Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Luckymba
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

So I noticed my coolant was down a bit. Bought some pink stuff and a new cap (just in case of evaporation) and filled it up. Went for a spirited 80 mile drive this weekend and came back and checked it. I threw a white sheet of paper down underneath what looked like the leak area. Sure enough I had a silver dollar sized pink spot on the paper after an hour - so it isn't a fast leak by any means. I guess my question is what am I looking at in the way of repair costs? Is this something that will get worse as I go or can I nurse it with more pink stuff when it hits the min? I appreciate the help.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 130 Posts

Might be the water pump. They are a known weakness and tend to start to leak / fail for some around the 50K mark. Might be worth looking there. Mine water pump went from a mild squeak to complete failure in less than 500 miles.

Matt
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Where is it leaking from based on your paper test?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Unfortunately, Porsche has a history of not designing good water pumps. (Too many years in the air-cooled side?) Mine died in short order on my 3.8 engine. It typically leaks directly below the engine, a bit favoring the driver's side (left). Since the replacement under warranty I have had no repeat problem.

This is one of those areas that hits those who drive these things too little the hardest. It's what I call an infant mortality issue--that probably never got to fail for you during the warranty period if you didn't drive it enough under the normal warranty.

Miles on the car? I seem to recall mine died around 38,000 miles.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

One could say Porsche is rather new with water pumps, up until 1999 all air-cooled engines.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckymba
So I noticed my coolant was down a bit. Bought some pink stuff and a new cap (just in case of evaporation) and filled it up. Went for a spirited 80 mile drive this weekend and came back and checked it. I threw a white sheet of paper down underneath what looked like the leak area. Sure enough I had a silver dollar sized pink spot on the paper after an hour - so it isn't a fast leak by any means. I guess my question is what am I looking at in the way of repair costs? Is this something that will get worse as I go or can I nurse it with more pink stuff when it hits the min? I appreciate the help.
Why let a vital fluid leak get worse?

And coolant is a vital fluid. Just try running your car's engine for any length of time without any coolant and see how far you get.

That there is a vital fluid leak should be reason enough to have the leak fixed.

The cooling system may not be able to retain pressure under high coolant temp conditions. In this case the hottest spots in the engine can flash the hot coolant to steam which forms pockets which blocks coolant flow.

Localized overheating occurs which can in the worst case ruin the engine. Even a bad head gasket with no collateral damage to the rest of the engine ain't a cheap repair.

Or the water pump can can let go catastrophically and even if the engine is unharmed you have to fix the water pump on its schedule not yours.

Ditto the coolant tank.

Or a hose.

Or a hose fitting/connector.

Wherever the leak is coming from.

Get the leak id'd and get the leak fixed.

Remember:

A guy
Who drives
A car coolant a aleakin',
Is not athinkin'
He's gettin' by asqueakin'

My apologies to Burma Shave.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 PM
229golfer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the same problem. My leak was from the passenger side near the front wheel. Turns out it is just the vent pipe of the cooling system that was leaking and it is a 35 dollar part. Take it to someone who will find the source of the leak. They can do a pressure test as they tried with mine but it did not leak when under pressure...so I took it for a spirited ride and heating her up. Came back and voila. The leak was found. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:56 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
One could say Porsche is rather new with water pumps, up until 1999 all air-cooled engines.
A bunch of 1977 924, 928 and 944 Porsche owners would differ with you.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Luckymba
Instructor

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info - and the burma shave poetry. Honestly didn't realize how big this could get - guess I did when I think about it but that's what these boards are for, to get perspective. I have an appt at the shop on Monday.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

A bunch of 1977 924, 928 and 944 Porsche owners would differ with you.

I owned a 928S and at PCA events the 911 drivers did not consider the 928 a true Porsche. Yes the Porschephiles of yore only knew a true Porsche as air-cooled and rear engine. Beating them on the rally courses did not help the matter at all.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The 928 in its day would blow the socks off any 911. It was finally a design by Porsche (Tony Lapine) that was unhindered by tradition (e.g., engine in rear, air-cooled...). The 911 mafia is alive and well in most regions.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak