in price, their pretty much bullet proof and many were bought by high-net worth individuals who owned multiple cars, thus the great options and low miliage. You never know what 'opportunity' will present itself before you (AKA your check book)...
Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 AM
trcox57
Instructor

trcox........does your wife ever ask you if these are named after any "unforgettable" old girlfriends?

Tom
Tom...She does ask me the source sometimes, but I never use old gf names ....just to be prudent. ...i name everything. Got into the habit after an old flight instructor friend who taught me to fly in the 70s named his airplanes. 1952 Cessna 195 was "Shaky Jake" and 1941 Luscombe was "Woodstock"....1959 Cessna 175..."Crazy Horse". For some reason they stick.
Tony
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by trcox57
Tom...She does ask me the source sometimes, but I never use old gf names ....just to be prudent. ...i name everything. Got into the habit after an old flight instructor friend who taught me to fly in the 70s named his airplanes. 1952 Cessna 195 was "Shaky Jake" and 1941 Luscombe was "Woodstock"....1959 Cessna 175..."Crazy Horse". For some reason they stick.
Tony
Cool!!! Tony....how the hell old are you.....300?

Tom
Old 09-30-2012, 11:49 AM
GregGH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do I wish they had done a little bit more of?
.... I would have liked the Massassar wood for the front seat belt openings (cabriolet) just because they would be a bit more durable than that slush stuff.

Great read - two questions if I may

1) what ( if any ) warning signs of water pump failure ??

2) can anyone explain the 'slush stuff' ( see quote above ) to a newbie ...

Thanks
Greg
Old 09-30-2012, 12:06 PM
krysFly
Instructor

70K? that's only 30 away from a 100, and a 130 from 200. Keep it going, congratulations, I am sure she appreciates the care.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
How much longer do you intend to keep yours Dan?. Are you ever tempted by the 991??
JIM
I'm probably both one of Porsche's best customers and their worst. I have been with Porsche since 1974. Yet, this is only my 4th Porsche. Thus, they probably aren't really happy with my buying patterns. I tend to keep my cars a long time. I generally sell them at around 125,000 miles, or when I start to consider that repair costs become out of hand. That was truer years ago, however, because cars were not as well built as they are today. I may have to revise my break even point to something higher like 150,000 miles!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

I'm probably both one of Porsche's best customers and their worst. I have been with Porsche since 1974. Yet, this is only my 4th Porsche. Thus, they probably aren't really happy with my buying patterns. I tend to keep my cars a long time. I generally sell them at around 125,000 miles, or when I start to consider that repair costs become out of hand. That was truer years ago, however, because cars were not as well built as they are today. I may have to revise my break even point to something higher like 150,000 miles!
They may be better built today but they're also much more complex....filled to the gills with all sorts of electronics that's expensive to replace and make DIY projects more difficult or impossible. How long can you keep an -06 997 under warranty anyway without spending ridiculous money? An IMS failure without warranty at 70,000 miles or above would cost more than half the value of the car to repair.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:15 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Kudos. Absolutely THE smartest way to Porsche ownership. I have a feeling the 992 should be a humdinger!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by GregGH
Great read - two questions if I may

1) what ( if any ) warning signs of water pump failure ??

Mine sprung a coolant leak at about 75K miles and the bearings started making a loud noise.

I have 78 K miles on mine and hope to beat Dan to 100K. Getting to be more difficult to do with 3 cars, though.

Quick Reply: 70,000 Mile Summary